Loose Substrate - is this Okay?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Loose Substrate - is this Okay?

Postby thermalsurfing10 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:15 pm

I was about to purchase this loose substrate off amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Critters-Comfort ... op?ie=UTF8) but wanted to make sure it was okay before pulling the trigger. "Critters Comfort Coconut Reptile Bedding Organic Substrate - Fine, 21 Quarts"

My three year old bearded dragon has been digging a lot lately and am planning on her new tank having a substrate with a mix of Play Sand/That Bedding/Slate Tiles

I cannot find any reviews mentioning risk of impaction for bearded dragons, only reviews mentioning it was too fine for other reptiles. Looks great from what I can tell so far, but it is still coconut husk.

Thank you
thermalsurfing10
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Loose Substrate - is this Okay?

Postby thermalsurfing10 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:33 pm

Bump
Please reply if you have an answer
thermalsurfing10
Newbie Poster

Postby thermalsurfing10 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:40 pm

Okay...
I think I will just go with all tile.
thermalsurfing10
Newbie Poster

Postby Gormagon » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:06 pm

thermalsurfing10 wrote:Okay...
I think I will just go with all tile.

I just saw your post and, believe me, you have made the right choice.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:39 am

thermalsurfing10 wrote:I was about to purchase this loose substrate off amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Critters-Comfort ... op?ie=UTF8) but wanted to make sure it was okay before pulling the trigger. "Critters Comfort Coconut Reptile Bedding Organic Substrate - Fine, 21 Quarts"

My three year old bearded dragon has been digging a lot lately and am planning on her new tank having a substrate with a mix of Play Sand/That Bedding/Slate Tiles

I cannot find any reviews mentioning risk of impaction for bearded dragons, only reviews mentioning it was too fine for other reptiles. Looks great from what I can tell so far, but it is still coconut husk.

Thank you

NO …. not for a bearded dragon .

OK for a Bluetongue skink though ( looks like course Kritters Krumple that I use for BT skinks mixed with shed eucalyptus leaves and bark ).

Tiles or lino or a few layers of paper towels are best for bearded dragons.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures