Cedar exposure??? Overreacting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LumpyLillian

So I just received an outdoor enclosure for a rabbi, however my intended use was for outdoor sunbasking for my bearded dragons.
Yesterday, I put it together, and I put one of my bearded dragons in there for about 15 minutes. Today I put another dragon inside and he moved around a bit, and I sprayed him with water and he started to lick the surrounding wood.
I looked at the type of wood that the enclosure was built of, and then looked up “bearded dragon + cedar”. By the time the search results loaded I IMMEDIATELY grabbed my dragon out of the enclosure, put him back in his tank and gave him more fresh water.

I’m keeping my eye on both dragons exposed to the cedar. They both were exposed for no more than 15 minutes, however one drank water off of the wood... Am I over reacting about this exposure??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It can be toxic but for that short of period of time, they should both be fine. Is the dragon
who licked the water off of the wood, acting normally?
If you have any doubts about toxicity, you could be proactive & give some activated charcoal
for a few days to help detoxify the system.
Is his beard normal colored or dark as it would be if he were in distress?

Tracie

LumpyLillian

Original Poster
Hey Tracie,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, Houdini (the one who drank water off the wood) is behaving normally. His beard is light, as usual. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

I’m probably overreacting, but I didn’t see anything online specifying length of time of exposure, etc. Do you think the cedar can be sealed with polyurethane?

Thank you again, I appreciate your quick response.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

You are welcome! So, it seems that Houdini is doing well, thankfully. He was very naughty
but luckily he hasn't had an adverse side effects. If his beard is normal colored then it sounds
like he will be just fine.
Let us know if anything changes!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom