Can't get beardie to eat outside of terrerium

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourenderme

Hey guys! Need some advice. I've been trying to train my bearded dragon to eat outside the terrarium so I don't have to track down a million crickets every day. He misses a lot of them if they are smaller and I have to wait for him to eat each one or they just disappear. I've tried a medium blue tote outside the terrarium, my medium sized cricket keeper outside the terrarium, as well as a clearing large cooking bowl inside the terrarium. If the item is clear and he can see the crickets he usually tries to eat them through the plastic UNTIL I put him inside. Then he just tries to escape...He has eating like one or two when inside sometimes, but is obviously not a fan. I've only been doing it for a day or so and attempting to feed with same methods 2-3x a day. I'm hoping he just gets hungry enough he eats them instead of trying to escape. Any tricks or methods that have worked for anyone? It would make bearded dragon sitting a lot easier too for our vacation coming up. Not many people want to pick up a bunch of hopping crickets unless they like bugs/reptiles, and I don't want him to get bitten at night.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
When I used to feed crickets, I used a large beer mug and tilted it so my dragon could see them. She ate as many as she wanted, and there were no bugs in her viv, "all was good in the dragon realm"!!!

yourenderme

Original Poster
Gormagon":3qfhf0ky said:
When I used to feed crickets, I used a large beer mug and tilted it so my dragon could see them. She ate as many as she wanted, and there were no bugs in her viv, "all was good in the dragon realm"!!!

Was the mug very textured inside? I just tried it with an old large hospital cup I have but as soon as he started going inside he backed up bc it was slippery. Now he won’t even try. I know he’s hungry bc when I put him back he immediately ate a large meal worm and continues to search for food.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Tilt it over just enough that the crickets almost climb out to the edge, that's how mine liked to eat them. On occasion she would venture inside to get the reluctant ones, lol!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom