Bearded dragon keeps hitting walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActiveOak

I’ve have my girl, Villgax, for a while now. (Thought he was a boy when I first got him, hens the Male sounding name) I’ve just finished setting up her new tank, she’s even in it before but we’ve just finished fixing the lights. As of.. 2 days ago she hasn’t been sleeping at the normal times. And as of today has been just.. walking into the wall. Not the glass, but the wooden sides of the tank. I don’t understand why. When I try move her away she just ends up crawling up my arm. When I put her on my chest she seems to calm down and just lay there, anywhere else she looks around and moves about. Help please.

ActiveOak

Original Poster
111360-6531221662.jpg
111360-9085143106.jpg
111360-2562694703.jpg
111360-9434879184.jpg
111360-8670993512.jpg

Those are the replacement bulbs. I haven’t needed to replace the UV bulb so I don’t know what that one is. It is night for me, so the night red bulb is on and the heat and UV bulb are off. This is how it’s always been since I got her and has never been issues with them. Also my room light is facing away from the tank, so the whole her seeing her reflexion thing doesn’t happen and she gets all puffy and mad about it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Those issues are now showing ---- please shut the red bulb off and get rid of it--- dragons have a 3rd eye on top of the head for predators and they have better eye sight than we do---- colored bulbs can cause long term eye damage --- get rid of it please -- the UVB as well --- coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues --- I am going to post links to what you need for a UVB
please get one of these a 24" fixture Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/a 12% bulb - the Zoo Med will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for back up you need a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb 22" for a 24" fixture ----
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 22" bulb and I see they are out of stock and I tried my other go to place and they are out of stock there as well --- the Pro T 5 is a great bulb --- I use the Arcadias in my Zoo Med fixtures --- please get this replaced ASAP--- when you get it please post back on here I will help you get it placed --- you have a nice big tank but you need to get your lighting fixed --- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- the top of the tank does it have a screen or wood?

ActiveOak

Original Poster
They’ve never been an issue before so I’m confused on that, but I do have a digital temp. And the top is wood. My dad drilled holes into it for the lamps. The lamps on top of the tank and a small layer of wire mesh which we used from her old tank. She has been in this tank for a while, before we drilled the holes and moved everything. So I’m not sure if it’s a real problem, or it’s just little stress from the tank being moved about. I also don’t get paid till Friday.

ActiveOak

Original Poster
It was also Zoo med things we got when we got the starter kid. Zoo med tank, light fixtures and bulbs. The UV bulb hasn’t been changed since I first got it. The other two have

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please read this and I cannot stress the importance of the colored bulbs------ your dragon is having eye issues w/ the coil and the colored bulb - the longer you use them the worse shes going to get ---
viewtopic.php?p=1945606
you need to get the UVB I posted ASAP --- if your tank is falling below 65 at nite then you need to get a CHE ceramic heat emitter --- it has heat and NO light ---- you want to mimic the sun for your lighting in the tank ----

ActiveOak

Original Poster
Okay. Thank you. I’ll get the light and all as soon as I’m paid. And I’ve just checked on her and the temp. She’s asleep, and the tank is at 34c

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If the temp is 34 its too hot needs to be between 65-75 F degrees at night --- for her to get a comfortable sleep --- dragons like dark and cool it helps them metabolize their system---- when you get the new UVB please post back on here and I will help you get it set up inside the tank --- distance and placement is crucial --- you should have 3 temps in that tank 95-100 for basking ----- 90's middle of the tank ------ and 80's during the day cool side of the tank

ActiveOak

Original Poster
I know you said to message back once I have the UV light, I have ordered it. But I want to really thank you. The red light no longer comes on during the night and she’s actually sleeping. I’m hoping her sleeping, and the red light no longer being there, will help get her appetite back and stop the running into walls thing

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When the UVB comes in let me know -- I will help you get it placed in the tank --- make sure your getting basking temps w/ the digital probe thermometer --- you dont want temps in the tank at night over 75 F --- they need it cool and dark to sleep -- I am hoping the running into walls will stop as well -- you wont need extra heat in the tank till it gets cold and temps drop below 65 F -- then you would need to invest in a heat projector or a CHE-- ceramic heat emitter --- they produce heat and NO light - the good UVB will increase her color and her appetite ---

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the top is a screen or a solid top? If its a solid top you did place inside the tank I am assuming --- the distance needs to be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom