scared that my beardie has tail rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

flights

worried my beardie has tail rot around half of his tail has turned black and his stress marks are super dark please help :( he isn't acting lethargic he's still very alert

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As Karrie requested, a picture or two would greatly help out.
Has your dragon had a recent tail injury or trouble shedding that would cause the tail to
become infected?

Tracie

flights

Original Poster
full
full

his tail looks a little dark he isn't acting lethargic he's also shedding pretty slowly but not sure if that matters

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Looks like the tail maybe going into shed-- I don't see any injuries/ nips/ that is what can cause tail rot- lethargic behavior has many causes- one being improper uvb NO COILS -- and basking temps- what are they and how are you taking them NO Stickons

flights

Original Poster
KarrieRee":xujvckro said:
Looks like the tail maybe going into shed-- I don't see any injuries/ nips/ that is what can cause tail rot- lethargic behavior has many causes- one being improper uvb NO COILS -- and basking temps- what are they and how are you taking them NO Stickons
as you can see in the background of the 2nd of i have digital one just sitting there and i also have a temp gun but the thing is his tail just shedded and now it looks like that

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It not uncommon for them to go into shed again-- you still need a digital probe thermometer- you want actual basking temps of where he's sitting the one you have is giving ambient temps- I misread and thought you said he was lethargic-- you still do not want a coil UVB

flights

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ld6y58ao said:
It not uncommon for them to go into shed again-- you still need a digital probe thermometer- you want actual basking temps of where he's sitting the one you have is giving ambient temps- I misread and thought you said he was lethargic-- you still do not want a coil UVB
i have a 12' strip uvb light bulb i already know not to have uvb coil lights and i think my father recently purchased a digital probe thermometer for a tortoise we got so I think I could use that to check

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please tell me the fixture your using and the bulb brand of bulb please --- or post a pic of the UVB your using

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that is good what size is the tank ? --- you have a T 8 bulb it needs to be placed in the tank directly above the basking decor piece 6-8 inches -- that bulb needs to be changed out every 6 months I recommend 5 -- I would look at upgrading your UVB to the same brand but w/ a 24" fixture --- if at some point you want to upgrade to a larger tank for your dragon like a 75 or 120 gallon that 24" fixture will go right into it -- if you need help w/ hanging it inside let me know I will post some things for you to use

flights

Original Poster
so basically i just recently got a 40 gallon so im planning on purchasing a 24' and the basking decor is fine with its temp when he becomes full grown ill most likely upgraded to around like 100 gal and custom build an enclosure

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so get the 14" in the tank and have the basking decor directly underneath 6-8 inches and make sure there is NO clear plastic cover over the bulb ---- the T 8 needs to UNOBSTRUCTED ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom