Brumation behavior in June?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Now, I'll just start off by saying her lighting and temps are fine. Every time I post a question here I'm asked about her lights and every time I list what I got I'm met with approval, so HER LIGHTS ARE FINE.

About 2-3 weeks ago, my 2 year old girl's appetite vastly decreased. She has eaten maybe 3 times in the past couple weeks, even though I offer her food every day.
This past week, she had started sleeping on the cool side of her tank, even inside her hide one day.
I know it's winter in Australia, where bearded dragons are native. But it's 93°+ every day where I live lately, and she's a captive-bred Beardie. I've heard it's possible for them to be so in-tune with their natural instincts that they can brumate during Australian winters/ North American summer. Anyone think this is what's going on? I want to take her into the vet soon anyways, just for a general checkup to make sure she's healthy, but I'm in the middle of moving so that wont be happening for at least another couple weeks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its possible she has parasites/ worms-- take a fecal in to rule that out first ---- too many will cause brumation behavior -- what your describing sounds like parasites -- DO NOT have them do enema - they often end up in disaster

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":16gjwyav said:
Its possible she has parasites/ worms-- take a fecal in to rule that out first ---- too many will cause brumation behavior -- what your describing sounds like parasites -- DO NOT have them do enema - they often end up in disaster
Yeah, as I mentioned I plan on taking her to the vet soon. They're closed today so I cant call to make an appointment but I'll do so tomorrow. Probably cant get her in till next Tuesday at the earliest because of work and I'm moving. I'm concerned about getting a fecal sample though since, as I mentioned, shes not eating much. So... that may be difficult.

In the mean time, any other opinions on this matter?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Feed her some canned pumpkin w/ no spices- that will make her poop but don't do it till like a day or two before so you have fresh poop--

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
On the plus side, she was up and alert this morning when I woke up. I've got her out of her tank now and, it took her a bit to get going but now she's running around the apartment.
I'll try the pumpkin. She seems to eat small treats when I offer it to her by hand, like a dried cricket or a small piece of butternut squash... I gave her a dropper of water and she went at it like it was a worm, so she must have at least a bit of an appetite.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got her to eat today!
Specifically, she had a strawberry, a piece of green bell pepper, and some repashy Beardie buffet. It was her first time eating the repashy and I think she actually really liked it. It's got good protein and calcium content so I feel good about that.

Anyways, I'm still taking her into the vet next tuesday but hopefully this is just a case of her being a really picky eater and me being a hyper-worried dragon mom.

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Now, I'll just start off by saying her lighting and temps are fine. Every time I post a question here I'm asked about her lights and every time I list what I got I'm met with approval, so HER LIGHTS ARE FINE.

About 2-3 weeks ago, my 2 year old girl's appetite vastly decreased. She has eaten maybe 3 times in the past couple weeks, even though I offer her food every day.
This past week, she had started sleeping on the cool side of her tank, even inside her hide one day.
I know it's winter in Australia, where bearded dragons are native. But it's 93°+ every day where I live lately, and she's a captive-bred Beardie. I've heard it's possible for them to be so in-tune with their natural instincts that they can brumate during Australian winters/ North American summer. Anyone think this is what's going on? I want to take her into the vet soon anyways, just for a general checkup to make sure she's healthy, but I'm in the middle of moving so that wont be happening for at least another couple weeks.
ok so i have to semi answers for you it could be A: shes sick B: she could be one of those beardies who brumate in the summer depending on where you live do you live in a tropical place if so thats probably why shes acting like that bc in the dessert they brumate whenever it gets cold and in june ish time that when they brumate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom