Tailless dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
As some of you know, I have a habit of taking in special needs dragons over the years. Working with an exotic vet has allowed me to be able to provide the care these guys have needed over the years with out breaking the bank.

Yesterday, I got wind of a local shop that will not be named having a tailless baby up for adoption.

His clutch mate nipped his tail and it turned into tail rot. He was taken to a different vet and given a clean bill of Heath after his infection was cleared and tail healed up.

Now, the shops had him for 6months, putting him 6-8 months of age. He got correct lighting, diet, care etc.

Neither the shop nor the vet know why he’s so small still, and you know I’ll be taking him into work to my exotic vet to have an exam, and I’ve already emailed Tracie asking to order another Adeno test.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with a mostly tailless baby? Seems to be acting like any other baby so far. Settling in well.

I’ve done missing limbs before, and tail nips, but never tailless.

Anyways here’s Shoto! He’s a whole 11grams on the dot

44170-527403374.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Poor baby! I cant answer your question but maybe Tracie or AHBD can help

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I’m sorry but who allowed him to be this cute.

44170-7252270728.jpg

I’m thinking he may have some spinal issues down the line, but nothing I can’t deal with

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, what a cute little chubba ! Shoto should do just fine as long as there's no infection left. He may not have quite as good balance but will be able to climb + run like other beardies.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":3egmgea4 said:
Aw, what a cute little chubba ! Shoto should do just fine as long as there's no infection left. He may not have quite as good balance but will be able to climb + run like other beardies.

Hi AHBD glad to hear there shouldn’t be much issue.
He’s still settling in as it’s only day two with me.

He’s currently eyeing some black soldier fly grub I offered him.

I’m wondering if he’ll be able to grow to a normal size or not. He’s so tinny for being 6-7 months

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a tiny one but hopefully he will grow & mature for you! That is too bad he lost most of
his tail though but, he will be just fine.
I am sure he will settle in nicely.
I sent you an email also!

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Very wide range of growth rates in beardie hatchlings and juveniles.

He's obviously been the runt and not been able to get his fair share of food , access to the prime basking basking spot and prime sleeping spot while being held with other hatchlings and siblings due to dominance issues..

I have a pair of 2yr olds who I separated early and yet the female grew much slower than my male ( the "brother") , I know she got the food she needed and the heat and UV she needed .
She was bought ( same age as him ) a bit smaller and remained smaller .

So I'm putting it down to either
a) genetics ( different father or mother to him )
b) perhaps hatched prematurely
c) breeder was mistaken about age ?

Now he's in your hands and no longer being "picked on" , he might once he settles in to his new digs and gets used to his new pet human slave , have a really good growth spirt.

IMO - size is less important than the dragon being happy, well cared for, and healthy.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He'll almost certainly end up quite small , it may partly be genetics but he also went through trauma as a baby when he had tail rot. But he looks good and can still live a decent lifespan. He is a tough cookie ! :)

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He started eating me out of house and home so I took him into day for his X-rays.

Poor baby is so small we had to use our dental X-ray machine Poor thing, just like spitfire weirdly enough, has MBD, a vitamin a deficiency, and a calcium deficiency obviously.

He got the worlds smallest multi vitamin injection today and I took home some liquid calcium.

My manger spent most of the day cuddling with him because he’s to cute. She kept worrying it wasn’t okay to cuddle him and I’m like please do, I don’t want him to end up grumpy like spitfire ?

Here’s his X-rays we had to use the tape method to get him to stay on the dental X-ray pads. He was less than thrilled with us.

44170-4778408026.jpg
44170-7761862213.jpg
44170-693040481.jpg
44170-7706327396.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
:lol: He is adorable ---- Tracie is going to haft to look at these X rays but I can see curvature of the spine ---- w/ some good calcium I would think that would straighten out but I am no expert --

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1u7k0fyk said:
:lol: He is adorable ---- Tracie is going to haft to look at these X rays but I can see curvature of the spine ---- w/ some good calcium I would think that would straighten out but I am no expert --

Doc thinks it’s because he was a wriggly little **** and wouldn’t hold totally still or straight, but we are not totally convinced it’s not a curve of the spine. We are both concerned about how light his bones are.

I plan on having them rechecked once he’s big enough for our normal machine. To check the curve and to double check how his bones look.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I’ve noticed something strange over the last few days that’s a little concerning, I’ll ask his vet if we get a moment to chat today, never know how busy works going to be. Anyways his nub seems to be starting to point upwards. It doesn’t seem to cause him any issue, but I am worried. Even if he sits normally and not in his basking position it’s still up like this.

He’s also entered his first shed with me so I’m glad to see signs he’s growing

44170-8168163760.jpg
44170-3510943246.jpg
44170-1424646555.jpg

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
44170-6555075617.jpg

Shoto is slowly gaining weight. Not as fast as I thought he would be considering how much he eats. His tails still doing the weird thing. The nubs always up.

He moved into his adult cage today even if he’s still small. I’m so over the top opening cages, it’s uh, Zivas old cage. It’s been 9 months since I said good by to her, and it’s been disinfected with steam, heat, time and F10. It feels good to have a dragon in that cage again. It was designed with her and her size in mind, so it’s going to be a perfect fit size wise for Shoto. I always assumed I’d end up with a lawsons/rakins dragon in it since it’s not quite the right size for your average adult dragon. No way would spitfire be happy in it. Large lady.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A curled up tail shows alertness so hopefully that's all it is. :) Keep an eye on it of course . Shoto is always going to be small but he can still live a reasonably healthy life. Do you have pics of the new tank ?

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":pb48tapn said:
A curled up tail shows alertness so hopefully that's all it is. :) Keep an eye on it of course . Shoto is always going to be small but he can still live a reasonably healthy life. Do you have pics of the new tank ?

Hopefully. He’s doing well. He’s already proven he can get anywhere in the cage he wants to be. It’s not as nice looking as when Ziva called it her own, but it works for him, and if he grows more than what I’m expecting I think I’ll make him Bioacitve like I have with Spitfire. She’s so much happier that way.

44170-6608884116.jpg
44170-7401220849.jpg
44170-3176015672.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom