Can I use branches from my backyard for reptile tanks?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Can I use branches from my backyard for reptile tanks?

Postby FlapJack16 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:42 pm

I wanted to put some climbing/"enrichment" branches in both my bearded dragon and snake tank. I know that people can collect and disinfect branches to do just that, but I wanted to know your thoughts on it.

You can also get grapevines- I totally get that- but they are very pricy to get several larger ones, especially if I can go pick out my own from alllll of the trees in my backyard.

I assume you would have to sand down anything too sharp, take any bark off, and disinfect it like I mentioned.

What else would I need to do?
FlapJack16
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Can I use branches from my backyard for reptile tanks?

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:26 pm

I use pieces of driftwood. You can use branches too if they're the right size/shape. I like finding things that are relatively flat and wide to provide a good basking surface, but that really depends on how you're setting things up. I just rinse them off well and scrub any dirt off then bake them in the oven on low (about 200-250) for 30-45 min or so to disinfect. You can use rocks you find too, but don't bake them (explosion/cracking risk if they have moisture inside). Just rinse them off well and they should be OK.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures