Possible Heart Disease + yellow fungus + pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please let us know what the vet says at her check up today.
Keeping the temperatures moderate but not too hot is the best, in case she was getting
too hot. That humidity level is fine. I hope her skin is starting to heal up, it does take a
long time for them to heal though!
Is she eating anything right now? As far as a probiotic, they are very helpful in restoring
the gut flora after they have been on medications. You can get some non dairy acidophilus
or non dairy organic soy yogurt either one to help her tummy out.

Tracie

Emilio

Original Poster
Drache613":1io4ce4a said:
Hello,

Please let us know what the vet says at her check up today.
Keeping the temperatures moderate but not too hot is the best, in case she was getting
too hot. That humidity level is fine. I hope her skin is starting to heal up, it does take a
long time for them to heal though!
Is she eating anything right now? As far as a probiotic, they are very helpful in restoring
the gut flora after they have been on medications. You can get some non dairy acidophilus
or non dairy organic soy yogurt either one to help her tummy out.

Tracie

Will do. I think the fact they take so long to heal is also a factor. We have lots of patience but not when she is hurting.
The gut flora 100% makes sense. I will be mentioning that to the vet today. I think she will have to stay on meds because her gurgling seems to be back to the way it was so we have to clear that up. But to have a vitamin or something to help her gut heal is important. Have you heard of b12 shots for beardies? Thank you for your concern and support. Anytime we run into issues with these guys it’s so helpful to have a place to get feedback and help especially when most vets do not handle reptiles esp in emergency situations. We have had to go it in our own and pray she makes it to the next morning quite a few times.

Emilio

Original Poster
And no she’s not eating. I got her to take a few dried crickets that were soaked in water but it’s not easy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello

How did the vet visit go today?
I hope you are going to get her started on a probiotic too maybe that will help her out
That's too bad she really isn't eating it does make it harder to keep them healthy & it
is stressful trying to get food into her.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Emilio

Original Poster
Hi! Sorry, we got back late then crashed from being exhausted! So her pneumonia and heart are healing well which the vet was super happy to see. Even though she is phlegmy again he said it would be due to the meds thickening that up a bit so now we’re doing the shot for her heart every other day and nebulizing her with saline on the opposite days.

Her eye and face is now the concern so he is sending a culture off to get checked but he thinks it’s a bacterial infection so while he’s heard of the Mannuka honey until he knows what it is he wants her in the eye drops and a little bit of aloe Vera on her sores. She is also in baytril for that infection now.

She’s also in meloxicam for pain because she is in pain.
He said just keep trying to get her food in her, healthy veggies and crickets, I asked him about the probiotic and he’s kinda like it can’t hurt but he was more into her eating again for her nutrients. I have been trying to hand feed her dandelion greens and crickets. I usually can get her to do a few but that is it. We really have to get her face healed. She scratched it again last night so it was a little red this morning. How do you tell a lizard not to scratch, they don’t make ecollars for lizards so it’s been a battle.

She’s not out of the woods but she’s on the mend which I was so happy to hear esp regarding her lungs and heart. We were bracing for bad news. Thank you for being a lending war and for the information we certainly take it into account and brought it up to the vet. I am still going to buy the Mannuka honey to have on hand and get her on a probiotic.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a good update, better than expected!
It sounds like she is slowly improving right now, so keep her temperatures boosted for her
basking & a little warmer overnight too.
When do you expect the skin culture to come back, a couple of weeks? It definitely could
be a bacterial infection, maybe a staff, just not sure.
Have you been able to get any food into her?
I am glad that she is doing a bit better now. Keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie

Emilio

Original Poster
Yes, the way she sounds and looks doesn’t match her report from the vet but I think a lot is what’s going on with her face she’s in pain.

I got her to eat some crickets yesterday and a couple of small pieces of dandelion greens but it’s so minimal especially for her she’s a great eater loves her greens!

The skin cultures reports should be be back by early next week he is hoping sooner. For now he said just keep doing what we’re doing. We get to get all her meds out of the way in the morning so she can just relax the rest of the day. Then we give her a soak at lunch time, bring her out for some UVs and try to get her to eat something. By end of day we lightly dab her booboos with a cool paper towel and then reapply the aloe hoping it eases the pain so she can sleep.
She has been sleeping better at least for the few hours we’re still up.

Thank you for your continued concern. ❤️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is too bad she is in pain, that you can tell. How long does the vet want to keep her on
the metacam? Have you tried Serrapeptase for pain relief? It is silkworm enzyme & is very
helpful for pain, swelling & inflammation. I sell that on my online store, if you wanted to try it.
Great, please let us know how the test results turn out. I hope she is able to sleep well right
now. Keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie

Emilio

Original Poster
You guys are awesome for checking in. Thank you.
I was in tears this morning because her face looks aweful and painful. The vet doesn’t want us to do much until we get the cultures back so we know what we’re dealing with.
The pain meds are for obvious reasons but originally because of the pneumonia because her throat was so enflamed and irritated.

So we’re trying to keep her comfortable probably until Monday or Tuesday when we here back from the vet. I have been lightly dabbing it with filtered cold water to clean it and then putting some 100% aloe as instructed on her sores.

She hangs out in her tank in her hot spot most of the day and yesterday afternoon I brought her up to my office where I have a window and the afternoon sun comes in and set her up there and she seemed to enjoy it plus I can keep a better eye on her. It’s like she was so focused on looking out the window that she forgot she was in pain.

Once we know what this culture comes back with hopefully we get more options for her. Including healing her gut from all these meds. ❤️

FYI- if anyone is looking for reptile insurance Nationwide has been AMAZING! They pretty much are the only reptile insurance but they really have helped us in trying to get this little girl better. Thousands of dollars in vet bills and I’m not even exaggerating, they have covered a large portion.
We pay like $8 a month because we have multi pet but even without I think it’s maybe $14-$15.

Emilio

Original Poster
86552-1506571491.jpg

Ugh getting so worried her face has ballooned up her lip is swollen even more and her eye is almost completely closed. I reached out to the vet but our vet is not in until Monday now. This poor girl. What the heck could it be what’s going on. The other side of her face is ok but I’m seeing a bit of rawness starting there too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did you put any honey on the face as recommended? I would stop w/ the aloe as that is not doing any good --- and it looks like it could be making it worse --- please try the honey it is known to be good

Emilio

Original Poster
We were instructed to not do the honey until we know what it is from the culture. But that is a thought to stop the Aloe for now though. I have a call into the vet as emergency. So hopefully we here something back. Is it weird I feel like the heat is causing it to swell. When I take her out to chill with me for a bit she seems much more at ease.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am starting to think this is fungal. It does not look like a burn really. When is the culture
result going to be in?
I agree, for now, I would stop with the aloe because it seems to be making it worse. Try to
keep it clean & dry to see how that goes until you get the results back. We can help determine
the correct route.
Poor girl, please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Emilio

Original Poster
Update on sweet Ori.
So after a full day at the Vet yesterday and $$$$$ later he cleaned up her face, so her lip and eye look somewhat normal. It’s so nice to see her face clearing up. She still in pain though.

So now we are testing for yellow fungus because it’s not a bacteria. He 98% thinks that is what it is so we started treatment but he still is sending a culture into get tested.

So she is now only on anti-fungal meds every other day, Meloxicam for pain daily, lamisil and an anti-fungal mouse we put on her body daily, clean off and then reapply, Nebulizer with saline ever other day and then a strong focus on getting her to eat, to the point of blending her food and making a smoothie type of food for her.

All her vitals/organs look good otherwise we would not have been able to start the Antifungal meds as they are pretty harsh. I’m hoping we see an improvement soon so we can get her off of them asap.

❤️?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear her outlook is looking a bit better. I am sure that she is in pain, poor
girl. I am pretty sure as well that it is yellow fungus, it looks exactly like it. I am not sure how
on earth she would have developed it.
It is a good idea to get her started on the oral anti-fungal medication. As you already mentioned,
it is very harsh on the system so definitely keep her well hydrated & on some type of probiotic
during her medication round.
The food slurry/smoothie is perfectly fine for her, to get nutrition into her. Is she taking it well?
Did he give an estimated date or time frame of when the culture would be back with the results?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom