Sick Beardie with eyes closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travisc410

Original Poster
No other dragons and there is a dog but she’s usually always and the dog is not in that room. My daughter keeps the door closed. She will walk over and eat out of my hand but that’s about all she’s ok with for now.

Travisc410

Original Poster
110828-9865328376.jpg
110828-2590020290.jpg
110828-3095504991.jpg
Just another update on our dragon. She is mean as hell still! She wants no parts of a human. She will hiss at you when you walk by the cage at times. If you try to pick her up from any direction she immediately goes defensive, will, hiss, bite you and flip/flop in any direction to get away. If you do pick her up, all she wants to do is bite at you and get away. No point in trying to hand feed her either. She will bite at anything you put in the cage. I’m not sure what the point of having her is anymore if that’s all she is going to do....

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is she now? All the lighting and the temps you got are now correct ? I re read all the post from when you first posted and now we are dealing w / the mean part--- its going to take some time but eventually she will come around --- if shes sitting on a piece of decor in the tank will she let you pet her ? Keep holding her w/ the glove on --- she needs to learn to trust --- some where along the line she was traumatized I am thinking -- she really has some trust issues going on --- it looks like her eye has cleared up as well --- are you using a bright white bulb now for basking or the Power Sun still ?

Travisc410

Original Poster
She is almost a year old now. For the temps and lighting, they are all right now. Left side is 105-110 depending on room temperature. Right side is 85 generally. Nothing below 75 at night. Lights are automatic for 12 hours a day. We have the UV light and PowerSun bulb that run. Ceramic bulb is off because it gets too hot. As far as touching her - that’s a big no. All she wants to do is run and climb the sides or bite you once you’re within 10” of her. Her eyes clears up completely and she eats, poops and pees fine. She’s just got out mean and never use to be before she got sick.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you put a T 5 or a T8 in your tank ? I would lower your basking side to 95-100 she is too old for that hot of a temp now and the older they get they do not like real hot temps-- did you correct the distance for the Power Sun--- and is it on the screen or above w/ NO screen -- wattage again please?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is too bad! Is there ample activity for her, with her being in your daughter's bedroom?
If you have enough nerve, I would go ahead & pick her up anyway, but carefully enough not
to be bitten. If you have to wear gloves, then definitely try that.
Does she act ill or is she eating on her own?

Tracie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Travisc410":3p6g79bd said:
Things are certainly starting to look up! We have what appears to be a healthy dragon! She is growing a lot, her eyes are open and is moving around everywhere. So all of that seems great. However, I did have another question. She has gotten mean! Before we could take her out, she would sit on your shirt, you could hold her and stuff like that. Now, she is just flat out mean. She does not want you to touch her and if you go to touch her, she will spin around, open her mouth and basically hissing at you. I went to go touch earlier earlier today and she bit my finger and drew blood. Is this normal? I know a lot of people have these that are almost like dogs and you can walk them and stuff. But now we are just mean and want to bite everything. Is this normal? Can it be changed?

My cockatiel is mean, she recently had hypocalcemia and I had to increase her calcium intake (birds need reptile calcium too, they are reptiles!) and while she was sick she let me pet her and I knew something was wrong because Kiwi is normally aggressive. I knew she was getting better again because she started to bite me and scream at me again ?. Don’t let a mean animal take charge, I let Kiwi dominate me and she injured my finger the other day because she thought she had authority over me. Get her used to you now before she develops an even bigger mouth to bite you with. (Mari my beardie has bitten me on accident before, it hurts so much and her teeth are like little knives. It’s crazy how sharp their little teeth are!)

Also try not to yell when she bites, she is likely biting out of fear and loud noises might make her more upset. It’s easier said than done though as I’ve screamed when my bird bit my thumbnail the other day. She bit through the nail! Also make sure if she does bite you that you clean the wound as good as possible because animal bites are disgusting and you definitely don’t want their mouth bacteria in your body.

Travisc410

Original Poster
I am not sure what you mean by is there ample opportunity for her in the bedroom? We don’t usually take her out because she is so mean. I pick her up with a glove home because she will bite you. And once she is picked up she flips and flops everywhere. As for the lighting, I have the 10.0 UV bulb that was recommended as well as the power sun bulb. I am getting a 100 W bulb this weekend because the 160 W power sun bulb that is in there is too hot. The light is above the tank and there is no screen.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If the bulb is too hot this would cause aggression - that means temps in the tank are too hot

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us on your little dragon?
Keep trying to bond with her, maybe with finding a treat that she likes, etc. I think that most
people here on the forum have had challenges such as this & most of the time you can win
them over in time.

Tracie

Travisc410

Original Poster
The update is she is still mean as hell. Lol. The new bulb has the cage at 95 +/- a couple degrees at times. But she would rather just attack anyone or anything in the cage. Attack as in biting multiple times. Dame thing if I pick her up with a glove. There is no feeding her by hand or treats. She will hiss at you or bite you. She may need those skills soon if she keeps on and I let her go in the back yard and start over with a new one. Everything else is fine, she’s eating, peeing, pooping and all of that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very frustrating I'm sure The 95F is the basking spot temperature or the temperature
for the entire tank?
Just be sure there is ample temperature variances in the tank so she doesn't get too hot.
Regardless of her behavior don't give up just yet, I am hopeful she will turn a corner soon.

Tracie

Travisc410

Original Poster
Specifically the basking spot temperature. She lays at various different places at different times. And then she has the cool side of the tank but she doesn’t usually go over there too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom