I THINK MY BABY IS HAVING SEIZURES AND IM STUCK AT HOME

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie just had about 5 seizures and im stuck at home. I have calcium powder but im out of crickets. I have mealworms but i heard they block there system. Please help im scared and hes my best friend. Hes just a baby only about three months old. :( :help: :dontknow:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry that your dragon is having some trouble.
Can you review your UVB lighting for us, along with the temperatures too?
Did you possibly feed too large of a prey item to him/her?
If possible, please post some pictures of your dragon, along with your tank setup so we
can take a look to be sure everything is correct.
Can he/she move at all?

Tracie

Catherine1823

Original Poster
My parents wont let me change or pick any of his bulbs or set up so he currently has sand substrate e cant move anymore they got me ZooMed 60w combo pack daylight blue reptile bulb and nightlight red reptile bulb. I cant post picturess right now because of my parents but I will as soo as i get home but i dont think he'll live till then im so scaredhe has a warm side at about 95degrees and cool at about 80 my step mom is a self proclaimed expert so I honestly thought I had it right until I looked this stuff up. I just cleaned his sand and replaced it.

Catherine1823

Original Poster
I have to go to school now so I can continue to respond but there isnt much I can do until I get home im going to change him to papertowels then

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon is not going to survive w/ out correct lighting -- if hes having seizures now I dont know if he will make it -- you either need to get him to where he can get the properly lighting place him in a plastic tote NO GLASS set him in direct sunlight for as long as you can but the temps must be 65 or above --- watch him do not leave him ---- or to a vet -- the colored bulbs are a BIG NO NO--- he needs a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons -- https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202-- 22' bulb -- ASAP--
Your dragon has not been able to absorb / synthesize any calcium this is why hes having seizures -- he is really sick now --- you need to do this immediately - I cannot stress this enough -- take the dragon outside every day till you get that UVB but you must get the basking light and UVB NOW --- GET RID of the colored bulbs they are doing NO GOOD!! the UVB needs to go inside the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor little dragon, and I know this is very stressful for you . :( It may be that the proper light or direct sun can help but it might also be Adenovirus so right now it's not certain what is causing this. Put the baby out in the sun like Karrrie mentioned but just set him inn the grass or use a clear plastic tote but be sure it's not TOO hot out , otherwise he can overhheat on the plastic.

Catherine1823

Original Poster
My baby passed before I could even get home... I loved him so much I cant believe hes gone I should've done better for him. I'm going to clean the tank out and bury him. My dad already mentioned getting another one but i'm definitely not ready im still too upset and I don't know enough. I now from this experience learned a lot more I hope this never happens to another person or dragon its terrifying. Never use colored bulbs, Kale blocks calcium intake, more mustard greens and variety, NO SAND, warm soaks every once in a while. In the future i will definitely use the links that you guys have shared thank you so much. I'm still so glad I found this forum. If you have anything else you think I should know please tell me. Once im ready and educated along with my parents we will probably find another little beardie but not yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am sorry about your baby-- it is hard to lose them--- when your ready again and have questions please ask-- make sure you tell your parents that it will take some money to keep them fed well and properly - you need a feeder insect / along w/ fresh salads everyday-- if you need to pass info on I can explain to you on the diet and what is required for a healthy dragon-----

Clean the tank w/ a disinfectant - rescue or Zoo Meds Wipeout-- the two most important things in the tank is the UVB and basking temps -- you now know NO sand NO colored BULBS NO heat mats or rocks --- a digital probe thermometer is a MUST !!!! and NO coil UVB's!!! We can help you get your tank set up correctly but your lighting is crucial!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your little one, that is a very traumatic experience. :cry:
Reptiles do have very specific needs to maintain health & unfortunately there is a lot of wrong
information out there which does make it challenging to siphon through it all.
We will all be happy to help out with your setup should you get another dragon in the future.

My condolences.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom