Bearded Dragon Only 14" at 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff0410

Hey everyone, I'm concerned about the size of my bearded dragon, hes 12 months old and only 14". Anyone else have this problem?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The lighting in the tank plays a huge roll in growing and diet -- please go over the UVB and basking temps how are you taking them -- dragons will grow at different rates but the lighting and diet are main reasons

Geoff0410

Original Poster
I have a 160 watt basking bulb for him on the right side of the 40 gallon tank hes housed in. The bulb is UVB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the 160 watt is a MVB? what brand please and where do you have it? top of screen or hanging above on a stand ? Distance of the MVB?

Geoff0410

Original Poster
Its hanging no more than a half inch above the screen. The bulb is exo terra. Its the 160 watt with uvb built into it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is this a Solar Glo bulb? What are the basking temps w / it that close? For a 160 watt distance should be 14"-16" through a screen -how old is the bulb? I am gonna say he /she is not getting enough UVB - most dont w/ them -- especially thru a screen -- I would look at getting another UVB - a long tube fixture ---- how big is the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so its a 50 gallon tank ----------I am gonna say the temp is too warm most older dragons like temps 95-100-- does she bask at the hottest point or do you have a gradient heat going for him /her? Do you plan to upgrade to a larger tank ? Like a 75-120 gallon? If so I would invest in a 24" fixture w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- if not you can go w/ a 18" or 20" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 -- either way I would add another UVB -- I am thinking she is not getting enough UVB -- the screen is going to block alot of those rays approx 30% --

Geoff0410

Original Poster
I have a good temperature gradient its usually roughly 75-80 in the cool spot he also enjoys hid hide in the hot spot. Ive been planning on getting a larger hide which would work as well for basking, cause the tank is a little cluttered.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I mean for basking temp gradient the 110 is too hot especially if he's hiding-- I would get your temps fixed and another uvb-- you can adjust the heat by raising the mvb but your going to sacrifice the UVB- this is why another uvb is recommended- she / he will lose more uvb rays-- which is not good-- I would ditch the mvb and get a regular bright white basking bulb and get the T 5 bulb I posted- your going to be better off-- or the dragon will be you will have better control over the heat and UVB

Geoff0410

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice. Im going to upgrade his lighting. Is there still a chance to avoid stunted growth at this age?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Once you get the lighting fixed she/ should take off-- dragons do grow at different rates- but good basking temps and good UVB will do wonders along w/ diet-- what are you feeding-- ? I don't think she's stunted but just a little slower

Geoff0410

Original Poster
I am feeding him superworms for protein and his mixture of greens. Which is Collard with a few strawberries on occasion, especially on days he doesnt want his salad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get a staple feeder -- crickets dubia silk or BSFL- super worms are for treats like horn butter or meal worms- I recommend dubias- they are a healthy feeder - I would switch up or add another green like turnip kale or mustard add some squash like yellow or zucchini green beans- I will post some websites for insects/ worms along w/ a nutrition website tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom