Does anyone know how long Adenovirus survives with no host?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelson321

We had to euthanize our bearded dragon due to our veterinarian suspected adenovirus. We tried to help him all we could but he wasn't getting any better ?. We loved him so much.
My first question/concern is, how long will adenovirus last with no host? We eventually want to get another beardie and I have bleached our dragons old materials (basking spot, hideaway, bowls) as well as ran them in our dishwasher AND let them dry under the sun. I am still paranoid of the virus lurking in the house since our dragon was allowed to freeroam some. I can't find any information on how long this virus lasts without a host. Can anyone tell me? Some more cleaning tips would be helpful as well.

Second, (I know this wasn't included in this post's topic) any tips on picking out a dragon that is healthy? I don't want to go through that heartbreak with another beardie again. I know there is always a risk, but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance ☺

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure about the host thing but you can PM Tracie our vet tech mod and ask her she is doing research on the virus itself --- her username is Drache613- ask her about the disinfecting thing -- I know F 10 will kill it for sure and I think a disinfectant called Rescue as well -- where did you get the last dragon from? F 10 is really hard to find now -- try Ebay or Amazon --

Nelson321

Original Poster
KarrieRee":kvrfuok4 said:
I am not sure about the host thing but you can PM Tracie our vet tech mod and ask her she is doing research on the virus itself --- her username is Drache613- ask her about the disinfecting thing -- I know F 10 will kill it for sure and I think a disinfectant called Rescue as well -- where did you get the last dragon from? F 10 is really hard to find now -- try Ebay or Amazon --

Thank you. Ill will have a look!
We got him from a store called Pet Supermarket. I believe they are a growing chain store similar to Petsmart and Petco. We bought our dragon without knowing the dangers of buying pets from stores such as this. We believe he may have been sick when we got him. It didn't show until month 4 or 5 of having him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That sounds about right I am sorry :( -- that whole clutch more than likely had it -- I would let the store know so they have knowledge of it -- How old was the dragon?

Nelson321

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2c7xhcdm said:
That sounds about right I am sorry :( -- that whole clutch more than likely had it -- I would let the store know so they have knowledge of it -- How old was the dragon?

Oh yes I need to contact them. He was roughly 5 and a half to 6 months old. His growth was also stunted. He was a small guy for his age.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So young we have had a few on here that also had dragons w/ adenovirus - I have not seen them on here for awhile so I dont know how those dragons are doing now-- have you PM'd Tracie she is on late at nite

Nelson321

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2zf4fgeb said:
So young we have had a few on here that also had dragons w/ adenovirus - I have not seen them on here for awhile so I dont know how those dragons are doing now-- have you PM'd Tracie she is on late at nite
I just messaged her. Hopefully I hear something soon!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you messaged me, I didn't see if in my inbox!
Are you wanting to get another dragon? The adenovirus cells can survive on surfaces
if left unsanitized, etc, for a couple of months I believe. If you use a diluted bleach solution
on countertops, that easily kills it.
Do you have a steamer to clean tank surfaces?

Tracie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Nelson321":26vhfs03 said:
We had to euthanize our bearded dragon due to our veterinarian suspected adenovirus. We tried to help him all we could but he wasn't getting any better ?. We loved him so much.
My first question/concern is, how long will adenovirus last with no host? We eventually want to get another beardie and I have bleached our dragons old materials (basking spot, hideaway, bowls) as well as ran them in our dishwasher AND let them dry under the sun. I am still paranoid of the virus lurking in the house since our dragon was allowed to freeroam some. I can't find any information on how long this virus lasts without a host. Can anyone tell me? Some more cleaning tips would be helpful as well.

Second, (I know this wasn't included in this post's topic) any tips on picking out a dragon that is healthy? I don't want to go through that heartbreak with another beardie again. I know there is always a risk, but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance ☺

I think you killed the virus. Source: Am an up and becoming genetic researcher in university, 10% bleach spray is literally all you’d ever need to kill an adenovirus on any surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom