what’s in her belly? *post surgery*

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

what’s in her belly? *post surgery*

Postby MyBabyFaith » Fri May 07, 2021 4:13 pm

Hello everyone!!

I had a post a few weeks back “What’s in her belly?” With an X-ray of my girls belly. At the time we were told she was likely eggbound. Well her surgery was today it went really well considering doc was in there almost 2.5 hours. He removed a large mass in addition to a floating mass (likely a calcified egg) and removed her lady parts. She seems okay for now just really sleepy and lethargic but she’s on an antibiotic and Tramadol for pain. Doc said she should get better with each passing day.

Now for why I’m still so concerned. That large mass. (I’m attaching a pic here hope that’s okay.) Doc had/has no idea what this is, it is the one all the way on the right on the pic. He said it could be cancerous or possibly eggs that became bound together over time. He suggested sending it out for testing (which I did for $170) but he said it was really tangled in her. He had to trim around her fat pads and her gi track to dislodge it. He said that she did have some follicles (I think) burst while he was working on her but he said he cleaned everything very well and has her on the antibiotic for the next 2 weeks.

I really just wanted to update everyone and get your take on the pics and and suggestions on care for her in the coming days or what I should expect. The vet went over everything but personal experiences can differ, so I thought I’d ask.

Thanks for all your help and concern through all of this!

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
MyBabyFaith
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: what’s in her belly? *post surgery*

Postby Drache613 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 pm

Hello,

When will you get the results back from the lab regarding that tissue sample?
Hopefully it isn't cancerous & just a benign mass. It is possible that an egg burst & caused
some trouble, that is relatively common.
So they did go ahead & spay her then, poor girl! She probably feels better though. The
antibiotic should help out with any type of infection that could be brewing from the internal
issues.
She looks good in the picture, no black beard there.
I hope she is on the mend. For now, try to keep her a little warmer overnight to help with her
immune system right now. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby MyBabyFaith » Sun May 09, 2021 11:46 am

Hello,

When will you get the results back from the lab regarding that tissue sample?
Hopefully it isn't cancerous & just a benign mass. It is possible that an egg burst & caused
some trouble, that is relatively common.
So they did go ahead & spay her then, poor girl! She probably feels better though. The
antibiotic should help out with any type of infection that could be brewing from the internal
issues.
She looks good in the picture, no black beard there.
I hope she is on the mend. For now, try to keep her a little warmer overnight to help with her
immune system right now. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie[/quote]

[Click image to enlarge]

That pic was actually pre-surgery. This one is more recent, from today. She seems to be doing okay. I can’t get her to eat though I haven’t tried supers yet. She still won’t eat salad though. However, I have been giving her green critical care at lease once a day and she seems to take it okay. I’m praying it’s not cancer but I’m not entirely sure what it’ll be back I didn’t think to ask.
MyBabyFaith
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 am

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. Sounds like it was done just in time and by a vet who knows their stuff. She looks good in the latest photo. Nice and alert looking. Hopefully she will heal quickly and not have any further issues.
CooperDragon

Postby MyBabyFaith » Tue May 11, 2021 6:23 pm

I’m hoping she will. I’m just struggling to get her to eat. We have tried discoids, bsfl, and even supers (her fave treat) and she will not touch any of it. I’ve still been making her a salad every day but I come home and it’s the same as when I left. My moms been watching her while I work and said she did eat 1 blueberry today. She will lick the critical care here and there but that’s all I can get in her. I’m think about calling the vet tomorrow. She also hasn’t pooped since last Thursday before the surgery.
MyBabyFaith
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Thu May 13, 2021 4:35 am

Eating and digestion may take a bit of time to go back to normal after surgery. I'd stick with soft foods for a while and avoid things like roaches with the tougher shells. Just to make things a bit easier to digest.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER