Restless, digging and breathing heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinS

Hello... New here! This is also out first beardie! We brought home Mr. Miyagi (which the vet thinks may be a Mrs... But isn't sure) September, 2020 from PetCo and was told she was approximately 4 months old (so would be almost a year now).

She is a very chill and relaxed beardie and had never shown signs of stress or any medical issues... Until now. The past 3 days she had become increasingly restless... Going from hammock to hammock, down to the floor, digging and glad surfing like crazy. When she is on the floor of her enclosure she breaths heavier and I'm not sure if this is respiratory distress or just from all her restless activity.

Additionally, her poop has increased in frequency the past 4-5 days. While it is still a musky normal firmness and color, there shears to be more liquid with it.

She has made a mess of her enclosure from the constant digging. I have 2 hammocks, a hideout made of stone, food dish (has a water dish in there but removed it this afternoon because she gets the water EVERYWHERE). I when added a little dig box with soft blanket just in case she's about to have eggs, if she is a she, and if that was an early possibility... She's not interest in it at all.

I have called the vet and she has an appt on Monday (6 days away) which was the soonest they could get us in. She has pepper lighting/heat, eats veggies everyday, has a variety of feeders we rotate through on different days. I give her a syringe or two of water every other day to there days and a bath every two weeks. She has no trouble when shedding (which she completed most recently as about a week ago). The warm side of her enclosure is usually about 98-100 degrees and the cold side about 82-84 with roughly 13% humidity. It is also ventilated properly.

Please help with suggestions... I'm clueless here in what to do for her! She never acts like this at all!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Does her tummy look bloated or larger then normal? Its very possible she has eggs and needs to lay.
Make her a lay box and see if that helps. If you hop on over to the breeding forum, there should be instructions.
I've not done it myself so I'm no help with the details.

RobinS

Original Poster
I did put a box with soft material in it for her... Just in case. However, her belly is not bloated at all and I don't see any indication of eggs on the sides of her belly?

SPandS

Juvie Member
I agree with Gail, everything you've mentioned points to her ready to lay.

She could just be super active trying to find a mate, many call it spring fever. I would still have a lay box ready just in case.

If you can post a pic of her tail raised we could try to tell the gender for you. If it is a male being active like that this time of year is very common. Since you mentioned the digging it make me think female but again a pic will be helpful.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Looks like a male to me actually, if you arch the tail up slightly more it may be easier to see but I can sort of see bulges. If he is a male it sounds like spring fever and he's trying to find a mate. If you're able to and can provide a safe place you can let him out in a room to try to burn off some of his energy but he should eventually calm down.

RobinS

Original Poster
Ok, so this just happened? This is his/her second poo of the day and it's the most liquid ever, and first time morning solid was in it. I'm really concerned now? I'm not sure what to do between now and the Monday appointment!

I've taken her food dish out because she got food all over again and was just about to clean up a little and put more paper towels down when she went poo. Today she ate very little greens, had a large female dubia roach covered in calcium, and 2 small pieces of rapashy grub pie. I have her water via syringe yesterday (2 very tiny syringes) and none today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mNPmDnUmz4NdWfeP6

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, I think it is possible your dragon is a male who is probably going through a surge of
hormones! I am basing this on the picture you had posted of the tail/vent picture.
The males can really get rambunctious this time of year, running around like crazy, destroying
their tanks, etc.
Has he had a black or darker than normal beard?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom