Bearded dragon with upper respiratory infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DracosMama

Original Poster
PLEASE HELP... MY DRAGON HAS BEEN NOT DOING TOO WELL THESE LAST FEW DAYS AS YOU GUYS KNOW, SO I JUST GOT DONE FEEDING HIM ONE AND A HALF MILLILITERS OF CRITICAL CARE, AND SOME DROOL DOWN HIS NECK INTO HIS BELLY SO I FIGURED I'LL GIVE HIM A NICE WARM BATH SINCE HE HAVEN'T HAD ONE IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS, WELL WHILE HE GOT IN HIS BATH HE WAS DRINKING DRINKING DRINKING WATER FROM THE BATH SO I FIGURED HE WAS JUST REALLY DEHYDRATED THEN I NOTICED HIS LITTLE HEAD WOULD FAR ENOUGH UNDER THAT HIS NOSTRILS WERE UNDER AS WELL SO I KIND OF LIFTED HIS HEAD BACK OUT A FEW MOMENTS LATER I NOTICED WHITE STUFF COMING OUT OF HIS MOUTH AND I COULD TELL IT WAS THE CRITICAL CARE THAT HE WAS THROWING IT UP, WELL THEN HE STARTED SPAZZING OUT AS IF HE WAS CHOKING, AND HE'S NOT RESPONSIVE

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon aspirated please hold him at angle so the water can come out of the nostrils and mouth ]
He needs to be kept warm now -- place him in under his basking light at a angle

DracosMama

Original Poster
I put him under the basking light, and I believe most of the fluid came out, but he does not want to stay at an angle.. he wants to be upright

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so try and keep him a little warmer over nite -- do you have a ceramic heat emitter? If so set it up and try and keep the tank around 80 if you can --- or place a heating pad in the tank and set on low place your digital probe on it on top of a towel see what the temp is on it -- place him near it so the heat will emit around him -- he needs to stay hydrated and I would recommend no more baths --- when they start drinking like that they are really dehydrated and you would need to pull him -- start giving water by either a syringe and administer VERY SLOW- let him drink and swallow what you put in -- or drop water on his nose and let him lick -- I flagged your post to Tracie again ---

Aww this little guy is really hanging on! I really hope he pulls through! He's so so cute- I watched the video you posted. When they are little they are just adorable. So sorry yours is having such a hard fight.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, this happens so frequently during a bath. They can get overzealous about drinking
water in their baths, too which causes too much fluid intake all at once.
Once he is asleep, you can "try" to place him at a slight decline angle in the case he still has
some fluids trapped in his lungs. It may take a few days to a week for full recovery.
As suggested, try to keep him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his system & ward off an
infection. Usually 75-80F overnight, is helpful.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

DracosMama

Original Poster
I bought a ceramic heat emitter just for that purpose when he first started getting sick, cuz I remember you telling me to keep him warm at night then as well to help boost his immune system, so I turn it on every night since he hasn't really gotten better.. he seems like he's doing a little better today he was active earlier and then I put some water on his nose and he was thirsty thirsty thirsty wanted to drink it all up so I went very slow as told and kept giving him water.. he stays pretty much under his masking light at all times

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure hes getting his UVB too - are they next to each other so hes getting both?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good --- is Draco showing any signs of neurological issues --- falling over -- hard time walking -- seizure type ? How is he doing over all ?

DracosMama

Original Poster
I don't believe he's showing signs of nuralogical issues, now my doctor thinks that's what it is from the beginning is that he has some neurological problems, I don't believe so I believe he has a respiratory infection I can still hear the clicking when he opens his mouth to gasp I can still see him opening his mouth, and it's almost like he holds a breath in for a long time and then finally when he exhales it, and then it's like he panties for a minute because he statts bugging out jumping around, scratching at the bottom half of Glass on the enclosure..... I fed him a little bit of vital care last night, I just went really really slow and took my time with it

DracosMama

Original Poster
If someone can please flag this for the admin I have a question so after my vet told me that she was done assisting my dragon because she believes it's neurological I asked about Bay trail and she said she didn't want me to waste my money on it but if I want to try it she was willing to prescribe it, so I told her how I had seen things about putting Bay trail in a nebulizer and it helped clearing respiratory infections.. she prescribed me point 01 ml of Bay trail to mix with five ml of saline and put it in the nebulizer, well it literally made about 10 little drop holes and the nebulizer was on for 2 minutes and was done blowing smoke.. am I giving the right amount

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will flag to Tracie she is the vet tech mod or you can PM her find her name on one of the boards her profile will come up find PM its on the left side of the page -- she is on late at nite

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did the vet not feel that he has an infection or a respiratory infection?
What is the strength of the Baytril solution that the vet prescribed to you? If you need
help on nebulization, I can help with that. Let me know the strength of the Baytril & I
can advise on the nebulization. You are using a saline solution with it, correct?

Tracie

DracosMama

Original Poster
No the vet is trying to tell me that since we've already tried a round of a different antibiotic through injection in his arm, we did that for seven doses one dose every 3 days, and he has not got better.. because he has not got better she thinks it's neurological! I'm trying to explain to her that when I first bought him he was not like this, I honestly believe I didn't have his cage on point, until you helped me with getting the lighting inside and the proper UVB bulb as well as the proper light bulb because I had everything that came in the thrive package which you told me thrive is a horrible brand for lighting.. so anyway she sent me information to put him to sleep, she sent me a sheet that explained how much the euthanization was as well as if I wanted to get him cremated.. he's such a little baby I don't want to do that yet because I know he was active he did jump around he used to keep his eyes open and move around through his cage when I first got him he never ate too much only a couple bugs here a couple bugs there but come to find out he had coccidiosis as well, he's already been treated for that but he still has the respiratory infection.. the symptoms he's having is it looks like he's gulping then all the sudden in his mouth will open and I can literally feel like air come out like as if he's gasping, or he'll puff out the bottom of his lip and breathe through the cracks on the sides, he also has a clicking noise every time he opens his mouth to take a breath, his eyes are gunky which she tried telling me was an eye infection he's been on terramycin for the last month and his eyes are still gunky I have to clean them three times a day as well as put ointment on it, so long story short she said she would no longer treat him for the symptoms that he's having, that the only step left is to put them to sleep or love him the way he is until he dies on his own.. well I don't want to just sit here and wait for him to die, so I asked her about Bay trail I told her I had seen a lot of videos as well as read about a bunch of posts about how people use Bay trail and nebulizers and it worked she told me she didn't want me to waste my money on it that she doesn't believe it's going to help but but if I really wanted to try it she would prescribe it she gave me a syringe that's filled with 1.0 of Bay trail and the strength is 2.27% per ml, she also gave me a bottle of sterile saline.. she told me to mix 0.1mL Baytril with 5mL of saline...... But it literally was enough to nebulize him for about 2 to 3 minutes and then the solution was gone.. after I mixed the two together it only gave me about 10 little drops of fluid and the nebulizer was done blowing smoke after about 2 minutes, I just don't understand how that's going to be strong enough for long enough for him to breathe in and hopefully get better.. she has his original weight down which was 10 g originally.. I weighed him myself last night and he's up to 14 grams because I am feeding him the vital care twice daily as well as water through a syringe.. also while I have you here Tracy I was looking for you last night and clicked on your profile and I went to that website that you have listed on your profile here and I noticed that you guys had Bay trail on your website, it told me to fill out a contact form if I had any questions so I did but have not got a response yet I wanted to see if there was any way I could purchase some extra Bay trail from you guys.. because like I said she only gave me 1mL of Bay tril total....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom