Rare pinworm count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I took my beardie to the vet Friday night after she's been sleeping and hiding off and on for a few weeks now and has very little appetite. She's just under a year old. I have posted in here a few times regarding her enclosure set up, so i don't think it's her temps or anything, they all are on track. The vet just called and gave us the option to treat her for pinworms stating that the count came back as rare and that they usually wouldn't treat it, but given her behavior lately it's up to us to try it. As for her behavior she hides most of the day a few days a week. Doesn't move around much at all. She eats bugs a roach or superworm maybe 2-3 insects over the entire week. She will have small chopped greens from my hand only about every other day maybe five tiny pieces. She will only take food if I put to her nose, otherwise she will not hunt or seek food on her own. The vet is a specialized exotic vet and he said she looked great otherwise. So I'm here wondering what to do. How well do they handle parasite treatments and is it worth it if the count is rare? So I've only had her for 5 months and just am not experienced with reptiles. Should I administrater the meds for parasites or is this just a brumation thing?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Boy that is a tough one--- can you get the count from him and then ask Tracie- normally they dont treat unless the count is high-- Blaze was treated and he really wasnt showing signs and I was surprised it came back positive anyway -- I asked and they said it could of been he had had them when I got him and then they hatched :dontknow: so he was treated and his behavior nor eating really changed they had him on two different meds - albon and something started w/ a p cant remember now - his poops were not runny nor real smelly and he was acting normal so that is why I was really surprised -- he was on them for a week - 10 days then another fecal was taken in and the count was down and he was good - again no behavior change --- I was having to disinfect the tank every day pretty much - I took out most of his climbing decor - left one hide and one piece under his lights - easier to clean but taking the tile out was a pain in the neck-- I was disinfecting w/ F 10 -- I would consult w/ Tracie if you can get the counts - it might not hurt to start her on the meds to see if it changes her behavior - they will or can go off the food and not eat as much or some wont eat at all -- it never really changed Blaze thats why it was hard to believe he had them -- you will need to keep her hydrated -- has her poop been real runny and stinky? Thats usually a good sign of parasites -- sometimes its hard to determine between brumation / parasites -- usually they will go off their food if the count is real high as well -- your lighting in the tank is going to help w/ keeping them down -- it will help her stay in control over them -- hope this helps ---

Evergrowingfamily

Original Poster
Okay I just got off the phone with the vet's office and was told the count was 1-2 ova seen. I don't know much about veterinary medicine but that sounds pretty low to me. She said they don't usually treat it when it's that low. I'm wondering if trying to force meds down her throat would just stress her out even more... At this point I'm thinking of just not treating her for it and just trying to keep her comfortable and offering her food and taking her out of the enclosure when I can. If she eats a few small bites of greens misted with water is that going to be enough hydration for her? I could also put a dish of water in her enclosure in case she's thirsty. Anyway, thanks for your help. I am not sure how to contact Tracie or what her username is but I wouldn't mind passing this along to see what she thinks.
Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
PM her username is Drache613-- look for her on the board then click on her name her profile will come up on the left side of page look for PM -- if count is that low I would not treat IMO --- its not worth the stressing out-- I had the same thing w/ Hiccup a few years ago - he had a test come back w/ the counts low and I chose not to treat - the good lighting must have done the trick because the next year I had changed vets to the one I have now and a test was done and he came back clean -- but you can get her OP -- and see what she thinks --

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Low pinworm counts seem fairly common and don't tend to be harmful if everything else like lighting and diet are good. Not treating with meds is probably a good idea unless the count starts to get higher or behavior changes (lethargic, frequent runny poops etc). The meds to treat pinworms (Panacur usually) tend to be fairly mild, but I think it's still best to avoid meds unless they are really necessary.

Evergrowingfamily

Original Poster
Okay thanks for the help everyone. She entered brumation on Sunday and has been sleeping in her hide since then. I think that explains much of her odd behavior lately. I did pm Tracie as well and I'm just waiting on a response, but I feel better about her after seeing her enter brumation, many of my concerns were completely normal dragon behavior pre-brumation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom