Mouth growth/ possible cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I noticed that my bearded dragon (about 4 yrs old) was favoring one of his eyes and had a bit of what I assumed was stuck shed on his nostril on the same side. I started him on some Flukers reptile eye drops and made a vet appointment. About a week later at the appointment, they called me from inside (can’t go inside because of COVID restrictions) and told me his eye was completely normal, but he does have a sizable growth on the inside of his mouth. I had noticed a spot around the same time, but he really doesn’t spend much time gaping his mouth very wide and certainly isn’t doing it at me so I didn’t realize there was an issue there. His appetite was considerably normal and he seemed to be acting okay up until a day or so before the appointment, where he just seemed to not be as interested in food and wasn’t as interested in what’s going on outside the tank.

The vet did a swab of the growth and didn’t see a ton of bacteria, which they said was a bad sign because if there were a lot of types of bacteria the issue would more clearly be an infection that could be cleared up. They did a culture swab as well, and I haven’t heard the results back about that yet. I have a follow up appointment this week to check his progress. In the meantime, they’ve given me a general antibiotic, pain meds, a probiotic, and I have to have him bite down on gauze soaked in an antiseptic for 15-20 mins 2-3 times a day if possible. I also have to soak him for 15 mins a day. If they can’t find a cause for infection and/or the treatments aren’t helping they would then do a biopsy to get more answers but don’t believe they could surgically remove it and the problem would most likely be cancer.

I’m hoping someone has experience in this area or has seen anything like this. I’ve been doing everything I can to do all of the treatments, though it is difficult at times to keep the gauze in his mouth for so long and bathing him everyday while also poking and prodding at him is stressful for everyone. Overall he’s been cooperative and his mood and appetite have done a 180 since starting the treatments so I’m hoping they’re helping but I don’t want to be too optimistic. I can’t tell what’s happening in his mouth, or if it looks like it’s getting worse or better, and it looks horrible. He is more comfortable now at least. I’ve been trying to keep notes as well as to how long he is biting the gauze and what he’s eating and changes in his attitude. Any advice is appreciated!! [/img]

myotheraccount778

Original Poster
111120-2753307382.jpg
111120-9310033856.jpg
111120-4278378896.jpg
111120-7217411883.jpg
111120-6693364205.jpg
. The vet took a picture initially but didn’t send it to me, but the first picture is 7 days ago / 5 days after going to the vet. The second is yesterday and the next is today. Hoping someone could shed some light since they don’t seem to know. I also think it’s strange they haven’t called me with results from the culture after so long but I’m not sure how long it takes or if things are held up with COVID and all.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would probably avoid using antibiotics unless the vet has identified a source of infection (it sounds like the opposite so far). I think an oral cleanser would be a better place to start (less potential downside). Try dabbing the area with a q-tip covered with some MaxiGuard gel a few times a day and see if that starts to show signs of improvement. If the area continues to grow or look worse, a biopsy is probably a good idea.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, that doesn't really look like an infection so much, maybe mouth rot but hard to tell.
As suggested keep the mouth cleaned out to see if you can possibly get it cleared out. How
long has the mouth been looking like this?
Does he seem to be having any trouble eating or chewing? You can get a small soft tooth
brush also to try & brush his mouth/gums with it. Let us know how your boy is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom