Is my beardie stunted?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Is my beardie stunted?

Postby moby666 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 pm

Im kinda freaking out right now, so im sorry if parts of this are hard to understand.

My bearded dragon Moby is ~21 months old and about 17 inches tail to snout. I wish I could weigh her but I dont have a scale. I got her from a Petco (bad I know now) August 2019. I've never had problems with her, except when I first got her she didn't eat for a while but that cleared about 2 weeks after.

She basks, eats, she loves to sit on my shoulder while I work and she just generally seems quite content with her life. But when I look at pictures of other beardies they look like giants compared to her! Im worried shes stunted and wont reach a full size.

Is she stunted or am I paranoid? I've attached some pictures. I wanted to get one with her next to the ruler but mine is metallic and she tries to eat shiny things lol.

I hope those worked I've never posted pictures here before.
Also thats a quarter for scale.
moby666
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Is my beardie stunted?

Postby KarrieRee » Mon May 10, 2021 3:20 pm

As long as your lighting is good UVB NO coils and basking temps are 95-100 taken w / a digital probe thermometer and a good diet shes going to grow to what her genetics are -- she looks good -- you can get a kitchen scale from Walmart get one that weighs in grams too - and weigh her in grams - an adult weight average is 300 grams + -- dragons grow at different rates -- she may not grow for awhile and then have a spurt --
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby moby666 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:32 pm

KarrieRee wrote:As long as your lighting is good UVB NO coils and basking temps are 95-100 taken w / a digital probe thermometer and a good diet shes going to grow to what her genetics are -- she looks good -- you can get a kitchen scale from Walmart get one that weighs in grams too - and weigh her in grams - an adult weight average is 300 grams + -- dragons grow at different rates -- she may not grow for awhile and then have a spurt --

Her basking temp is ~102 and I use the ReptiSun® 10.0 Compact Fluorescent from ZooMed. Is this a coil bulb? I've had her on these since I got her.
I feed collards, dubias, and occasionally apple or strawberry.

I'll look for a scale next time I go out, thanks!
moby666
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon May 10, 2021 4:11 pm

Are you using the 13 watt or the 26 watt? And yes they are coils---- if you have the 13 watt please ditch that bulb ASAP------- those are NO good -- the 26 watt is ok but I am not a fan and you would do better w/ a long tube fixture like this https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-T ... 702&sr=8-2
This comes w/ a 10.0 bulb when you get this or if you get this change the bulb out -- the 5.0 bulb can be used for a back up but the distance and placement is different from the 10.0 bulb -- these are the best on the market at this time --- please if that bulb is a 13 watt get rid of it--- if you get the one I have recommended please let me know I will help you place it --- if you are using a 26 watt coil let me know they too have certain place and distance
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby moby666 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:53 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Are you using the 13 watt or the 26 watt? And yes they are coils---- if you have the 13 watt please ditch that bulb ASAP------- those are NO good -- the 26 watt is ok but I am not a fan and you would do better w/ a long tube fixture like this https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-T ... 702&sr=8-2
This comes w/ a 10.0 bulb when you get this or if you get this change the bulb out -- the 5.0 bulb can be used for a back up but the distance and placement is different from the 10.0 bulb -- these are the best on the market at this time --- please if that bulb is a 13 watt get rid of it--- if you get the one I have recommended please let me know I will help you place it --- if you are using a 26 watt coil let me know they too have certain place and distance

I'm using the 13 watt! I will be ditching it, do you know the difference between the T5 and the T8? I feel so bad about using a bad bulb for so long >:(
moby666
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon May 10, 2021 4:56 pm

The T 5 is a good strong bulb I recommend that one- that one does have options as far as placement but since you have been using the 13 watt I would put it in the tank -- the T 8 must go into the tank - that bulb is not as strong as the T 5-- the T 5 needs to be changed out 1 time per year I recommend a month prior to and the T 8 every 6 months a month prior to ---- the placement for the T 5 is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor and the T 8 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby moby666 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:54 pm

KarrieRee wrote:The T 5 is a good strong bulb I recommend that one- that one does have options as far as placement but since you have been using the 13 watt I would put it in the tank -- the T 8 must go into the tank - that bulb is not as strong as the T 5-- the T 5 needs to be changed out 1 time per year I recommend a month prior to and the T 8 every 6 months a month prior to ---- the placement for the T 5 is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor and the T 8 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

Okay, i will for sure be getting one thank you for your help!
moby666
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon May 10, 2021 6:07 pm

Let me know when it comes I will help you get it placed
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health