Lay box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moby666

Hi! Last Thursday I was taken by surprise when my 1.5 year old beardie (who I thought was male) started laying eggs! She layed 25 all around her enclosure and has been eating like crazy after.

I've been giving her extra bugs (dubias), calcium, and been offering more water cause that's what I read you should do. Haven't seen her drink water but I'll keep offering!

Since then I have been googling about gravid bearded dragons and seen some people make their dragons lay boxes. My girl layed without one, but would she be more comfortable if she had one? And if its something she would be more comfortable with, should I make a smaller one for inside her enclosure or a larger one outside?

Also, her belly has lumped back up and I think she's gonna lay more soon! About how fast will she produce another clutch?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They don't need a lay box, but it can be helpful for them to simulate digging into the ground and to provide a secure spot for them. Certainly worth putting one together and see how she likes it. Just a mix of damp play sand and organic topsoil should do the trick. You can get a tunnel started for her and see how it goes.

It's hard to say how long it will take for her to lay more. That seems to vary a lot between them. Just keep offering her water and calcium rich foods and see if she wants to dig around in a lay box.

Moved by moderator from General Discussion to Behavior.

moby666

Original Poster
CooperDragon":46oax8hq said:
They don't need a lay box, but it can be helpful for them to simulate digging into the ground and to provide a secure spot for them. Certainly worth putting one together and see how she likes it. Just a mix of damp play sand and organic topsoil should do the trick. You can get a tunnel started for her and see how it goes.

It's hard to say how long it will take for her to lay more. That seems to vary a lot between them. Just keep offering her water and calcium rich foods and see if she wants to dig around in a lay box.

Moved by moderator from General Discussion to Behavior.

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you! I will make one and see how it goes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom