Odd poops and funny walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr0ngl3z

Hi, for the last few days (3) my beardy, Grim, has had unusual poops. As in it would be a large amount of undigested foods such as his his 2 blueberries a week if he hadn't gotten any trouble and anything else he would have eaten in the last week. But between that would be just a normal poop. I know he usually used the bathroom no problem and I usually bring him out for a few hours for the morning sun till the afternoon where it's nolonger in my window, then I move him back into his enclosure, feed him and gently mist his face to see if he wants to drink that day. But for the last 3 days he refuses to eat as well, drinking is no problem.

Today also marks the day where his walking has been... off. He would start out slmost tripping sometimes and kinda fall on his face while other times he has no problem getting up snd running around the living room floor! I though he could have gotten MBD but I'm not too sure...

His tank stays between 70-80, the humidity is usually around 40-50 as we live in an old house on thr Beach of FL so I can't get it any lower, and his normal diet consists of Calcium powder with D3 dusted over strawberries, bell peppers, some collards, a hibiscus petal maybe once a week and a super worm or two as he was fed them and crickets most of his life so I've tried to make his diet healthier. We've had him sence December and he's 3 years old.

This all had also started right after we tried giving his Dubi Roaches and one of those canned gourmet grasshoppers for reptiles as I had seen it recommended before. Could this sudden change in meat be affecting him this badly?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not the food ---- windows filter the UVB rays so hes basically getting nothing from there -- what are you using for a UVB---- brand and bulb and where is it in the tank or on top of the screen ? Basking temps should be 95-100 for a adult dragon -- undigested food tells me his basking temps are not high enough and you need a digital probe thermometer to get those accurate temps NO stick ons-- he sounds like he might be impacted from not having the food digested or it could be MBD or both

Pr0ngl3z

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3lxk4uvw said:
Not the food ---- windows filter the UVB rays so hes basically getting nothing from there -- what are you using for a UVB---- brand and bulb and where is it in the tank or on top of the screen ? Basking temps should be 95-100 for a adult dragon -- undigested food tells me his basking temps are not high enough and you need a digital probe thermometer to get those accurate temps NO stick ons-- he sounds like he might be impacted from not having the food digested or it could be MBD or both

Yes we have a digital thermometer, I made sure to research the right ones before taking him in. I probably should have added that I open the window for him, luckily the window screen keeps him from walking out.

We bought two of the "Deluxe Priceline Clamp Lamp"s from Zoo Med, along with a "Powerful H.I.D. Metal Halifr UVB Lamp" and a "Nano Infrared Heat Lamp" they sit on the metal mesh of his 40 gal as I haven't been able to get anything to suspend them yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the Nano is a colored bulb? If it is get rid of it please----- NOW -- colored bulbs can do damage to the dragons and cause long term eye damage - dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads besides disrupting the sleep dragons like cool and dark -- the MVB I would get rid of as well - w/ your dragon not digesting his food and walking funny it could be hes impacted or developing MBD--- so w/ that I would get rid of that bulb as well and get a regular solid bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 -- w/ him not eating that can be attributed to the improper basking temps and improper UVB--- you want this fixture and this bulb that comes w/ the fixture
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-Terrarium-Inside-ReptiSun/dp/B07HJG7TJ4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TH628Y9VDO76&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+24+inch+uvb+bulb+fixture&qid=1620678675&sprefix=zoo+med+24%22+%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1
the 5.0 can be used as a back up but the distance is different from the 10.0 bulb --- I would get this changed out ASAP--- when you get it please repost and I will help you get it set up --

Pr0ngl3z

Original Poster
I ordered it yesterday ans it'llbe here Friday. He still refuses to eat but I am keeping a close eye on him, poop has been normal today but his wrists have been weak so I've just had him cuddling on my chest after work. He's had stress spots all day and night but he's seeming to calm down rn while cuddling. I got him check by a vet and they did tell me yes its MBD but I noticed sooner than first time reptile pet owners do so after getting the new lighting set up Friday should help stop it from getting worse. Thank you for spending your time to help me figure out what's going on with him.

Is there also a Calcium powder you recommend that might work better? He had a very minor muscle twitch and idk if the one from Zoo Med is doing the job right.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Post back here when the UVB comes in I will help you get it placed in the tank--- this will help it from getting worse

SPandS

Juvie Member
The calcium powder you have now should be fine, the problem is without a good uvb light he isn't able to absorb it the way he needs. Once you get the t5ho bulb you can eventually start using calcium without d3 as they are good bulbs and he should be able to produce his own d3. Bringing him out in the nice Florida sun will be very helpful too. You could also get a liquid calcium, I've heard they are able to absorb it better than a powder but again the one you have now should be just fine. The most important thing is getting him a good uvb bulb.

I'm not sure if I read it correctly or not but you offer salads once a week? They should be offered every day and mainly be dark leafy greens with smaller amounts of the other things you named.

The undigested food in his poop could be from basking temps that aren't warm enough.

Pr0ngl3z

Original Poster
I just want to thank you guys for helping me. Unfortunately it was neither and he has Gastric Cancer. We took him for an emergency check up after throwing up and he has a huge growth in his right side that was missed the other day because it was under his spine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh dear --- what is the prognosis for him now? I am so sorry to hear -- the good lighting will help tho so when it comes please post back on here -- are they going to do surgery or is that an option ?

Pr0ngl3z

Original Poster
His glucose should have been maybe 100 but it was 640, he vomited this morning and it took up a whole quarter of his abdominal cavity so we did what would be best for him as he wouldn't of made it to tomorrow, but I now know what to do in the future. It was just genetic and there was nothing else that could have been done but to euthanize him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am so sorry :( -- that is terrible -- it is so hard to lose them and not to be able to help -- :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom