Newbie uvb lighting question help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your tank looks really nice, very organized & bright, too.
It looks like you are readjusting your lighting so I'm sure your dragon will greatly
appreciate the efforts. Terrific looking dragon, too.

Tracie

Shue562

Original Poster
Is it possible that the new uvb light could be bothering my beardies eye??and the fact that I moved it inside her tank. She’s been keeping her eyes a little low since a moved it inside and been hanging out on the cool side where there’s less light.she is being treated for parasites so she may just not be feeling well .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Reptisuns are not known to cause eye issues - they can bother dragons eyes if the UVB is shining in the eyes themselves meaning the fixture would be on the back wall right in the eyesight to them -- the medication can make them cranky --- how long before shes off the med? It can effect their eating as well and what has the behavior before the parasites? Was she under the UVB then?

Shue562

Original Poster
I mounted the light under the lid so on the ceiling but against the back wall. I could move it to the middle if you think that might help. Her behavior was off (she hung out in her hide on the cool side for a couple days not doing much and that’s when I took her in)when I got her two months ago which is what led to the vet visit and parasite diagnosis. I don’t remember her keeping her eyes low and she was staying on the hot side and basking more. Her last dose of meds was almost two weeks ago.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You don't want it on the back wall- move it to the middle or as closest to the basking bulb as possible+--- what are you using for a basking bulb? No off white or yellowish no coil bulbs--- you want a bright white one solid bulb

Shue562

Original Poster
I’ll take a picture of the lighting tomorrow when my girl is awake. I’ll try to do a birds eye view so you can really see the set up. Because of how big the fixture is the actual light is about 2-3 “ away from the wall. The basking bulb is a zoomed repti basking white bulb 150w. I have the basking lamp as close as possible without the bulb being above it. That long hammock that is in the picture is on the left side and then angled to the back wall.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the basking bulb is good --- just trying to get this lighting completely ruled out as far as the behavior - it sounds like shes doing a semi brumation thing -- keep track of her weight -- has she been coming out to eat?

Shue562

Original Poster
I thought she might be brumating when I first got her or sick. That’s why I took her to the vet and found out about the parasites. She doesn’t go in her hide anymore. She usually just perks up wherever she went to sleep and just hangs out there.
111056-8657057359.jpg
111056-7191501264.jpg
111056-9692279789.jpg
there’s the lighting picks and her looking morning grumpy.hopefully that’s a good angle. The uvb bulb runs along almost the length of the hammock and sticks out about half way through the width. The two months that I’ve had her she has been pretty lazy . She will 2-3 times a week go and eat her salad herself . The rest of the time I hand feed it to her and she’ll eat 1/2-2/3 of it. She has never put a lot of energy into the chase of feeders . If she has to take more then a couple steps to chase a roach she’ll lose interest. The only time I’ve ever seen her climb down from basking or put a lot of effort is if it’s a hornworm . She will do whatever necessary to get to those. Her previous owner hand feed her all insects so I’m not sure if this is all just learned laziness or illness. I do need to get a new scale mine seems to be broken but I don’t believe she is losing any weight but gaining. She’s starting to develop some beardie boobs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She looks good ---- and I am glad shes not hiding out in the hide anymore -- the distance from the hammock for the UVB is 8-10 inches correct? You want her basking eating pooping and active -- shes being lazy not chasing the bugs anymore --- I feed mine and Hiccup wont chase them too much either Blaze will but hes still not quite 2 and Hiccup is over 3 - he will how ever go after those horn worms -- I would get her out of the tank and let her run your LR floor - shes gaining weight if she getting boobs :lol:

Shue562

Original Poster
I have the t8 bulb so I have the distance 6-8” away. She’s just never seemed very “active “ to me . Keep in mind she’s my first and it only been two months plus she wasn’t getting the best care ever. When I I take her out and let her run around she usually just finds a comfy place in the couch or next to the window and lays down

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
OHHH ok your UVB needs to go into the tank then --- correct distance but different placement- the T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen - its cutting out about 30% of those rays -- please move into the tank here are some things to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers and this stuff I use it in my tanks its like a Velcro strap cut into strips it works really good wrap around the fixture
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

Shue562

Original Poster
It is inside the tank. Are the pictures not going through? I can see them but maybe others can’t ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom