Trying to Help my Brother's Sick Looking Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie26

I am very new to this forum and just figured out how to post things. My family life is very complicated, so I cannot have clear communication with my brother and I cannot change his beardie's substrate or the lighting.
I don't know what the temperatures are in his beardie's (Lady's) tank, but she has loose substrate. She is about five years old and 16.5" long. Last time I checked, about a month ago, she weighed 235 grams.

My parents bred her and a friend's dragon last year without any knowledge on how to care for the babies. There were about 10 that hatched, only two are alive. One was given to the male beardie's owner and I insisted on keeping the other one. I researched a lot on how to care for young ones and he is about 6 months old now and I believe he is healthy.

Lady has what I think is her ribcage showing and she eats very little. It seems like she has trouble seeing crickets, so she only eats dusted ones. My brother only feeds her superworms, so I try and get her out of the cage to feed her crickets. I have tried to feed her veggies but she isn't used to them and won't eat them on purpose, only when there are crickets on it. I want to help her, and I read about people giving beardies liquefied veggies. I also bought multivitamin powder but I've seen contradicting information on how often to use it. When she was young, she had what I believe was MBD. Her mouth is uneven. How can I help her without changing the enclosure? Should I give her veggie "soup"? I'll try to attach photos.
111083-7557365061.jpg
111083-8773893881.jpg
111083-4907638505.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lady is severely sick- mbd for sure - w/out proper uvb she probably isn't going to make it much longer- she needs a long tube fixture-- 24" zoo med for a 40+ gallon tank--- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb--- basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- all this needs to be changed ASAP-- I am surprised she's eating at all- dragons cannot absorb synethsize their calcium and this leads to mbd among a ton of other health issues- you can feed her slurries of veggies like collards mustard kale and turnip greens w/ some squash like zucchini or yellow etc-- I am flagging post to the vet tech mod

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Lady is a pretty girl, but definitely too thin & malnourished.
So she is your brother's dragon & you don't get to see her often? If you aren't able to
get him to change or improve his lighting or nutrition unfortunately, there wont be much
you can do.
It is evident that she needs a better UVB & supplementation. She simply wont make it
much longer if she isn't able to eat or absorb any of her calcium, vitamins or other essential
nutrients that are basic for her life & health overall. Giving a nutritional greens slurry can
help to get fluids & nutrition into her if you are able to do that at least 4 times per week.
If there is not a good UVB light over her that is absolutely essential though.

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
chester
and also if you dont know how to post a reply there is a white button with red words that says post reply on the bottom left side of your screen!

Julie26

Original Poster
I will try to get her a new UVB as soon as I can, I can try and replace the light when he isn't home. I put my beardie's thermometre in her tank and her basking spot is 91F. She ate two superworms today and maybe 8 crickets dusted with multivitamins, a few drops of a veggie slush of squash and collard greens. She won't eat more than that. Her poop today was very liquid, and the white part had a yellow tone.

How often should I dust crickets/superworms? Should I avoid superworms? I read somwhere that they are bad for their digestive system, but it is easier to get her to eat supers than crickets.

Thanks so much for the replies, any help is very much appreciated!

Julie26

Original Poster
Also I can see her and take her out often, but it is very difficult to change things in her tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is crucial and basking temps should be 95-100 for her-- I would feed her insects the crickets 5 x per week since Tracie has said shes malnourished but I would switch them to dubias they are better feeder and nutritional wise as well -- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week --
www.dubiaroaches.com
Even if your dusting those roaches w/ calcium D3 shes not going to be able to absorb it w/ out the UVB -- the digestion system works on proper UVB and basking temps- you must get those fixed to fix the poop --the superworms can be given 2-3 times per week you can dust them if your want to ----she likes the super worms cuz theyn are a treat worm -- I would look at getting the dubias for her --- why is it difficult to fix the things in the tank? If its because of your brother he obviously so doesnt care about the dragon --

Julie26

Original Poster
I tried to get dubias for my beardie as well, but they are illegal in Canada.. God knows why. My brother makes it very difficult to change up her tank, but I will definitely try. Thanks so much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Superworms are fine for them as long as there is some variety, too. I know it's hard dealing
with your brother's dragon, but the dragon simply will not make it if some changes aren't made
soon. Maybe you could take over care of the dragon & take her home with you?

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Julie26

Original Poster
Me and my brother both live with our parents, it is a complicated family dynamic, I have to step on eggshells when speaking to him. I will be moving out soon though, and I'll be taking her with me.

I was able to order new uvb lamps today, and I am putting another heat lamp in her tank in a few minutes. She seemed a lot more active and her poop was more solid as well. She is still pooping every day though. Is this normal for adults?

Thanks again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes its good shes pooping every day --once you get the UVB please let me know so I can help you place it ---- what did you order? Make sure your keeping an eye on those basking temps --- they need to be 95-100 for her and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok those aren't bad not the best the long tube would of been better- so w/ that bulb it needs to be unobstructed directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches-- it needs to be in a reflective dome! Change it out in 6 months I recommend 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom