Very sick beardie!! Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeezaa87

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2butgw2h said:
The correct basking temps and correct lighting are going to increase the appetite unless hes really sick - but w/ him eating now the incorrect lighting is causing the appetite loss -- but the colored bulbs are a big issue-- colored bulbs can cause long term eye damage and they distort their vision -- they have better eyesight than we do -- the heat gun is good it just does not work on hammocks and certain materials on basking decor--- that is why I suggested the digital probe they are the most accurate - I use all 3 gauges in my two tanks ---- stick ons for ambient digital for accuracy and IR guns -- your bright white bulb will start digestion and the UVB will help him process his calcium -- what is the liquid your giving him? He probably is not going to eat much until you get that lighting fixed in the tank-- again tell me what your using for a UVB fixture?

It's strange you say that as actually I have wondered if he has sight problems since we had him...whenever he was offered food it would take him a few attempts to accurately be able to catch it to eat it. Sometimes it would be right in front of him and he would miss a few times. Hes also walked into things a few times.
His UVB is an extra terra uvb tube attached to the side of his tank with no reflector.
Will look into the digital probe now too.
Vet said the liquid is just a fluid to help with dehydration it contains electrolytes etc. He hasn't eaten a thing since Saturday when he would only eat 7 mealworms.
Have a copy of his medical report from yesterday if any good alongside the xrays? I'm no expert but I cant see a mass if anyone can point it out to me.

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need a fixture for that UVB bulb ---- did you order just a reflector or what? That UVB needs to come off the back wall and go directly above him --- your dragon is very sick w/ having improper lighting -- your vet should have gone over all these things w/ you --- this stuff I am recommending you get and fix is crucial to the overall health and behavior of the dragon --- I am linking you to what you need to get for a fixture if your tank is 40 + gallon you need this fixture
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1UDIYNZD1UY57&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+24+inch+uvb+bulb+fixture&qid=1620239651&sprefix=Zoo+Med+24%22+%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-3

Did you order the Arcadia 12% bulb ? I think you said you did --- that bulb will go right into this fixture - if you ordered the reflector send it back -- this fixture has a reflector in it

The X ray you posted Tracie needs to look at -- your dragon wont eat correctly till all the lighting in the tank is fixed

Zeezaa87

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2d4ow73q said:
You need a fixture for that UVB bulb ---- did you order just a reflector or what? That UVB needs to come off the back wall and go directly above him --- your dragon is very sick w/ having improper lighting -- your vet should have gone over all these things w/ you --- this stuff I am recommending you get and fix is crucial to the overall health and behavior of the dragon --- I am linking you to what you need to get for a fixture if your tank is 40 + gallon you need this fixture
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1UDIYNZD1UY57&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+24+inch+uvb+bulb+fixture&qid=1620239651&sprefix=Zoo+Med+24%22+%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-3

Did you order the Arcadia 12% bulb ? I think you said you did --- that bulb will go right into this fixture - if you ordered the reflector send it back -- this fixture has a reflector in it

The X ray you posted Tracie needs to look at -- your dragon wont eat correctly till all the lighting in the tank is fixed

Yes I ordered the arcadia 12% bulb, it said it came with the reflector included will double check. As soon as that arrives I will install them onto the roof of his tank and closer to his basking spot. Also his white light should be here tomorrow

Vet didn't mention a thing and as far as I was concerned the lights and stuff we had was appropriate as per what we were sold, so angry for my poor boy. Looking over this site I can see we haven't had the correct things for him and I'm hoping it's not too late. I know he arrived sick but I'm praying this will help. Thanks so much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you post the link of what you ordered-- did you order a Arcadia fixture w/ the bulb in it? please post that for me and also when you get it please let me know so I can help you place w/ correct distance for it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that is a good one -- okay when it comes place the fixture in the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- change the bulb out in approx 1 year I recommend a month prior to ---when is it arriving? please keep me updated

Zeezaa87

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ycaytcm said:
Yes that is a good one -- okay when it comes place the fixture in the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- change the bulb out in approx 1 year I recommend a month prior to ---when is it arriving? please keep me updated

It's due Friday. I will let you know when im attempting the set up and send pics to ensure it's appropriate. Appreciate your help x

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely post some pictures of when you get your new lighting all setup.
How is your dragon doing today?
I hope that he ate something today & stayed warm. We are all pulling for his recovery.

Tracie

Zeezaa87

Original Poster
Drache613":1us8li7r said:
Hello,

Definitely post some pictures of when you get your new lighting all setup.
How is your dragon doing today?
I hope that he ate something today & stayed warm. We are all pulling for his recovery.

Tracie

Good morning,
Will send pictures of his new setup tomorrow when everything arrives. He is still pretty much the same. Lethargic and just sleeping. Passing lots of liquid with the fluids he's on. We haven't handled him much other than his warm baths x2 daily as he doesn't seem to want it.
Hoping and praying he's going to get better. I can see now he had an awful set up at his last home which has resulted in so many problems and although we have helped in some ways not all of that had been eradicated.

Any ideas how to get some food into him? He's not showing any interest at all when we offer him and I don't know whether to leave him or to maybe syringe feed him something.

Also when he passes the very loose almost water like stools what am I looking for? How will I know hes passed the blockage? Will he perk up immediately. Going to give him a few more days with the new lighting if not its back to the vets.

Thank you x

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If its sand I am gonna assume it will be grainy - have you tried feeding canned pumpkin or some unsweetened applesauce? See if he will lick the food on his own and try some raw unpasteurized honey on top drop a couple of drops to entice him to eat it some honey like Manuka -- That will make him go to the bathroom -- I would lay off those baths -- the UVB will show some signs right away w/ his behavior --- I would place it in the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above his basking spot or closest to it --- here are some things that you can use to hang w/ --3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties--fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers-- and I use this stuff it works great and I cant remember if your in the states or not its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and then wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor boy, he does look ill. Some important Q's....was he this sick/lethargic before you started the 3X a day meds. ? What is the name of the meds ? Was he tested for parasites ? And Karrie is right, he should be passing sand if this was the problem, although it's slightly possible. I'm not sure that he needs surgery, I don't see a big blockage on the Xray and if he's pooing then his bowels are moving. Post pics of any poo he makes ASAP.

Zeezaa87

Original Poster
KarrieRee":37avqhq1 said:
If its sand I am gonna assume it will be grainy - have you tried feeding canned pumpkin or some unsweetened applesauce? See if he will lick the food on his own and try some raw unpasteurized honey on top drop a couple of drops to entice him to eat it some honey like Manuka -- That will make him go to the bathroom -- I would lay off those baths -- the UVB will show some signs right away w/ his behavior --- I would place it in the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above his basking spot or closest to it --- here are some things that you can use to hang w/ --3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties--fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers-- and I use this stuff it works great and I cant remember if your in the states or not its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and then wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

I bought some manuka honey today for his eyes so I will offer him that but some apple puree.
In the UK but we actually have some fishing line so will secure it with that.

He passed some watery but also slightly grainy faeces laat night but just water since. He's been slightly more alert today actually had his head up and eyes open.

Thank you

Zeezaa87

Original Poster
111096-2161972984.jpg
111096-4804453873.jpg

Hi. These are images from last night, not v clear as on newpaper but I thinm you can make it out. He's not eaten since Saturday.

Zeezaa87

Original Poster
AHBD":qovmr6p2 said:
Poor boy, he does look ill. Some important Q's....was he this sick/lethargic before you started the 3X a day meds. ? What is the name of the meds ? Was he tested for parasites ? And Karrie is right, he should be passing sand if this was the problem, although it's slightly possible. I'm not sure that he needs surgery, I don't see a big blockage on the Xray and if he's pooing then his bowels are moving. Post pics of any poo he makes ASAP.

I have posted some pic of what he passed last night.
He has improved slightly which is more to do I'd say with no longer being dehydrated. He had diarrhoea for a few days before he started on the fluids. But overall not much improvement and has been this way since Tuesday.
I dont think he was tested for parasites as far as I am aware it was the xrays and dealing with the dehydration they did.
Not sure of the name of fluid hes on....vet said it was electeolytes and things to try and flush if out.

Hes now been referred to a new vet where they will see and do the surgery if needed. Thanks for helping

Spikeyboo

My beardie needs help too. She’s about 6or7 and just suddenly went limp. She was opening her mouth and sticking her tongue out and kept swallowing then suddenly she went limp. Is this a sign of burmation or sudden illness? She was fine and then this happened and hasn’t ate or drank or moved really since. I’ve never seen her do this before. When she opens her eyes they are like squinting and she’s having a hard time moving, she’s actually not really moving at all now or doing that mouth thing to much anymore. But she will barely open her mouth and then close her eyes. Is death near if so I will put her down? Or do I pay to find out what’s wrong? She’s on day 2 1/2 like this with no signs of improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom