MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is the UVB part of the basking area it looks like it but not much I would make it so hes getting alot of the UVB -- can you pull the light more toward the front and put the UVB closer to the area of basking or you can place the UVB width wise across the tank closer to the basking area if it get its more over him--- I am sorry but hes in really rough shape -- where did he come from?

slandes23

Original Poster
We got him 4 months ago from my fiancée’s brother who just didn’t take care of him at all. Like I said he was in a 10 gallon with one light over him. He weighed 100 grams now he’s at 155 g thanks to his syringe diet. We basically just took him and gave her brother no choice because of how bad of shape he was in. He’s been to the vet twice and she thinks we are doing a great job considering. His back was like an S when we got him now it’s a little more straight.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok thats what I meant good deal -- well it sounds like your doing what you can for him --- is he not able to eat on his own at all? What are you syringe feeding him? I have flagged your post to have AHBD and Tracie help and chime in here -- I dont know if they will have any more suggestions for you but it sounds like your doing what you can for him --- poor dragon --- I feel so bad for these dragons that are not taken care of properly :(

slandes23

Original Poster
So I rotate between his omnivore EmerAid and his Repta-boost every morning. Then in the evening he gets about 3 ml of baby food sprinkled with his calcium. This week is the organic sweet potato apple pumpkin because he has a hard time pooping. He’s just not strong enough to push it out all the way. I have super worms and Dubai roaches that he would eat in the beginning but now he just stares at them but I try every day and even put food in his bowl just in case. Even though he doesn’t touch it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I can understand the having a hard time pooping and you dont want him impacted that is for sure -- maybe its best hes not eating he dubias and the super worms -- but I want the two I flagged the post to to give some pointers on what to feed him -- :) -- but it does sound like your doing a good job - how is the pooping going --- does he poop everyday or how often ?

slandes23

Original Poster
There was a week and a half earlier this month that he did not poop. Scared me so bad but finally got him to go and as of this week he has gone a little bit each day. Starts out with the white urate and then just a little brown. He struggles so bad that his back legs almost go up into a Y and he shakes. So afraid of prolapse. I’ve given him 25 min warm baths when he’s really struggling and massage his belly but he won’t try in the water at all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so w/ that said soft foods ONLY -- no insects or worms -- for now till Tracie advises or AHBD --- you do not want him impacted at all ---- and w/ the struggling hes doing now its not worth it ---- make sure hes hydrated -- water that baby food down it will help coming out -- and the Omnivore Emeraid I am not sure about that --- they are gonna haft to advise

slandes23

Original Poster
Thank you so much for everything. I just hope we are giving him a good life for his remaining time. Any advise or tips help so much. I spend so much time on google but a lot of the answers I need are for healthy dragons. Ours is definitely special.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is why I have referred you to them they are more qualified than I am but knowing some stuff I hope this helps -- the lighting especially -- but w/ him all of it is applying --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, but, at least you were able to get him to your home & he has a great chance at an
extended life with you. I am assuming his tail had gotten injured in the other person's care &
he lost that portion of it?
I am very impressed with your efforts, it is emotionally draining & distressing dealing with this
type of situation. Sorry if I missed the tube UVB brand, is it the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3
12%? If it is a T8 you could try to get that to an 8 inch distance for a little stronger UVB to him.
I agree, soft foods are probably the best for now so he wont suffer any impactions at all. You
could consider some small waxworms or small calcium/phoenix worms to handfeed him, a few
times per week as a treat. I feel he could easily digest & pass those.
He may be having a hard time going to the bathroom simply due to low calcium levels. The
powdered foods you are using now along with the baby foods are terrific. I find that they love
the combination of chicken or turkey mixed with sweet potatoes, squash or pumpkin baby foods
also.
You might consider getting a liquid calcium for him if you aren't already using one. It absorbs a
lot better for those that have metabolic bone issues.
Your setup looks nice for him too so he cant hurt himself by having to try & climb anywhere. You
could also try some water therapy, in which you can massage his spine & gently try to straighten
it out little by little. He might enjoy trying to swim around a little bit too, for exercise.

Let us now how he is doing.
Tracie

slandes23

Original Poster
His UVB is a reptisun 10. I am not sure how or when he lost his tail. I will definitely look into the liquid calcium. He gets baths probably 5X a week. I don’t let him swim. He just doesn’t know how. Don’t think he was cleaned very often with previous owner. He also lays flat. When we first got him we bathed him and he literally tried to drown himself. Even looked dead for a minute. Had to rush him to a vet. Now he just relaxes at an angle on a rag when he bathes. I don’t mind syringe feeding him and doing what I need to do since I’m off work but starting in the middle of May I do go back to work until October. So that really stresses me out. My fiancée will be able to feed him I’ve just grown so attached and will worry all the time.

WildMountain

Thank you for saving the little one! Do you get him outside in beautiful healing natural sun? Not only is that natural sun the best you can get him, but they seem to really enjoy the experience. :) We have been taking ours out daily now that it is starting to warm up. Today is a stormy day, tho. Sorry lizard butts, you are stuck inside.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for rescuing him. Many wouldn't do anything, or even realize there was a need to step in and help.

Edit: for swimming could you support his body and head above water and get him to move his legs? Movement is so so important! I love that you make him wiggle around. Get that heart rate up(in a safe way!). Movement is like medicine. You could also try CBD oil for pain management and anti inflammatory.

slandes23

Original Poster
111039-9403214328.jpg

This is him this morning. Yes he has his own blankets. He’s done really good the last couple days. Still isn’t eating on his own but is pooping really well everyday. He’s only been outside twice this year since I live in Idaho and it’s barely starting to warm up. He’s been taking a lot of baths recently since he was peeling really bad and I do work with him while he’s in there. He’s so funny when I make him exercise when he gets tired or annoyed he bobs his head at me. That’s when I know he’s had enough for a bit. I haven’t tried cbd I will look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom