Beardie not laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe11032

Does anyone know why my female hasn’t laid yet? It’s been 3 days in the lay box now. She’s not eating, but is still active and wall surfing like crazy. She makes burrows and turns around like she’s going to lay, but then just walks out eventually. Not sure why? This is this females first clutch with me. She had 32 last year with old owner. I’ve tried pre digging a hole, and then taking her out and back in. Any tips? All of her temps are normal (about 95 basking spot in lay bin according to temp gun). She's in 12 inches of damp (sandcastle type) play sand. Thanks in advance :blob5:
-Zoe

wuQoPQE.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, some are fussier when laying time comes, might be just to spite you. :) Just kidding, they all act differently at laying time so just be patient. It would be nice if it was the same every time but laying behavior + time can vary with every clutch.

zoe11032

Original Poster
AHBD":14fm1rd0 said:
Hi there, some are fussier when laying time comes, might be just to spite you. :) Just kidding, they all act differently at laying time so just be patient. It would be nice if it was the same every time but laying behavior + time can vary with every clutch.

Thanks! I had figured it was just a matter of me being patient and probably a semi-large clutch, knowing this girls history. She's still active, digging a lot this morning actually. Picky and fussy, huh? :lol:

zoe11032

Original Poster
Well, she ended up laying 33 eggs last night around 10:30, one more than her last breeding season. I believe some are infertile but we'll see! It was this males first time breeding, so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it, or because I left them in the lay box overnight.

2EMNWMi.jpg

1tv4drv.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What a good girl, she worked hard to produce that big clutch ! How deep is the vermiculite ? Make sure that the vermiculite is damp enough and check every few days to be sure no fertile eggs are shriveling from lack of hydration. Do you have lids for the containers ? Also, be sure that she gets plenty to eat,, even twice a day to keep her weight up. A good 10 minute soak will allow her to drink which is also helpful after laying a large clutch.

zoe11032

Original Poster
AHBD":3vcvjk3n said:
What a good girl, she worked hard to produce that big clutch ! How deep is the vermiculite ? Make sure that the vermiculite is damp enough and check every few days to be sure no fertile eggs are shriveling from lack of hydration. Do you have lids for the containers ? Also, be sure that she gets plenty to eat,, even twice a day to keep her weight up. A good 10 minute soak will allow her to drink which is also helpful after laying a large clutch.

Thanks for the advice! I actually already bathed her this morning, and I ended up making the vermiculite deeper and a bit more moist. There are lids, that was just for photo purposes haha. She has eaten calcium dusted superworms and a small salad so far! Woohoo! :blob5:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, sounds good ! Make sure the lids have a lot of holes in them too and check for condensation + wipe it away with a paper towel so it doesn't drip on the eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom