New Uromastyx Questions

HerpMama

So I have a yellow uromastyx, supposedly captive bred. It's supposed to be a baby, but looks bigger. My main concern is that I got it shipped, it came overnight and it looks very thin. Are uromastyx just generally wrinkly when still growing? It seems pretty alert, been running around and basking, but haven't really noticed it eating anything. Today is the 1st day I've had it. Not sure about the sex yet.

HerpMama

Original Poster
105806-6344446870.jpg
105806-9288130588.jpg
105806-4367369949.jpg

I have a decent size enclosure. I've got the temp right. But the humidity is 35%, I am trying to get it lower.

Also is there a way to change the name on here?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks ok to me, is he eating at all yet?

He looks to be a yellow saharan if you were unaware.

What do you have his basking temp at currently? And are you using a probe thermometer to measure it, or just the dial on the side of the tank?

In regards to your name change, private message me what you'd like it changed to.

-Brandon

HerpMama

Original Poster
Claudiusx":dxot0ioy said:
He looks ok to me, is he eating at all yet?

He looks to be a yellow saharan if you were unaware.

What do you have his basking temp at currently? And are you using a probe thermometer to measure it, or just the dial on the side of the tank?

In regards to your name change, private message me what you'd like it changed to.

-Brandon

I was told it was a baby yellow Niger uromastyx. His basking temp is 130 and I use a temperature gun. So he doesn't look too thin? He seems like a dang pancake. I don't understand how he had so much energy he looks like a deflated lizard.?

I have not witnessed him eating yet, I offered some fresh greens, radicchio and millet today.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup :) Saharan/Nigerian same thing, different names.

He is definitely not an adult, but I am not good at guesstimating Uro ages based on size like I am with dragons. I don't think he looks too skinny at all personally. Uros can be a bit more wrinkly, but they can be quite plump looking too. He might not eat for awhile, and he might only eat a little bit when you aren't looking. My saharan/Nigerian was very shy to eat in front of me.

If you can, i'd suggest buying a digital with probe end (they are less than 10 bucks) just to verify your temp gun is reading your basking surface properly if you don't already have one. Temp guns are fine, but they can read very off if the surface material they are pointed at is a material outside of it's calibration range. But if your probe and gun match up, you are good to go.

-Brandon

HerpMama

Original Poster
Claudiusx":y223dkuw said:
Yup :) Saharan/Nigerian same thing, different names.

He is definitely not an adult, but I am not good at guesstimating Uro ages based on size like I am with dragons. I don't think he looks too skinny at all personally. Uros can be a bit more wrinkly, but they can be quite plump looking too. He might not eat for awhile, and he might only eat a little bit when you aren't looking. My saharan/Nigerian was very shy to eat in front of me.

If you can, i'd suggest buying a digital with probe end (they are less than 10 bucks) just to verify your temp gun is reading your basking surface properly if you don't already have one. Temp guns are fine, but they can read very off if the surface material they are pointed at is a material outside of it's calibration range. But if your probe and gun match up, you are good to go.

-Brandon

Can you share a link with me from Amazon maybe or some other website so I get the right kind? Please? I want to get it right. I love my lil uro.❤

Ryanps

Local reptile store suggested this one to me https://www.amazon.com/Bio-Dude-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Amphibians/dp/B07QZCX3JT/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=reptile+thermometer+bio+dude&qid=1619661942&sr=8-1 but I would think any thermometer with a probe would work fine. I have found that using it for the basking spot you really don’t need the hygrometer because the heat throws off the humidity reading. Mine always registers about 10 to 15% lower on the humidity reading then the actual ambient reading for the rest of the tank at least when the basking light is on. Also just to be totally transparent I am rather new to this myself.
- Ryan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom