Baby beardie hardly eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanttii

Hi, I got Dugg about 3 weeks ago. He was doing fine and eating 3 times a day dubias and crickets with no problem. He started shedding and slowly started eating less and less. It has Been a few days since he has shed about 3-4 and he is hardly eating. He eats 2-3 bugs now and today he refused to eat any. I did see him nibbling on his salad. He has also started losing weight. He is pooping fine. I’m worried because of how young he is. I should also mention he never shedded his tail. I have a 18 inch thrive 15 watt uvb and a zoo med basking light. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (He Is sleeping in the picture)
110988-5945543605.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I love the name Dugg, he looks very sweet. You may need to get him tested for parasites or
worms, which is very common especially when they are rehomed. I am not real familar with
the Thrive brand, but it may not be the highest quality of UVB. If it's made in China then the
quality is most likely poor.
I would recommend getting either the Reptisun 10 tube bulb or the Arcadia D3 12% tube.
The quality of UVB emissions are much better.
How often do you give calcium for him?
Since he isn't eating much right now, you can try some chicken or turkey baby food, mixed
with squash or sweet potato baby food. Use a plastic dropper or syringe to feed him by dripping
food onto the end of his nose. He should like the flavor & lick the food off of his nose.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures?

Tracie

Shanttii

Original Poster
I will definitely be going to buy a new UVB. I do calcium 3 times a week and a multivitamin once a week. If he does not want to eat this morning then I will definitely try the baby food method. For temps I am using a digital thermometer with a probe. The parasite thing is scary, do they show any signs?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not eating lethargic are signs of parasites --- get your lighting fixed -- if you get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 it will need to go inside the tank 6-8 inches and put a piece of decor directly underneath -- also check that fixture you have --most Thrive fixtures do not have reflectors from what I am experiencing --- it needs a reflector so you may be buying a new fixture as well ---- if you need help w/ the hanging in the tank please ask I can post some things on here that will help you but you MUST get the UVB fixed --- if you decide to have him tested for parasites NO ENEMAS --- take fecal to the vet ---- it is too risky and the outcome can be disastrous--

Shanttii

Original Poster
I offered him some crickets with calcium this morning and he ate 4-5. I will definitely be purchasing a new UVB hopefully today, I would like to get a t5 so I can put it outside the tank. Any suggestions on a fixture for the t5? His appetite might have been off because now his tail is starting to finally shed. It’s been days since he finished his body and it came off just fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Shedding will or can cause appetite loss but at least hes eating -- as well relocation stress but you definitely want a real good UVB and basking temps--- I would get a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia fixture -- you will need a 24" fixture you can order these on line I am using Zoo Meds and they seem to be pretty good - I have not priced out the Sunblasters or the Arcadias --
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24"
this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" which they are out of stock but you should be able to find it or you can try here
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood 24"
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs 22'
Looks like petmountain is cheaper than pangea --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom