New Enclosure - Seeking Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I will get something posted to use for hanging- you can get it from home depot it works good

Hossinn

Original Poster
The representative at Carolina Customs advised that my LEDs are not as hot as Halogens. Perhaps that is what I need...?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You should have a bright white basking bulb like a Exo Terra - LEDs do not give off heat- not does the UVB bulb--- are you using a LED for a basking bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is trial and error w/ basking bulbs -- just make sure your getting a temp after the bulb has time to heat up a good hour --- you do not want to burn your dragon up

Hossinn

Original Poster
Well, using Halogens definitely fixed my problem.

- 2 x 75W = 155 degrees
- 2 x 50W = 125 degrees infrared gun - 145 degrees probe
- 1 x 50W = 100 degrees infrared gun -115 degrees probe

*I'm not sure why the probe and infrared are so far apart. How to know which is accurate?
*What's max temp a juvenile can handle before burning up? I don't want to get to that point of course, but I'm not sure I can rely on my tools.
*I've ordered 25W bulbs, so I can dial it in with more precision.

Do I have the decor turned the right way, or do I still need to flip it?

110754-4145012349.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your temps are way TOO HOT --- you dont want temps above 110- you only need ONE basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby -- the temps you have going your going to fry the dragon -- take the piece of under the lamp lay the stick that sticking in the air on the floor of tank have the big thick trunk under the lamp --- please start out w/ a 100 watt lamp get temp AFTER you have layed the stick part on the floor and trunk piece under the lamp
USE the digital probe to get the basking temp it is the MOST accurate

SPandS

Juvie Member
Go with the probe reading, infrared thermometers can be off if the emissivity isn't set correctly.

Hossinn

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1wfqwiby said:
Your temps are way TOO HOT --- you dont want temps above 110- you only need ONE basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby -- the temps you have going your going to fry the dragon -- take the piece of under the lamp lay the stick that sticking in the air on the floor of tank have the big thick trunk under the lamp --- please start out w/ a 100 watt lamp get temp AFTER you have layed the stick part on the floor and trunk piece under the lamp
USE the digital probe to get the basking temp it is the MOST accurate

To be clear, because I know you care deeply about all the mistreated dragons in the world, I KNOW those temps are way too hot. I just wanted to show you where the temps were as I was experimenting with different bulbs. I don't own a dragon yet, so I can still do these tests :)

I thought the infrared gun was more accurate. Sounds like the Zoo Med probe is the most accurate device, of the two.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes it is the most accurate- so start by getting the decor piece situated the test your temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom