Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about supplements.. don't wanna really over/under do things for my new beardie.. picked him up on Saturday. used the search function.. but seemed to be a mixed bag of answers.

He's housed in a 36x18x18 exo-terra. I have a T5 Reptisun 10.0 HO Tube mounted inside the tank via the screen top and zip ties. I got my measuring tape out and It's about 8-10" away from the highest point the dragon can bask at..

I'm using Rep-Cal Calcium w/ Vitamin D3 and Herptivite. I been able to attempt 2 live feeding sessions a day since I'm using crickets and work first shift, so he ain't really ready for breakfast by the time I leave.. and only tends to eat 3-5 in the afternoon.. not the 50-100 I've read everywhere. I have 400 small dubias coming though so I can leave them out alongside his greens while I'm gone at work.

Given the UVB I'm using.. should I be dusting with Calcium w/ D3 5 days a week and Herptivite the other 2? Or should I be doing w/ D3 for 3 days.. without 2 days.?

also this is probably a stupid question.. but with the Dubias will they move around in the bowl to at least catch the dragons attention?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For now dust w/ with Calcium D3 5 days a week and Herptivite the other 2-- And yes the small dubias will move around in the bowl --- I would try and feed him salad before you go w/ some BSFL on top of his salads the movement will get him to the bowl feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder and a nice compliment to the dubias -- you can leave those in the bowl till you get home then feed him the dubias - he should eat around 10-15 dubias per feeding but you must feed those 2-3 hrs before lights off --- you want basking time so he can start digestion - you can get him some small super worms to add to those salads use like 1-3 of them -- but you want him eating his salads as well -
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
www.symtonbsf.com do not dust these and order large they are small --

EaglesFan86

Original Poster
Thanks.. that was my plan.. 5 calcium w D3/2 herptivite. Just wasn't sure when I got into reading about it more.. currently the light cycle is 5am-7pm.. which gives him about 60-90 minutes to wake up/warm up before I try to feed before work but he hasn't taken to the crickets in the AM. I'm really looking forward to the Dubias.. crickets are a pain in the butt. Once I get him to take to the Dubias, I'll probably adjust the light cycle to something more reasonable like 6a-8p or 7a-9pm since I won't have to be messing with crickets and dubias can stay in the tank.

I been leaving fresh greens (collard), yellow squash, carrots, and a little sweet potato and mixed some beardie buffet into it to draw him in. I plan on mixing up the staple greens/veg so It's not just the same thing constantly. I've looked into BSFL, etc at all my local shops but they either ain't got none or they are to big.. next time I put a order in for dubias; I'll have to add those.

I have a note in my phone with a long list of staple greens, veggies, fruits so when I'm at the store I can grab whatever looks fresh. I know he gets into his greens, came home to a messy bowl today that beardie buffet seems to be a hit with this lil guy. I've caught him taking a couple bites of them luckily enough.

Thank you for the reply. I will have to keep an eye out for BSFL and reassuring me my supplement schedule was on point.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Most people order on line the link I sent for BSFL are a good source to get them from -- try there they are a great food for babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom