Is it time to find a vet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

katk

Original Poster
He is only up high basking like that sometimes. Other times he's lower down on that branch or on the branch next to his basking spot. (I'd say he's only up high like that a couple of hours a day.)

He still hasn't moved from his sleep spot and has been just frozen in the cool spot all day. I live in Northern CA so it's hard to tell about time of year- it has actually been quite chilly the past couple of weeks- low 50s to low 60s high.

katk

Original Poster
He is only up high basking like that sometimes. Most of the time he's lower down on that branch or on the branch next to his basking spot. (I'd say he's only up high like that a couple of hours a day max.)

He still hasn't moved from his sleep spot and has been just frozen in the cool spot all day. I live in Northern CA so it's hard to tell about time of year- it has actually been quite chilly the past couple of weeks- low 50s to low 60s high. The basking temps are generally 95-100 whenever I check them so I think the temps are fine. The cool spot has been lower than 80s lately but he usually doesn't go over there, except today.

katk

Original Poster
So, I am beginning to think this might be brumation. Maybe he's older than we thought- I don't trust the guys at the store where we bought him.

He's had his UVB inside his tank for three days and there's been no change. He also hasn't moved from his sleep/cool spot for three days. Our weather the last two weeks has been like our winters- today it's foggy and 55. Here is a pic of him today.
109407-889122514.jpg

Man, this is nerve-wracking!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please take a fecal into the vet for a parasite test-- NO ENEMAS--- call see if you can drop a fecal off and go from there - if hes got parasites that would cause him not to eat but now that the lighting thing is resolved parasite test time --- he looks like hes losing weight which would be parasites and not eating --- www.arav.og

katk

Original Poster
I don't know how to get a fecal if he's not pooping...? Also, how can you tell he's losing weight? (The picture I first posted wasn't really representative- it was a weird angle and he was smushed against his branch..)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Weigh him on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams-- is he eating anything? You can try and get some baby food chkn and some baby food squash in him-- after he poops take it in to the vet--- you can call the vet and tell them you have a fecal sample to drop off to be tested for parasites-- is he getting any water? Dehydration will cause them not to eat as well-- NO ENEMAS if he goes to the vet--- they can end in disaster

katk

Original Poster
He just randomly decided to climb up on his log- not right under the heat lamp but under the UV. Our hornworms finally came today and he ate three from my hand. I'll give him some veggies and keep monitoring him- if he poops I'll see if I can take it to a vet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds good -- the horn worms are a good hydrating worm -- rinse his veggies before serving them and he will get moisture from that if he eats them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom