Beardie Sick or Brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!
So I rescued my first beardie a couple of months ago, my first one in about 10 years. Anyways, I was familiar with the generals...feeding, lighting, temps, baths, enclosure, etc. I know about shedding and knew generally about brumating.
Anyways; the beardie I took in was supposedly 2 years old. They said female but I am positive he's a male. He started shedding literally a month ago. And hes just shedding his tale now. I feel like its taken a week for his legs, a week for his back, a week for his tummy and head, a week for his front legs, and then now hes shedding his tale. He's been extremely cuddly but grouchy in his enclosure. I know you're supposed to avoid holding them- but he really is a different beardie when hes out and cuddling on me. His temps are 100-105 in the hot side and around 76 in the cool side. He has greens everyday, and he eats horn worms, silks, and supers (he refuses crickets). I bath him every other day since shedding started. He was VERY malnourished when he came here...over ate all the time trying to just have food. (my fault i felt bad for him)
HOWEVER- the last 4 days, hes been under his hide, and sleeping constanltly- day and night. He will eat if I offer it. Won't come out for his salads, but I will hold bugs in under his hide and he will take them. Won't bask. I don't know if hes sick or brumating? I am in Canada- and its April and about 16 degrees...I wasn't sure if not is brumating time? Before the last couple of days, he also hid when temps reached over 100- and would only seem to bask between 93-97 degrees. I am out of ideas...
I dont have a herp vet close to me... I wasn't sure if anyone had any ideas?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The basking temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer - I would get your cool side up to around 80 during the day -- older dragons do not like real hot temps - so 95-100 would be good - the UVB what are you using a coil? or a tube fixture? where in the tank is it? these two things are the two most important things in the tank -- he will go thru relocation stress so his eating may be off but at least hes eating --- was he eating salads when he came to you or just stopped eating salads all together now? your UVB and basking temps have everything to do w/ his eating -- middle of your tank should be in the 90's -- they all brumate at different times and it could be just that but we need to figure out if its not the lighting causing the behavior

mamabeardie94

Original Poster
So, I have two UVB lights - one on the right side of the tank is the heat and uvb from petsmart, it is the main heat source which gets it high... it was $70 so I assumed it was good, and then I do have a coil UVB light as well towards the middle of the tank. Finances have been tight but I realize I need to invest in a tube UVB i just hoped he would be fine in the mean time? He is picky- eats his salad when he wants to... not every day. But better than when I got him. If it was the lights, would it make sense that he gets better and then regresses? Some days he is fine some not... when hes out of the tank hes completely normal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The heat and UVB is a what brand and bulb wattage please -- I am guessing its a MVB --- the coil please get rid of it --- they are NO good- they cause too many health issues - the MVB has certain distances and placement they need to be --- and its good your planning to get a long tube fixture for a UVB - once I found out what your using for the MVB I can better assist you--- dragons hide their illnesses until it is too late or hanging in their by a thread --- coils are bad news for out put of UVB and that can cause all kinds of illness and lead to death --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The Solar Glo is a ok bulb but I think the Power Sun and Mega Ray are better however w/ that being said the Solar Glo needs to be raised I am thinking w/ out seeing where you have it to get the temp down - your probably going to need a stand from Pet Smart to raise it and the distance should be 14-16 inches for the 160 watt -- the next thing I would recommend since its coming thru a screen the UVB is going to be low --- so I would get another long tube fixture in the tank to make up for those rays being lost - it is up to you if you go w/ a 18" fixture which is a T 8 and has to go inside the tank for sure w/ a basking distance of 6-8 inches NO cover over the bulb and directly over the basking decor piece or a 24" fixture w/a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece --- both bulbs I recommend are Reptisuns 10.0's T 5 for the longer fixure and T 8 for the shorter fixture -- it is up to you but I would look at getting your temps down and the UVB set up -- this will make a difference in his behavior -- also what is the screen on your tank? Is it like a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type ?

mamabeardie94

Original Poster
Okay, thanks. I will definitely be changing things up as soon as I am able. He ate, and had a bath and is now basking in the window, out of his enclosure. He seems ok! He woke up on his own and came out after eating and is just chilling now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its good hes out but the window is filtering the UVB rays -- so hes not getting much there but scenery- if you took him outside in direct sun that would be really good :)

mamabeardie94

Original Poster
I will as soon as the weather is nice enough! It snowed again today...and there is not sun. Much too cold for him to be outside. Anyways; I upgraded his tank yesterday... its much nicer. I spoke with my local reptile store, and purchased the mega-ray 100 watt bulb. He said it was the best for what I needed? What I should have asked is whether that is sufficient enough? Like does he only need that one bulb now as long as the temps are good in there? He is out basking under it right now and seems happy- doing beard stretches and is flat like a pancake. Hopefully this helps him and he is happy!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The Mega Ray is a good bulb distance should be 12" inches and NO screen -- it should be unobstructed for best UVB-- the screen is going to filter out 30% of the rays so you want no screen -- I would look into getting a lamp stand like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/light-fixtures/zoo-med-reptile-lamp-stand-14886.html
or you can get a long tube fixture for UVB -- a Zoo Med either the T 8 or a T 5 fixture --- depending on the screen wide hole type or fine mesh like a screen door the T 5 can sit on top --- the T 8 would need to go inside the tank its not strong enough to go thru the screen -- also w/ you moving the MVB its going to mess w / your temps and the UVB -- if your temps is too high for the 12" you will need to move it up and that will effect the amount of UVB hes getting --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom