Large hideaway for Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Ranger has grown to a whopping 22inches long. He lives in a 50 gallon tank. Due to space restrictions he must make due with what he has.
But anyways pay no attention to the veggie crisps in the bowl here's his boring setup.
92959-4286300698.jpg

Yes very boring. We use contact paper flooring it makes cleanup a breeze. I've cover the walls with color paper to keep him from attacking his own reflection. But whats been bothersome to him more than anything is I've noticed he doesn't fit in that hideaway rock anymore. He will try to tuck in and his head is out or his butt is out. Also the rock is very low. Hes not the greatest climber. He had a climbing thing in his younger days but fell off of it constantly. Hes much bigger now and I worry if he takes a tumble he could really hurt himself.

But as you can see he needs SOMETHING.
He seems to be ok living a minimalist life but he needs more than just 3 colored walls, a rock, and food/water dishes.
92959-2759016170.jpg

Suggestions??? Anything to make his 50 gallon tank more interesting.
Because as you can see its as big as we can go.
92959-4513056539.jpg
Literally suck between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks in advance.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The tank dimensions are LxWxH 36x18x16 so now I'm thinking its only a 40 gallon tank. ??

I wish he had more space but there is none to be had in this studio. So we gotta do what we gotta do.

On the plus side he is able to turn around with ease and sprawl out.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
If I was to get a new tank the largest I could go to fit the space would be 37x21x18
I cant go the full 48. Do they even make 37x21 tanks??? ??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are you in the states? Ranger needs more climbing decor and a hide for sure --- the UVB on top of the tank is a T 5 or a T 8 bulb?

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The UVB light is exo terra 100 PT2187 26w

His basking lamp is a flukers 100w

Its currently 80f of the cold side and 100f on the hot side.

Yeah I'm a Floridian.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Rangers UVB is a coil -- it should be 6-8 inches unobstructed and I would change it out for the Repitsun 26 watt--
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
this bulb needs to be changed out every 6 months I recommend 5
Are you looking to put a tank in the same space its in now or do you have room for a dresser maybe a tall one or a stand? If so you can look at your used furniture stores or on Craigslist or FB Marketplace for a bigger tank and stand--- I picked up a dresser at a used furniture store for $40 w/ drawers that I keep all the dragons stuff in
Decor please look at PetSmart -- they have great dragon decor for basking hides etc----- they are easy to keep clean --
You gave measurements of a 60 gallon and yes they make 60 gallon tanks but it would be optimal to get one w/ front doors--

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I have 3 dressers in my room. The one hes currently in is the largest. Its also the only one that we had to literally knock two walls down to put in here. Its a one piece solid entertainment center that my sister "Just had to have" now its the biggest thing in this room and takes up almost the entire room besides the bed. So thats what hes got. ????

And as for his bulb it recently died so thats his current replacement. His last one was a long tube light but the store was out and the guy said this one would be good.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is why he's done so good those bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months for a T 8 every year for a T 5- I recommend you go back to the long tube ASAP- the coils we do not recommend- they cause too many health issues especially the ones w/ CFL- please replace w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 or T 5 depending on height of your tank--- if you tell me the height of your tank I can tell you which bulb to get- I don't know what to tell you about the tank issue - all I know is he has outgrown that tank-- I would take out the big water dish if he does not use it--- it's just taking up floor space and he needs that

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He likes to sit in it. Hes weird like that. He will go over and sit in it and blow bubbles. But I could remove it when hes not using it. The tank is 16inches tall.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so a 16" tank you would need the T 8-- please get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8- the T 8 will need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- I can post thing to hang it for you if you need them--
do you plan to get a bigger tank - he has really out grown that tank and I would remove the water bowl- blowing bubbles does not sound good-- do you get him out of the tank? I would as much as possible w/ the small space he has-

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I really can't get a bigger tank. I have no place to put it. Ive measured EVERYTHING in this house. And there's just no place for a 4ft tank. ??

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":16o4m5b6 said:
Ok so a 16" tank you would need the T 8-- please get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8- the T 8 will need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- I can post thing to hang it for you if you need them--
do you plan to get a bigger tank - he has really out grown that tank and I would remove the water bowl- blowing bubbles does not sound good-- do you get him out of the tank? I would as much as possible w/ the small space he has-

Thats a long florescent tube. I only have the hood for the compact. It has double fixtures. What if I bought 2 of the UVB compact tube lights?? Would that be ok?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No- they are no good-- please invest in the long tube fixture-- you can get a zoo med from Petco or PetSmart and the bulb Reptisun 10.0 T 8-- it would need to go inside the tank or you can have it sit width wise across the tank basking side- it HAS to be unobstructed for the best UVB rays-- the coil is NO good in that 40 gallon tank - they are terrible UVB's---- do not get a zilla they are not very good either-- I would start getting ranger out of his tank every day-

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so he has a florescent tube light. I went to the Reptile bazaar (its a reptile store only) I told him what I had and directed me too what I needed. ?

Now that the light conversation has been established. Lets get back to my original post topic.
I removed his water dish. He has space to wander. I'll need to invest in a leash because the cats tried to eat him and then he tried to jump off a chair. He's rather untrustworthy..... The entire lot.

So you recommend a good leash?
And would an XL habba hut fit in here???
Has also regained his appetite. I switched over to that can o silkworms... I've never seen him so... Food aggressive. He stabbed himself in the mouth with the tweezers ????????and then he actually bit me because I smelled like the damn bugs. Lol its ok though. We are both fine. It scared me more than it actually hurt. Lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As far as leashes I am not sure what to tell you to get but the cat thing is NO good -- your gonna need to lock the cats up in a room and let him out or you may end up w/ a seriously hurt or dead dragon- try etsy they have a lot of bearded dragon stuff https://www.etsy.com/listing/255265164/reptile-bearded-dragon-lizard-leash-not?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_d-pet_supplies-pet_collars_and_leashes-pet_leashes&utm_custom1=_k_EAIaIQobChMI3Nakivab8AIVoh-tBh3Obg0bEAQYASABEgIxm_D_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12570713241_119931976936_507344323668_pla-355268820615_c__255265164_385090430&utm_custom2=12570713241&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3Nakivab8AIVoh-tBh3Obg0bEAQYASABEgIxm_D_BwE
as far as the habba hut I do not recommend them they are too hard to keep clean - your tank is pretty small I would go look at pet smart or petco so you can see the hides in person - or look here
https://www.etsy.com/market/bearded_dragon_hides
Now the UVB you got what is it? I need to know so we can get it properly placed for him brand and bulb please ? T 5 or a T 8 bulb it will tell you on the box or on the bulb itself --- this is crucial the bulbs have different placement and distance for best UVB
you can get live silk worms from here www.reptilianarts.com cupped come w/ food - bulk like 50 do not and they are small so you can grow them out you will need to order food for them
I have been ordering super worms from https://flukerfarms.com/crickets-live-feeder-insects/ you can get horn worms and some BSFL they are really small so order large do not dust them - the horn worms grow really fast so order small amounts they are a good hydrating worm -- super worms come in a long tube you will need a plastic container w/ a lid w/ holes order bran to feed them and carrots for hydration --- they keep a long time and are a great treat worm for him - you can feed like 3 2-3 times per week ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom