Upgrading enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retrojohn92

I got my beardie last year and he outgrew his enclosure. I heard the new standard is a 120gallon tank for adults. 40gallon tanks are about as much as i can pick up by myself. So I got a completely closed up screen puppy kennel. It's an octagon with a 4ft diameter and is 2ft high. Each wall has about a third of it as a screen except the door and the top is screen. He loves the space but I'd love some advice to allow him to take full advantage of it and some advice for the lighting. I normally keep my place in the low 70s if that helps

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post a pic of the enclosure-- what are you using for UVB and basking bulbs now- what are your temps? If its a lot of screen I dont know how your going to keep temps to what they need to be-- those two things are the most important things in the tank / enclosure- did you try FB marketplace and Craigslist for tanks?

SPandS

Juvie Member
If it's what I think it is I actually use them to bring my beardies outside. I agree it could be challenging to get and keep the proper temps throughout. The 120 gallons are definitely large and more of a 2 person item to move but there are a couple brands that come in pieces and you put together yourself. So if you have the spot ready you won't have to move it. If you prefer the 40 gal they can work you just have to make sure your dragon gets plenty of time out if the tank to run around.

Retrojohn92

Original Poster
Still learning how to do things on this. But it is a cheaper pop out kennel and the ambient temp is around 80 and I'd like to bump it up a few degrees by adding maybe 2 more basking areas for him and then a night light for heat when those are off

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please take a pic of the enclosure --please No colored bulbs for heat- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage--- and will keep him up all nite--- they have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators- you need 3 temps in the tank basking temps 95-110 for a juvenile/ adult babies 105-110-- middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's-- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- a long tube fixture for a UVB either a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb both are very good--- NO coils!!
I have a Zen tank and it is really light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom