Stress after coming out of tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last two times I have allowed my dragon to safely free-roam the house (after blocking under the fridge/stove, closing doors, etc.) She has gone in one of her hides. The first time I had her out for about 30 mins and she wandered over to a window door wall. She didn't move much but I brought her in when she sat in the same spot for awhile and got cold by the drafty window. She went into her hide and stayed there for a couple hours. Now yesterday I brought her out and sat her in the middle of the living room when she remained frozen for about 10 minutes with a darkish beard. I placed her then by that window again on a soft towel to help her keep warmer. She stayed for around 20 minutes, then snuck off behind the couch. I removed her and brought her up onto the couch on my chest and she walked off of me immediately, and then a few minutes later back onto the floor. Then she found a shoe rack to crawl under. By this time she was pretty cold to the touch and had been out for close to an hour, so I set her against my chest to warm her up for a few minutes and carried her back to her enclosure. Then I set her on her basking hammock and closed up the tank. For about ten minutes she stayed on the basking area, then climbed underneath her hammock (which kind of functions as a second hide. This happened at 7pm.

This morning she was still there. I turned all of her lights on and three hours later she's still there.
110867-963425874.jpg
Looking like this.

So, I take it this means she really didn't like it and got stressed out? There were no animals, or children by her. I actually even backed way off myself to the other side of the room, hoping she would just have fun and explore. Was this normal the first times you let your dragons safely free-roam?
I'd let her roam in the room her tank is in, which is in my bedroom, but I don't want her climbing under my bed because I have boxes there and wouldn't want to accidentally crush her if she goes under there and I have to try to find her.
Also when she's hiding so long like this, do I just let her keep hiding all day, it's now 10:30 am?
She typically comes out and gets handled three to four times a week, which Includes being held in the room her tank is kept in, or the bathroom when she gets a bath. So she's used to being handled, but was the big open house just too much for her? Her leash is coming in today and I've been so excited to take her outside, but if the inside of the home is too much for her how is she going to handle going outside...? Lastly she does remain completely still in the bathtub too. She never flared her beard or gets black beard tho. Does freezing indicate stress as well? I should add that she's not a hider, she has only his during the day those two times I have mentioned, over the last 4.5 months.
Thanks for taking the time to read all of that. This is my first dragon and I'm just trying to figure them out so she'll be happy and healthy!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The behavior of hiding in a cozy spot after being out for a bit is fairly common. She may be a bit stressed but doesn't sound like too much. Since she isn't roaming around much she may just be tired or not interested for now. This can certainly change over the course of the year/seasons. If she's not interested in being out for now, don't force it. But don't give up altogether. Try again in a few weeks and see how she responds then.

Evergrowingfamily

Original Poster
Thanks! One other thing I was wondering is whether staying frozen in the same spot is an indication that the dragon is in a fight or flight response and choosing to freeze as a defense, or if it's rather that the dragon is just chilling out and/or relaxed? Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not necessarily a sign of a problem or panic. Their fight response tends to be showing a dark black beard and/or beard flaring and mouth opening. Their flight response tends to be to dart off VERY quickly (They are incredibly fast when they need to be). I see this when they are outdoors and catch a glimpse of something overhead like a hawk or a helicopter. Staying put often means content or just not curious about the surroundings at the moment, though I suppose it can mean something different to each of them to an extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom