Is this a prolapse??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie01

110934-1609485690.jpg

My 6 month old Beardie (Winston) has been straining to poo for the past 4/5 days, and each time he has gone to the toilet there is a purple/red thing bulging from his vent (see image). It only hangs out slightly for a few seconds after he has pooped before retracting back in, but he has been quite stressed out the past couple days with a black beard.

I don't know if this is going to continue happening until it fully prolapses and fails to retract, or whether a vet can do anything whilst it is still inside. If it is a cloacal prolapse, I'm not sure what the cause of it is. I don't think he is impacted, as he's been able to poo every day for the last two weeks, but he has been straining a little recently. I also don't think he is dehydrated, his urates have never been dry/hard. I'd appreciate some advice, thanks.

Vivarium:
4ft x 2ft x 2ft wooden
UVB Tube - ExoTerra UVB200 T8 Tube covering 3/4 of the enclosure
Basking Bulb - Exo Terra Sun Glo Basking Lamp 150W
Hot spot around 42/43°C (107-109°F)
Cool side around 27°C (80°F)
Substrate - Ceramic tile

Diet:
Has calcium supplements 4/5x per week and multivitamin 1/2x per week
Eats a small salad every day mainly consisting of Collard Greens, Escarole or Friseé and small amounts of Rocket, Coriander, Kale etc.
Eats dubia roaches, locusts, sometimes red runner roaches, occasional mini mealworm treat or occasional wax worm

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok thank you--- so I am thinking yes that looks like a prolapse so I am going to have either Tracie or AHBD help you w/ this --- I will flag the post to them -- next please get your UVB in a fixture / hood w/ a reflector--- and I would move it off the back wall and place it directly over him - but you MUST get a reflector --- they project the UVB rays downward and intensify the rays of which this is what you want --- it is extremely important that they have the strength of the rays -- what bulb are you using a T 5 or a T 8? this is important as the two bulbs have different distances they need to be

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ollie01":1hbfpoil said:
110934-1609485690.jpg

My 6 month old Beardie (Winston) has been straining to poo for the past 4/5 days, and each time he has gone to the toilet there is a purple/red thing bulging from his vent (see image). It only hangs out slightly for a few seconds after he has pooped before retracting back in, but he has been quite stressed out the past couple days with a black beard.

I don't know if this is going to continue happening until it fully prolapses and fails to retract, or whether a vet can do anything whilst it is still inside. If it is a cloacal prolapse, I'm not sure what the cause of it is. I don't think he is impacted, as he's been able to poo every day for the last two weeks, but he has been straining a little recently. I also don't think he is dehydrated, his urates have never been dry/hard. I'd appreciate some advice, thanks.

Vivarium:
4ft x 2ft x 2ft wooden
UVB Tube - ExoTerra UVB200 Tube covering 3/4 of the enclosure
Basking Bulb - Exo Terra Sun Glo Basking Lamp 150W
Hot spot around 42/43°C (107-109°F)
Cool side around 27°C (80°F)
Substrate - Ceramic tile

Diet:
Has calcium supplements 4/5x per week and multivitamin 1/2x per week
Eats a small salad every day mainly consisting of Collard Greens, Escarole or Friseé and small amounts of Rocket, Coriander, Kale etc.
Eats dubia roaches, locusts, sometimes red runner roaches, occasional mini mealworm treat or occasional wax worm

No , if the vent retracts ( can take a few minutes if it's delivered a some big nuggets of motherload ) = not a prolapse.

YOU WILL KNOW A PROLAPSE FOR CERTAIN WHEN YOU SEE IT.
So YOU will know ( warning nasty images so brace yourself ) here is what bearded dragon rectal prolapses REALLY look like : https://www.google.com.au/search?sxsrf=ALeKk006j850wDYw2ahD3kWwJ42oUx-tPw:1618321386633&tbm=isch&q=bearded+dragon+rectal+prolapse&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijrof7rPvvAhXsyjgGHRU8B2gQ7AkoAXoECA0QCg&biw=1702&bih=881

Ollie01

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1tdi5xnv said:
Ok thank you--- so I am thinking yes that looks like a prolapse so I am going to have either Tracie or AHBD help you w/ this --- I will flag the post to them -- next please get your UVB in a fixture / hood w/ a reflector--- and I would move it off the back wall and place it directly over him - but you MUST get a reflector --- they project the UVB rays downward and intensify the rays of which this is what you want --- it is extremely important that they have the strength of the rays -- what bulb are you using a T 5 or a T 8? this is important as the two bulbs have different distances they need to be

By fixture w/ reflector, would something like this be okay. It's a T5 with reflector by Arcadia. (I'm in the UK so I won't be able to get all the same products as in the US)

110934-2132380912.jpg
110934-8210749388.jpg

Ollie01

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2j94hdej said:
No , if the vent retracts ( can take a few minutes if it's delivered a some big nuggets of motherload ) = not a prolapse.

So YOU will know ( warning nasty images so brace yourself ) here is what bearded dragon rectal prolapses REALLY look like : https://www.google.com.au/search?sxsrf=ALeKk006j850wDYw2ahD3kWwJ42oUx-tPw:1618321386633&tbm=isch&q=bearded+dragon+rectal+prolapse&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijrof7rPvvAhXsyjgGHRU8B2gQ7AkoAXoECA0QCg&biw=1702&bih=881

Okay, but it seems like the insides of the vent are hanging out a lot more than I would expect. Do you think it's likely to become a full on prolapse that doesn't retract? Because that's what I'm worried about.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is good-- I would get a 24" fixture -- and I would do this ASAP

Ollie01

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ic9g0ej said:
The UVB is good-- I would get a 24" fixture -- and I would do this ASAP

Is that not too small? I thought the UVB needed to cover most of the length of the enclosure? Would the 34" one be too big?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can get the 34" if you want --- they say 2/3rds of the tank --- I am using a 24 " which is half in my 4x2x2 tank and it works fine- you dont want too much covering the tank - they need to be able to get out of the UVB rays w/ out having to hide from the UVB-- so its up to you ---

Ollie01

Original Poster
KarrieRee":37g4hnbl said:
You can get the 34" if you want --- they say 2/3rds of the tank --- I am using a 24 " which is half in my 4x2x2 tank and it works fine- you dont want too much covering the tank - they need to be able to get out of the UVB rays w/ out having to hide from the UVB-- so its up to you ---

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thank you. I've ordered the 24".

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ollie01":3mvzphob said:
kingofnobbys":3mvzphob said:

Okay, but it seems like the insides of the vent are hanging out a lot more than I would expect. Do you think it's likely to become a full on prolapse that doesn't retract? Because that's what I'm worried about.

Need a photo from under the dragon showing the situation with it's vent .
Try soaking the dragon's cloaca in a warm bath with some sugar added or apply some honey directly , this sometimes rectifies the situation.
BUT BEWARE :
Cloacal prolapse is a serious (and can be life threatening) condition for a reptile.
screenshot-185.png

If you think this is what is happening , I STRONGLY ADVISE AN URGENT TRIP for the dragon to nearest reptile vet for assessment and treatment.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It doesn't look too bad so hopefully it wont completely come out next time. He might be a bit
low in his calcium reserves which can contribute to weak Gi tract muscles.
The Reptiglo is not too bad of a light but the Arcadia D3 12% T5 is really nice & stronger bulb. I
also recommend mounting the tube bulb directly overhead so that the UVB light is more effectively
shining down on your dragon.
Are the urates hard or soft?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Ollie01

Original Poster
Drache613":2m2iwxz2 said:
Are the urates hard or soft?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

His urates have always been soft, but that suprises me that he's never been dehydrated because he rarely drinks water from a bowl, the bath, a dropper or being misted. Although I suppose he must be getting enough water from his food (I do mist his salads on occasion).

If the problem is low calcium, would giving him more D3 be a good idea at least in the short term? I have a calcium w/ D3 supplement, so I could use that to dust his food a little more often with rather than just calcium for this week.

I'll keep you updated with how he's doing. Hopefully it's not too serious. Thanks for the help and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom