A few issues - possible stuck shed / rotting. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

katerina

Hello, my Bearded Dragon Wafer has a few issues that I believe need addressing. I have had him for about a year and he is my first ever reptile. In the past 2 months he has had 2 small spots on his arm that look bad. At first, I thought they came from falling on a fake succulent (which I promptly removed from his terrarium) but they have not healed. They don't hurt him when I touch him, he walks on it fine, and nothing comes off when I bathe him. I have attached pictures below. I've looked up rot, bites, fungus, etc. but nothing seems to match. He has shed the skin a few times but it remains. I have also included his care below.

The other issue he might have is stuck shed, but I'm also not sure. A few spots on his body look like stuck shed, but no amount of warm baths seems to change it. Like the other spots, it does not hurt him when I touch it. I've also attached pictures for that.

Diet: Kale and Collard regularly, about 6 days a week. Dubias (about 3/4 dusted in Repashy Superfood Calcium Plus and the other 1/4 dusted in Zoo Med's Reptivite Vitamins with D3.) He is fed with tongs and eats once a day, with almost constant access to his greens. For water, he has a small dish that he can drink from and I use a spray bottle to give him droplets of water on his nose that he licks up. I give him hornworms for treats every now and then (about every other day).
Terrarium: He has an ExoTerra Large/Low with Repticarpet on the bottom that I try to clean and switch out about once a week. His basking spot is an ExoTerra hanging rocks that he gets to using a Reptile Hammock. The spot gets around 105 degrees F and that side of the terrarium is about 80 degrees F during the day, while the opposite side is about 75. He basks often and sleeps on his hammock. He also has a fake log for decoration/climbing. At night my room ranges from 62 to 70 degrees. I pick up his waste whenever I see it. Finally, his UVB bulb was changed about 2 months ago.
Behavior: Wafer sleeps from 8pm to 8 am. He runs around whenever I'm home and I get him out for about 30 minutes to an hour a day. When out, he loves to climb and explore.
Other: He has a genetic disability where the bones in his front 2 arms are deformed. The vet has confirmed that this is a disability and not a calcium deficiency. At his last vet visit (~10 months ago) he had good vitamin levels.

rYdpDC6

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get some raw unpasteurized honey on the arm like Manuka --- do not leave any crickets in the tank if you feed them they will go straight to the honey and you do not want that - the honey is a antibacterial that will promote healing -- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store - its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 and it will save time and money on that issue - can you post more pics of the shed in question please --

Gail

BD.org Addict
The sores on his arms look like it could be scale rot or infected wounds. He needs a vet before it gets worse or gets into the blood.
The spot on his head is a little concerning too. There is a pinkish tint that seems to be under the scales and I worry is could worsen.

The belly just appears to be from a uneven shedding pattern. It should shed in time, don't try to force it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that a vet visit is probably warranted. You'll want to get the open wounds treated asap and I'd probably have some of the damaged skin checked out for infection. The belly doesn't look too bad to me, but as mentioned the arms and the area on the side of his head are concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom