UPDATE 4/13 Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

UPDATE 4/13 Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby Pickedgarbage » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:52 pm

Hello, I recused an adult bearded dragon from a neglected home about a month ago.
He was fed 10-15 mealworms a day, without multivitamins or vegetables in his diet.
When I got him his stools were normal, I started easing him into vegetables with just a few pieces of collard greens, and turnip greens with his mealworms. (I didn’t want to upset his stomach by the drastic diet change, I know mealies aren’t so good for them, but it’s what he’s used to)
It’s been about a month and I’ve noticed him having frequent diarrhea, every couple days when he goes it’s a liquidy mess with some texture in it (I’m assuming from the greens)
I’ve tried lowering his diet from 100% mealworms to 75% and down to 50% of his meal a day to bugs, but his belly seems to be upset no matter what I do. He’s getting better with eating, before he didn’t understand that veggies were food, he only tong feeds as well, he’s afraid of bowls(?) and doesn’t understand them.
Does anybody have some tips on how to help?
He has proper UVB set up (Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5HO) and hot spot regulation (103-108) as well.
I have Dubias, hornworms, and shoulder fly larve coming in the mail soon (they’ve been ordered for weeks but the company is having issues with the postal service) do you think that could make a difference?


******UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE********
HELLO! An update from 4/13!
I found the KEY thing to add to his diet! FREEZE DRIED GRASSHOPPERS!!! He eats a few a day with his salad, and there’s been no runny poos for almost two months! :-)
We named him Iroh! He is getting used to his greens and has finally learned how to bask. We’re TWO SHEDS IN as well!
Last edited by Pickedgarbage on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jordi
Pickedgarbage
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:54 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:24 am

Please tell me where your UVB is? The screen on your tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole screen? The horn worms are a hydrating worm and can make it more liquidy -- I am thinking its the diet change too - I would ditch the meal worms all together for now and start feeding the BSFL your going to need a lot if they are going to be a staple feeder - I would get some dubia roaches - I under stand the difficulties getting the insects now - try www.dubiaroaches.com but I did hear they are backed up w/ orders you can also try www.reptilianarts.com -- last I heard they had a Embargo on insects w/ the USPS -- I am assuming the weather -- and the Texas mess seems to be effecting everyone --- w/ the weather warming back up now I would think things will start moving again -- I ordered from www.mulberryfarms.com last week and they had some of their orders they shipped out returned to them so they had to relabel the orders w/ out the LIVE INSECTS on the box so they would go thru-- I have all my orders held at the post office in the winter and go and pick them up when they come in
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14949
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:11 am

Since he is an adult it's good that you are trying to focus on veges. It's quite likely the dietary change is causing some issues, but once he starts adjusting to his new diet (it may take quite some time) then he should be able to digest it properly after a while. Perhaps a sudden change was too much and it would be better to ease into it over 6 months or so, adding a bit more veges to his overall diet each week.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 27358
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby Pickedgarbage » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Please tell me where your UVB is? The screen on your tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole screen? The horn worms are a hydrating worm and can make it more liquidy -- I am thinking its the diet change too - I would ditch the meal worms all together for now and start feeding the BSFL your going to need a lot if they are going to be a staple feeder - I would get some dubia roaches - I under stand the difficulties getting the insects now - try http://www.dubiaroaches.com but I did hear they are backed up w/ orders you can also try http://www.reptilianarts.com -- last I heard they had a Embargo on insects w/ the USPS -- I am assuming the weather -- and the Texas mess seems to be effecting everyone --- w/ the weather warming back up now I would think things will start moving again -- I ordered from http://www.mulberryfarms.com last week and they had some of their orders they shipped out returned to them so they had to relabel the orders w/ out the LIVE INSECTS on the box so they would go thru-- I have all my orders held at the post office in the winter and go and pick them up when they come in


UVB Is located in the tank! It’s hanging over 3/4 of his tank. Funny you bring them up, I actually ordered from Dubia roaches! I’ll try checking the other websites, thank you so much for the suggestions! Do you think maybe a diet of 1/2 medium dubias, 1/4 BSFL, and 1/4 vegetables for now? I’m trying to work on the ratios of foods for him. :-)
-Jordi
Pickedgarbage
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:54 pm

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby Pickedgarbage » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:27 pm

CooperDragon wrote:Since he is an adult it's good that you are trying to focus on veges. It's quite likely the dietary change is causing some issues, but once he starts adjusting to his new diet (it may take quite some time) then he should be able to digest it properly after a while. Perhaps a sudden change was too much and it would be better to ease into it over 6 months or so, adding a bit more veges to his overall diet each week.


Thank you! Right now he’s fed about 20 mealworms, about maybe a table spoon of greens, and a few small pieces of squash (if he wants it). I appreciate the feedback, maybe I’ll try only adding greens a few times a week-maybe every other day?
-Jordi
Pickedgarbage
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:54 pm

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:33 pm

Every other day sounds good. The mealworms can be offered much less often and in smaller quantities too. Reducing bugs may also help stimulate appetite for veges. A tablespoon of greens and some small squash pieces isn't a lot of food really. My adult will (not consistently) eat anywhere between about 1/2 cup and 1 cup of salads every day. Keep offering some different options too. He may prefer the taste of some things over others. If you find something he likes the taste of, it may get him more interested. Give him another month or so to settle and if the diarrhea continues (or earlier if he starts to act ill or lethargic) then I'd take a sample to the vet for analysis.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 27358
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Madison, WI
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby Pickedgarbage » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:51 pm

CooperDragon wrote:Every other day sounds good. The mealworms can be offered much less often and in smaller quantities too. Reducing bugs may also help stimulate appetite for veges. A tablespoon of greens and some small squash pieces isn't a lot of food really. My adult will (not consistently) eat anywhere between about 1/2 cup and 1 cup of salads every day. Keep offering some different options too. He may prefer the taste of some things over others. If you find something he likes the taste of, it may get him more interested. Give him another month or so to settle and if the diarrhea continues (or earlier if he starts to act ill or lethargic) then I'd take a sample to the vet for analysis.



It definitely isn’t a lot of food, but it’s a lot more than he was eating a couple weeks ago. I offer him collard greens, squash, mustard greens, carrots, turnip greens, acorn squash, yellow squash, bell pepper, and peas, 3 times a day. He used to turn veggies away but now he’ll eat a couple pieces everytime I offer. I offer him every veg until he eats something, dinner time is when he gets his bugs :-)
I’ll definitely watch out for lethargy or weird behavior! :-)
-Jordi
Pickedgarbage
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:54 pm

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm

OK that sounds like a pretty good variety then. It's good that he is starting to eat more on his own. Hopefully that will continue and he will start to adjust to his new diet.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 27358
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby Pickedgarbage » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:12 pm

Pickedgarbage wrote:Hello, I recused an adult bearded dragon from a neglected home about a month ago.
He was fed 10-15 mealworms a day, without multivitamins or vegetables in his diet.
When I got him his stools were normal, I started easing him into vegetables with just a few pieces of collard greens, and turnip greens with his mealworms. (I didn’t want to upset his stomach by the drastic diet change, I know mealies aren’t so good for them, but it’s what he’s used to)
It’s been about a month and I’ve noticed him having frequent diarrhea, every couple days when he goes it’s a liquidy mess with some texture in it (I’m assuming from the greens)
I’ve tried lowering his diet from 100% mealworms to 75% and down to 50% of his meal a day to bugs, but his belly seems to be upset no matter what I do. He’s getting better with eating, before he didn’t understand that veggies were food, he only tong feeds as well, he’s afraid of bowls(?) and doesn’t understand them.
Does anybody have some tips on how to help?
He has proper UVB set up (Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5HO) and hot spot regulation (103-108) as well.
I have Dubias, hornworms, and shoulder fly larve coming in the mail soon (they’ve been ordered for weeks but the company is having issues with the postal service) do you think that could make a difference?





HELLO! An update from 4/13!
I found the KEY thing to add to his diet! FREEZE DRIED GRASSHOPPERS!!! He eats a few a day with his salad, and there’s been no runny poos for almost two months! :-)
-Jordi
Pickedgarbage
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:54 pm

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:39 pm

Did you get the live insects/ worms in? Did they make a difference? We don't usually recommend freeze dried anything- it really dries them out along w/ poor nutritional value-
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14949
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby Pickedgarbage » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:28 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Did you get the live insects/ worms in? Did they make a difference? We don't usually recommend freeze dried anything- it really dries them out along w/ poor nutritional value-


Sure did! He wasn’t thrilled about any of the new bugs, and they didn’t make quite much difference, I’m feeding him 3-5 dried grasshoppers, 4 super worms, and about. 1/3 cup salad a day. He’s really into squash wish I’d such an amazing change to see! (all food is dusted w/ herptivite multivitamin 4 times a week) I offer him food throughout the day, he still needs to eat in small portions, and still is tong fed. We’ve been trying to transition to bowl fed, but he’s genuinely afraid of bowls, he’s been pretty good at getting bugs on this own off the floor though!
I know freeze dried bugs are the “lettuce” of bugs (basically useless in the nutritional level) but it’s 100% fixed his belly issues, he’s gained weight, and more energetic now :-)
-Jordi
Pickedgarbage
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:54 pm

Re: UPDATE 4/13 Neglected Rescue with diarrhea

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:34 am

That's great to hear!
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 27358
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Madison, WI
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users