Vegetation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
I have been doing a terrible job in providing my bd with a range of nutrition- right now, he gets the same old thing- collards, and bell peppers, that he does not touch-if he does, it is barely- and superworms, 6-10 every other night.

This means that he is not only eating 90% insect at age 18months- but the insect is superworms.

The reason this is, is because when I give him veggies, they go to waste, whether it be peppers, collards, mustards, squash, cucumbers, cactus or whatever- so buying/chopping up and serving a large range would just be wasteful. I can "share" the veggies I get with him to an extent- peppers, greens, lettuces, cucumbers ,etc- but for the things like squash, and cactus, two staples, they go to waste, because I am not a fan.

I get worried that he doesn't ever show interest, no matter what I offer- so I have defaulted to one green, collards or mustards, and one veggie, bell peppers. He is supposed to be eating a SALAD, DAILY, and I am lucky to see him take a single bite of collards.

Today, I did an "experiment"- I chopped up several different things, and put them on separate plates, and set them in his tank. When I went in there, he was bright, with his bright eyes, little orange beard, and no stress marks.
For lettuce/greens, I gave him iceberg and collards; for veggies, I gave him bell peppers and unpeeled (chopped) cucumbers; and for fruit, I gave him strawberries, banana, and blueberries. That was about an hour ago.

Usually, he doesn't do much when I give him vegetables- I am again, lucky if he even goes over, let alone eats a single bite. This time, he almost immediately took several bites of the iceberg, and shortly after, several bites of the cucumber (which is even rarer, because he doesn't eat the "chunks" of veggies, ever, just the greens).

Now, as he always is, he is with his 'hands' on the glass, dark, with stress marks, and 'squinty' eyes. I don't know why he does that- why nothing I do is ever enough to get him to stop that behavior- temp correct, favorite stick basking spot, bright walls- now, giving him veggies has triggered it? I am getting entirely overwhelmed with that behavior- he looks miserable- I feel terrible.

It is great that he showed in interest in veggies, but they were, of course, the "bad" ones- way too much water, a "treat" veggie.
Did he choose those because he is dehydrated?
Is he "addicted" to superworms/bugs?
Is he bored of his food?
And why will he not stop looking out the glass, completely stressed? He doesn't even wall surf, 90% of the time.

I have a zoo med t5 ho 10.0 uvb, 48"- I replaced the bulb last August. Doesn't it last a year? Or is it dead?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes hooked on the super worms----- no more super worms -- you need to get a regular staple feeder dubias crickets BSFL or silk worms -- what have you tried to get him to the salad bowl? Horn worms BSFL silk worms? they all will work to lure him to the bowl ----
The T 5 is not ready to be changed out --- I would change it out in July--

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":16fxx7pr said:
Hes hooked on the super worms----- no more super worms -- you need to get a regular staple feeder dubias crickets BSFL or silk worms -- what have you tried to get him to the salad bowl? Horn worms BSFL silk worms? they all will work to lure him to the bowl ----
The T 5 is not ready to be changed out --- I would change it out in July--

You think he is hooked? I can order some dubia roaches for him.
I have tried in the past to lure him to the salad with bugs, but he just picks them out.
Today, he tried 3x to pick up a little veggie piece with his tongue, failed, and gave up.
He is still running all over the glass, looking out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How are you serving the salad? In a bowl cut up? I cut my collards turnip kale rolled up like a cigar sliced down the middle and then cut- they are in short leaves-- what kind of bugs are you using? Try hand feeding the bugs w/ a green -- yes he is hooked on the supers-

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ov043cj said:
How are you serving the salad? In a bowl cut up? I cut my collards turnip kale rolled up like a cigar sliced down the middle and then cut- they are in short leaves-- what kind of bugs are you using? Try hand feeding the bugs w/ a green -- yes he is hooked on the supers-

I cut them up into small pieces, but not minced.
I ordered dubia today, and plan to try some new greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom