Should i be worried about my Beardie's (lack of) eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Use the website Cooper dragon gave you I thought you were in the states- he could be going thru relocation stress still- but he should be eating more by now-- what's the distance for your uvb now? Basking temps and UVB are the most important things in the tank- if those are up to par and he's losing weight try and find a reptile vet there

Jebediah

Original Poster
He is a couple of inches closer. I will take exact measurements tomorrow.

he has taken to lying quite flat on his basking rock, as opposed to standing up straight under the light, which he used to do. Don't know if that means anything.

Either way, there was one vet on there who i was also recommended personally by a snake owner i know. Will call him...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes that is normal they lay different ways mine does the same w/ his rock -- sometimes hes on it all the way laying flat and sometimes standing against it

Jebediah

Original Poster
Update:

So we finally found a vet that we can trust. He is a snake expert but knows his way around beardies also. He gave us some antibiotics and they seem to have worked straight away. 2 days in and Flame ate 10 big juicy dubias (this after eating almost nothing for a month). Today he did a normal pool as well. He also seems more active than ever, utilizing all his different rocks and logs and varying his proximity to the heat and the UV.

Hopefully the worst is behind us. Tomorrow i am going bug shopping, and will see what i can find to vary his diet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok sounds good did they say what he has? You can shop on line for insects/ worms-- I can post websites if you like

Jebediah

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1m5t4ky1 said:
Ok sounds good did they say what he has? You can shop on line for insects/ worms-- I can post websites if you like

We're not in the US, thanks.

My wife dealt with him and she can't recall exactly. He didn't do any further tests beyond what we already did, so I was a bit dubious, but he was very certain and my wife trusts him and works with him a lot (she is an animal assisted therapist), although we had no idea reptiles were his specialty.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I forgot about the US thing until I read the post again -- I would look on line to see if you can find them there --- dubia roaches BSFL silk worms are all good staple feeders -- well as long as you trust him and your getting good results out of the diagnosis that is good ---

Jebediah

Original Poster
Just a quick note to say that he finishes his round of antibiotics today. I am happy to report that he is doing great. Was up early this morning waiting by his food bowl and gobbled down 10 dubias and 2 worms in a couple of minutes. By far the most he has ever eaten in one sitting. He is far more active in his viv aswell, moving around and taking advantage of all the fun stuff he has. Still not eating any veg, but we will get there eventually. He has noticeably put weight on in the last week.

Thanks so much for all the help. Just knowing that there was someone to assist was a big relief and helped me maintain my sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom