Beardie keeps going on back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melriz

Help!
I have a 7 year old male bearded dragon. He has never had any concerning behaviors... until now. The last 5 days he has fallen onto his back once a day. He is eating and drinking normally, doesn’t seem lethargic and doesn’t appear to have any issues, other than this is an obvious issue. He has a UVB bulb, calcium in his diet. He has been primarily eating a fortified food, but I do give him some greens and bugs also. Is it possible that calcium or uvb is still the issue? I lost my job with pandemic and normally wouldn’t hesitate to take him to vet but at this point seeing how great he’s doing otherwise I assume the hunt to figure out what’s wrong could be pricey. ? He’s currently basking in the sun outside and munching on some herbs and looks SO happy. SAny ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lets go over the UVB-- what are you exactly using? Going on to the back and if its a constant that is not good - I can see if he fell off of a piece of decor but not all the time- that is a neurological issue so we need to know what UVB your using please --

Melriz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ylxw130 said:
Lets go over the UVB-- what are you exactly using? Going on to the back and if its a constant that is not good - I can see if he fell off of a piece of decor but not all the time- that is a neurological issue so we need to know what UVB your using please --

Thank you for responding! I have used a reptisun bulb that was placed about 6 inches from where he basks most of his day. I just realized it has been quite a while since I changed his bulb so I ran and got a new one. While in the petstore I wondered if I should switch to a long tube type of uvb but wasn’t sure it would make a difference since he primarily is right under the one I have. While in the pet store I was over analyzing every option and then couldn’t even remember what I usually get! I ended up with a 13W uvb 150 by exo terra. Is this sufficient or should I exchange for something else?
I am hoping that my lapse in changing the bulb out is the cause... could that be? Would putting him outside in sunlight help expedite recovery? If so, how long?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get rid of the coil!!! You need a long tube fixture NOW! this is the reason your dragon is flipping in his back - look for a fixture of 24" and get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 if they have it most pet stores don't carry them--

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your dragon needs calcium- he has not been able to absorb/ synethsize the calcium w/ the coil--- they are inadequate- I hate to tell you to get a 20" fixture and the T 8 bulb because the better bulb is the T but they only come in 24" fixtures

Melriz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":5nzavo94 said:
Get rid of the coil!!! You need a long tube fixture NOW! this is the reason your dragon is flipping in his back - look for a fixture of 24" and get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 if they have it most pet stores don't carry them--

OMG. Thank you for your quick responses you have no idea how grateful I am!!!
This is what my pet store has, is it correct? I would get the 17w?
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/bulbs-and-lamps/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-reptile-lamp-14822.html

Melriz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2geey2tw said:
Your dragon needs calcium- he has not been able to absorb/ synethsize the calcium w/ the coil--- they are inadequate- I hate to tell you to get a 20" fixture and the T 8 bulb because the better bulb is the T but they only come in 24" fixtures

I’m sorry I am confused... which bulb is better?
I think this is what you said as far as the t5:
Carolina Custom Cages Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5HO 22 Reptile Lighting Fluorescent Tube https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00K2BN7HK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_K3VKAFS9F4P0Q9GB533P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I can’t tell from the PetSmart listing if it’s the t5! Can you confirm the amazon link above is correct? I ordered it with a fixture that was recommended to go with it, but It won’t be here until Friday even with amazon prime. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Is that really bad? Would taking him out in the sun (as long as warm enough) help?

Melriz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":wyr88puq said:
Yes get the 17 watt --- what fixture did you get?

I can pick up the 17w from PetSmart today but it doesn’t look like they have a fixture to work for it. Do you know what fixture would work from Amazon? I can cancel my amazon order for the other bulb if the PetSmart one is better.

This is the fixture I got for the amazon bulb .. would it also work for the PetSmart one? I think it could arrive wed or Thursday
Sunblaster 904296 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 2-Feet https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VQRSJMJ6E45ACFHD42C6

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes and yes to your questions --- order the bulb its a T 5 and that is a good strong bulb
now if its warm enough where you are 65+ degrees set him on you directly in the sun for 15 minutes or longer and let him get direct sunlight -- this is going to help him -- do this every day till the UVB comes in when it does post back here and I will help you get it placed in your tank
No you need a 24" fixture for a 22" bulb --
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
See who can get it to you quicker

Melriz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2k1xkaap said:
Yes and yes to your questions --- order the bulb its a T 5 and that is a good strong bulb
now if its warm enough where you are 65+ degrees set him on you directly in the sun for 15 minutes or longer and let him get direct sunlight -- this is going to help him -- do this every day till the UVB comes in when it does post back here and I will help you get it placed in your tank

THANK YOU so so much! I will stick with the amazon order and post as soon as I get it. Unfortunately I think it might be rainy the rest of the week but I will put him out if it is warm enough and not raining.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
In the meantime get rid of the coil --- I hate to say it but this is a terrible bulb and is causing this issue - for now leave the UVB off --- watch the behavior -- you dont want anymore flipping on the back -- get the basking decor lower so she is not hurting herself if she falls off the decor -- watch your basking temps if you do this ---

Melriz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":212o9lt5 said:
In the meantime get rid of the coil --- I hate to say it but this is a terrible bulb and is causing this issue - for now leave the UVB off --- watch the behavior -- you dont want anymore flipping on the back -- get the basking decor lower so she is not hurting herself if she falls off the decor -- watch your basking temps if you do this ---

Okay got it! I can’t believe I didn’t know that coils were bad!! I just placed an order for a reptisun hood and bulb combo. It says it’s 24” and t5 and will be here Wednesday. It is a 5.0 t5 .. should it be the 10.0? At this point I will return whatever is wrong but just wanted to have options ASAP.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No they all come w/ the 5.0 just order the extra 10.0 bulb --- add to that order if you can -- the 5.0 is good for a back up the only thing is placement and distance for the two bulbs are different

Melriz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jq0x2ze said:
No they all come w/ the 5.0 just order the extra 10.0 bulb --- add to that order if you can -- the 5.0 is good for a back up the only thing is placement and distance for the two bulbs are different

Okay thank you! The 10.0 will come Friday and the fixture with 5.0 will be here Wednesday so I can get him started with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom