Is this shed or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Ive been noticing that my beardie Yuzu has been shedding some scales but just recently I noticed how odd his underbelly is!! Is this normal? ?
92512-6756713348.jpg
92512-3491425994.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it may be but it's one of the darkest + most drastic I've see. How long have you had beardie and have you seen it shed before ? Can you get a close up of the back ? Try a warm bath with 10 % betadine added and use a tooth brush to see if some of it comes off.

justinewin

Original Poster
AHBD":1gkjx9py said:
Hi there, it may be but it's one of the darkest + most drastic I've see. How long have you had beardie and have you seen it shed before ? Can you get a close up of the back ? Try a warm bath with 10 % betadine added and use a tooth brush to see if some of it comes off.

Ive had him for 6 months now and he is a 2.5 year old beardie. I just started giving him a betadine bath today but ive been giving him daily baths for 1.5 weeks now.

92512-9960052589.jpg

justinewin

Original Poster
Claudiusx":2anbf5c5 said:
Hi there,

What is his behavior like, is he acting normal?
Does he have a black beard at all?

-Brandon

Half of his beard is black which I suspect is shedding. He’s very lethargic and no appetite. Ive been feeding him veggie smoothie off a syringe for a week now cause I got worried he’ll end up losing weight. I wonder if this is all due to the intense shedding or something else :/

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, this is something else.

He appears to be very sick, his fat stores in his tail base and head are diminished, the lethargy, the black beard, and the strange discoloration on his abdomen. I don't know for sure what it is, as in 20 years I haven't seen anything quite like it, but I do know that this isn't going to be a case that you can handle at home. He needs bloodwork at the minimum to see what's going on, if not some type of imaging. From there you will be able to determine his best course of treatment.

But as I see it now, he really needs to be seen by a competent vet.

His back looks like it could be fungal, or a burn. Fungal infections when left untreated can become systematic, and infect the whole body. It's possible that he has a whole body infection and that is what is causing the discoloration on the belly.
But don't take my word for it, usually I speak from experience on these things, but like I said, I haven't seen something quite like this before.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Along with Brandon's advice can you post pics of the entire set up including lights + substrate ? Also, is there a water bowl in the tank ? Any damp areas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom