beardie's can't be in sunlight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I have read a couple places on these forums that beardies shouldn't be in direct sunlight. Since they bask outside in the wild, this really confuses me. Is it because they were raised indoors? Can you never take them outside if it's sunny??

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Direct summer sunshine is great for them provided it can be provided in a safe predator free location ( no cats, no dogs , no wild animals or predatory birds around , not in a glass enclosure ).
Lots people let their dragons roam in their gardens / garden beds when gardening , or on the lawn under supervision ( on a leash ) , or in a rabbit or chook type pen or hutch.

If it's hotter than 40 degC , it's too hot for beardie to go outside.

Careful of dragon eating bugs it spots outside , you don't know where they've been or what they've been spraying with or eaten.
Careful of dragon nibbling herbs / flowers which may have been sprayed or might be toxic.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
When you read not to put them in direct sunlight it's likely referring to either putting their enclosure in direct sunlight in a room by a window or a glass tank outside. Either of these situations would cause the enclosure to heat up quickly and could overheat + kill your dragon. Putting them outside on a nice day with proper caging , on a leash with harness, etc is very beneficial, just use common sense. Even desert or high temp. reptiles need an area of shade if it's very hot out. Other than that direct sunlight is great for them.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Charlie lives at the library so one of the best bonding opportunities we have is going outside on my afternoon break (when it's warm enough). He adores being out, and besides the exercise, it allows him to poop outside of his enclosure. He hates when he has to do that, since he's not right by me, I don't always see it right away.

I am excited for the summer programming to get started because I'll be doing all of my story sessions outside under cloth shades. I'm hoping Charlie can come out and spend a lot of time outside with the kids and I. I have a regular leash but I did also buy one that has some "bungee" to it. He will go to my shoulder but he thinks he can fly and I don't want him falling and hurting himself.

I have had to learn the hard way that his instincts tell him to rush in and grab appetizing bugs. The monarch butterfly last summer didn't make him sick, but it could have. I try to give him freedom to explore but I have to be vigilant because he has no common sense. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom