(UPDATE) Bearded dragon still not Laying eggs (15 weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyshaci

Hi I posted back in December about my bearded dragon pan she was a rescue and about 2 years old. When I got her, her breathing wasn’t right so I took her to the vet and she has a RI, and she had an X-ray which showed eggs ( I’ll add the x ray) she is still digging on and off over the past few months. I’m worried she might become egg bound if she not already.
at the moment she is doing well and not showing typical signs of egg binding such as black bearded, lethargic no appetite.
She is eating veg every day insects twice a week and I’m giving extra calcium she has a big box outside of her tank with a mix of soil and sand which she created burrows in and then lies in them but not trying to push the eggs out.
Her uvb is 12% + d3 by Arcadia with reflector
Her basking temp is 39c I’ve also put some shredded paper bedding in for her to dig in her tank which I’ve place under some cork bark on the cool side. Also to add I don’t know much about how she was looked after before I got her.
I’m really getting worried Any help will be appreciated?
108816-7447526646.jpg
108816-3316295860.jpg

Alyshaci

Original Poster
108816-7455516876.jpg
This is her dig box, I lay the cork bark over the top so it’s darker for her this is the burrow she made today.
108816-3491048156.jpg
This a photo of my baby today before digging

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a hard call but 15 weeks is awhile. My thoughts would be that she is either egg
bound, or she is or has begun absorbing them. The only way to determine that would be
to take her back to the vets to get another x-ray done to see what could be going on. A
lot of them do tend to reabsorb them for whatever reason. If her calcium levels are low for
some reason then they could give some liquid calcium to help or a single calcium booster
shot if needed.
Has her beard been black at all? It is a good sign though, that she isn't appearing to be in
distress at the moment.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Alyshaci

Original Poster
Hi thanks for getting back to me so quick.
I think when I showed you the X-rays months ago you said that they looked hardened, so could they still be absorbed?
No her beard has never gone black and she is very alert except when she’s been digging all week then she get a bit tired. She is still struggling with her breathing but that was put down to the eggs, she wakes up during the night with is as well ?
Would the calcium help her lay them? Also what would be next steps be if the Calcium didn’t work?
Pans belly has never been particularly big since knowing she has eggs and I know with a lot of bearded dragon you can see the outline off the eggs sometime.
108816-3165919604.jpg

Alyshaci

Original Poster
Also when we went to the vets for the X-ray (15 weeks ago) the vet said that she has egg follicles left and she would require surgery, he got that from just the X-rays. I don’t fully trust the vet which is why I chose to see how she got on at home. But because she is struggling to breath everyday, some days worse than others. I’m worried that it is egg binding, her belly can become hard and bloated occasionally for about a day but then it’s fine for a few weeks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, on that x-ray, they were likely mostly calcified & should have been laid shortly
thereafter. It is starting to become worrisome though, that she is having a harder time
breathing.
I don't think calcium alone would help her lay but would help replace any calcium & increase
her blood serum levels. At this point, she either needs oxytocin hormone to help with laying,
or possible surgery if she has become egg bound.
Is her beard still normal color or has it become darkened yet?

Tracie

Alyshaci

Original Poster
Hi,
Her beard is still normal. I would say her breathing hasn’t got worse but has been the same since she first started some days she’s okay with it others not so much. I don’t have any money at the moment but in 2 weeks time I will, I’m going to try and Find a way to get money so I can take her next week.

Alyshaci

Original Poster
Hi,
Her beard is still normal. I would say her breathing hasn’t got worse but has been the same since she first started some days she’s okay with it others not so much. I don’t have any money at the moment but in 2 weeks time I will, I’m going to try and Find a way to get money so I can take her next week.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear your girl has a clear beard. Have you tried daily baths, to let her swim
around some for exercise?
How much calcium are you giving her & how often?
Please keep us updated on her progress.

Tracie

Alyshaci

Original Poster
Hi, I’ll try to see how she gets on with the daily bath. She has been digging a lot all week.
I’m giving her calcium on her insects and dust her veg with it as well, I do it most days.
I will do fingers crossed I can get enough money to get her in to the vets this week.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, digging is a good sign, hopefully she will lay without intervention!
Extra fluids & some baths might help her out. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Alyshaci

Original Poster
Hi, pan has just been to the vets for a blood test and X-ray we will get the results later today. I’ll see if they will email me the results and I’ll post them on here. But by the sounds of it she will need spaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom