Status
Not open for further replies.

Travisc410

Original Poster
110828-6095462777.jpg
110828-188161261.jpg
110828-804094724.jpg
110828-4938859660.jpg
I don’t know much but I’m going to say it’s not good at all. I put her in a bath - she didn’t even move or care. I’ve used this syringe to get some water into her. After several small cycles and her puffing up like drinking she eventually opened both eyes. Her belly is swelling in and out now. I’m not sure how much water she needs in her from this syringe. I’ve refilled it once so maybe half a syringe considering spillage. Keep giving her water? Put her under heat or UV light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Probably 1/4 ml ---if she was basking under her MVB set her under the UVB and see what she does - keep giving her water a couple of times a day - 1/4 ml or so when you get a response from AHBD or Tracie or both see what they say I am thinking they are going to advise to get food into her w/ slurries of vegies and protein like crickets w/ some calcium powder -- she does need to eat and if thats the case you may haft to hand feed her for now --- I am hoping this will bounce her back -- if it doesnt you have a sick dragon -- which is not uncommon - where did you get her from ? I know you said you got her from someone else but where did they get her from? The hydration will help her go pee- it will be white urate -- it needs to look moist and formed - if she poops black it should be formed and moist --

Travisc410

Original Poster
She came from PetSMart. My mother in-law got her from there. She had the white and black like you described a couple days ago. Getting her to eat is going to be the issue. She also keeps going up the ramp towards the light and keeps trying to climb the glass higher for some reason. She’s moving around the cage some and climbing up my daughter. But eyes are still closed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So shes trying to get warmer? What is the temp at the top of the ramp? Do you have a CHE ? ceramic heat emitter? heating pad ? I am thinking you need to keep that tank warmer at nite like around 80 or so

Travisc410

Original Poster
It is during the daytime that she was crawling up. Most of the day she laid in the middle of the ramp so it’s not like she was cold. She could have gone up higher. Or at least that is the way it seems. The temperature varies from 100° to 106.5°. I do not have any other heat sources. Overnight the cage is around 70°. I just got done ordering the BSFL and the Dubai roaches suggested. If I need to get something else, let me know because I am going to the pet store tomorrow. If I need a ceramic bulb, I do not have a clue on what size.

We also force-fed her some green like stuff earlier. I blended up some different green leaves that were suggested, also included some bell pepper, a little bit of kiwi and added some calcium powder. There were also two meal worms and a couple crickets included. We were able to get some of that in her with a syringe. We tried giving her small amounts and letting her swallow in between. I also gave her a little bit more water the same way afterwards. Hopefully this will help get some nutrition back in her and she will go back to eating.

If I need to do something else or get something else, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, it definitely looks like she isn't feeling very well at all.
For now, since she is so weak, I would highly recommend lowering her lighting to a level in
which she doesn't really have to climb much at all to attain her optimal temperatures & to get
proper UVB lighting/exposure too.
It is imperative that you do frequent feedings, if at all possible. As suggested, simply drop the
food/fluids onto the end of her nose so that you can encourage her to lick the food off. If she
likes the flavor then she should start to take it more readily.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Travisc410

Original Poster
Here is where we are at this morning. She has Peed and pooped. It looks like she just did it based on looking at it. She is sitting up on the top of the perch basking. Her eyes are still closed but she is somewhat attentive. She turned her head and looked when I opened the cage doors. I’ll try putting the stuff on her nose, but usually she just lets it sit there.
110828-9462483162.jpg
110828-2303101863.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The poop looks good shes hydrated -- please do as Tracie advised lower the light so she doesnt need to climb so high to get to it or you can set up a hospital tank like this
97951-1320896047.jpg
this is a regular 20 gallon tote it would be easier for her to get to the UVB light -- I would get a regular basking bulb like a 75 watt Exo Terra bulb that can sit on the top directly above her along w/ the T 8 you bought directly above her -- feed her several times per day as Tracie suggested
You can get a ceramic heat emitter -- use the screen from the your bigger tank for the CHE at nite but you must get your temps 105-110 and that UVB 6-8 inches directly above her -- the CHE in the bigger tank would be a 100 watt bulb the 20 gallon tote maybe a 60 watt that is going to be trial and error -- only use it at nite and get the temp in the morning before lights on - use your digital probe for all of the temps -- if you need more help please ask -- it is so hard to explain some of this stuff but we do the best we can to help

Travisc410

Original Poster
I appreciate all of the help. I know some of it is difficult to try to explain and the same for interpreting it over here. I will get a ceramic bulb for night time today. I take it now that the UVB and the MVB both need to be on the same side so she is getting both at the same time, correct? Right now I have one on each side of the cage. I will take and get rid of the screen and lower the bulb down in the tank further So I can lower her platform day on and everything. The temperature on the platform fluctuates. Anywhere from 100° to 106.5°. I associate that with the loss of heat through the top, but that is simply a guess. I don’t want to set up a separate tank so I will just try to get this one like it needs to be. I will try feeding her more of the stuff later. The ambient temperature in the cage according to the thermostat on the back wall is around 78°. It is around 76 of the cool side. That also fluctuates up-and-down just a little bit. But never usually below 76° If I close off part of the top, it would certainly keep it warmer in the tank as a whole.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes closing off part of the top would make it warmer but you must keep watch on the temp you don't want to cook her-- moving the T 8 make sure that distance is 6-8 inches directly above her-- do what you can and keep us posted

SPandS

Juvie Member
Is it possible the mvb is bad and putting out a harmful amount of uv? Have you tried turning if off and just using a regular bulb for heat and the tube for uvb?

Travisc410

Original Poster
So today’s update. She a little more perky and is moving around more; but her eyes are still closed. She’s ate some of the blended green veggies we fed her yesterday. Today was a little easier feeding that to her. She’s also drank some.

Tonight I moved the cage around some. I lowered the perch and also lowered the MVB down. The temperature is 107 at the top but still fluctuates some. The MVB and UVB are now there together over the perch. The cool side is 76 degrees.

I have also added a 100w ceramic bulb that you can see hanging. If she wanted too, she could get onto the other perch for warmth. I will see how the 2 lights and ceramic mesh for temps tomorrow. It’s currently 79.7 of the left and 76 on cool down side. She’s sleeping on her perch where she does sometimes. Tonight she has laid in the middle of the perch as seen, under the perch and partially under the perch and exposed.
110828-3320882502.jpg
110828-6692549195.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a thought, from the other member, as to your Powersun MVB. How close to her is it?
What wattage is it? They can be placed too close & cause eye issues.
Did she op en her eyes very much today? I hope you are able to get some food into her without
too much hassle. Some take to it very well while others don't really care for it much. Just keep
trying with her, she does look better.
It might be worth trying to turn off the Powersun MVB & using just a regular basking bulb such
as a nice bright Halogen to see if there is any improvement of her eyes.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Travisc410

Original Poster
The power sun bulb is new and is 160w. That came with the new 40 gallon tank. I got that because she had a 10 gallon tank and had no idea it was too small . We had different lights with that tank too. That had a MVB and a coil CFL bulb. That’s what pet store sold us. Back to my point, her eyes were both closed before the new tank and bulbs. So it shouldn’t be these bulbs.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Did she start closing them when you were using the cfl? Those are notorious for causing eye issues. How long did she have the cfl and how long has she been without it? If that was the cause hopefully her eyes will heal enough they will start opening more and more and not have any long lasting damage.

Also the mvb looks very close, I'm not sure how far it needs to be to be safe but I would double check the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom