Beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCur

So I posted not too long ago about a bearded dragon I rescued from a not so great owner/situation who didn’t give her the proper care and didn’t have heat or uvb for her for 5 years.The day I got her she was good and walking around and eating super worms. She was pooping regularly and basking as well. She went from a 40 gallon fish tank at her last owner with a 14% Arcadia uvb for only a few months. When I got her I switched her to a 120 gallon zen habitat with a Reptisun t5 10.0 and her basking spot is at 97-100 degrees. Once I got her home after the first day or two she stopped using her front legs and pushing herself around with her back feet with her front ones just down by her side. I took her to the vet and they said everything all was good and she had good bone density despite not having uvb for 5 years. Since I brought her to the vet she has stopped eating greens or bugs, won’t drink water and doesn’t move at all from her cool side. She used to take down both veggies and bugs but just closes her eyes when I try to give her either. I understand she probably has some extent of mbd but I just don’t understand why all of a sudden when I got her and gave her great husbandry that she needed that she’s started to go downhill. I’ve searched everywhere on the internet and can’t find anything. Please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are you still using the 14% UVB? Where in the tank is it---? that is a real strong bulb and the distance for that should be around 17-18 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- its sounds like MDB -- did the vet do a X ray of the dragon-- that will show you where the calcium is - not having a UVB for 5 years I do not see how she could not have MBD or even having seizures by now -- it sounds like the health issue has caught up to her --- not having the UVB also she has not been able to absorb / synthesize the calcium she was taking in --- to be honest I am surprised its taken this long for the health issues to start -- I would get her up under the UVB w/ her not using the front legs shes going to need some help w/ getting under the UVB at a proper distance - like I said that UVB needs to be approx 17-18 inches directly above her - I am using a Zen as well and had the 14 % bulb inside the tank w/ the distance I just posted - basking decor directly under it -- make sure your basking temps are 95-100 or so for her most older dragons do not like real hot temps now -- I am going to flag your post to Tracie and AHBD-- they can help more

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
Please review your tank setup with us, so we can be sure that everything is all correct.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

JCur

Original Poster
Hey so sorry for the late response I’ve been so busy this week. My beardie has been about the same she’s not eating greens and will sometimes even turn down bugs. She’s not using her front legs at all which is the part I don’t understand because it literally happened over night. The first few days I had her she was walking around just fine and then boom she just stopped using them. No signs of injury. When they did x rays on her at the vet she had great bone structure and they said her calcium levels were great. No signs of impaction either. I’ve given her the best quality everything and she seems to be doing worse than when she was with her last owner who literally never gave her lights or heat and was a heavy indoor smoker with no consideration for the bearded dragon. I’m out of ideas as to what it can be.

JCur

Original Poster
Drache613":niq9o1e9 said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
Please review your tank setup with us, so we can be sure that everything is all correct.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

She is in a Zen Habitat with a Reptisun t5 10.0 mounted inside and her basking spot stays anywhere from 97-100.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How far is the T 5 from her basking decor? It should be directly above 12-15 inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom