Male BD is not very well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macklaws

Hi
For the past few days after bathing my BD he has not stopped gaping he is even doing it in his sleep.
He did drink some water but since then the does not move at all or try to hold on if I hold him at an angle. I've noticed that I cant seem to see his breathing like I would usually. I have two bearded dragons both in separate similar vivs and I change there lights every 6 months and dust all there food with calcium. He has never been very active since I got him as a juvenile but now he wont move at all. He is now about a year and a half old. He has turned down all food for the past few days but he has pooped in this time. I have raised the temp as per the advice in other threads when they have water aspiration but to no luck at all. His eyes are not sunken and he has good fat pockets.
I feel a vet visit is the next move but fear it will be far more expensive then I can afford. Please help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please tell me what your using for a UVB? the brand and bulb please and where in the tank is it? If its a tube the distance and placement is crucial --- does he have any mucos or drainage out of his nose or mouth lots of saliva? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please- please post a pic of him https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post

Macklaws

Original Poster
I am using all the right lights. A basking light and a tube uvb. Although my question seems like I'm new to this. I done extensive research before getting a BD. The tube is from Arcadia 30/750 mm and the basking light is a 75w. He also has a heat lamp for night and this is on a thermometer switch.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Ooh no poor boy; he does not look well, it looks most likely a respiratory infection. he needs to be seen by a vet ASAP

if it is a respiratory infection it shouldn't cost you a ton to fix, even if he requires nebulizer meds - but the sooner the better, these can go pear shaped very fast

Make sure the humidity is not above 40% in there, and see if you can turn up the temps a little, cool end needs to be around 80F and keep ambient temp around 80F overnight

Macklaws

Original Poster
I will book him in to a exotics vet today. I am still concerned about him being so limp. What could be causing this? Is that a symptom of a respiratory infection

Macklaws

Original Poster
Just checked him over and it looks like his mouth has lots of blood in it no vets are currently open and now I'm really worried

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Goodness, your boy is very critical! You got an appointment for him, or were you not able to
get him into a vets? Do you happen to have a nebulizer?
Do you have a ceramic heat emitter to use for him, overnight, to keep him around 80 or so,
for boosting his immune system?
It does sound as though he might have aspirated some water possibly, but not sure. His open
mouth breathing is suspect though. Is his beard black or normal color? I do see the blood in
his mouth or gum area. That is very odd. Is there blood in his throat or are you able to see?
I wonder if he chewed on something sharp & hurt his mouth somehow. just looking at options.
We will help as much as we can.

Tracie

Macklaws

Original Poster
They open in little over a hour so hopefully I can get him seen asap. He hasn't chewed anything in the last few days and the blood came overnight. I'm wondering if it's from the constant gaping? His beard has been black since this started and he still is not moving

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Oh the mouth is very red and inflamed, I can't see the teeth ? Looks like stomatitis; the entire mouth looks very inflamed and angry- needs urgent antibiotics and something for pain most likely; good that the vet opens soon- put him in a warm towel/carrier and get him there asap!

The black beard could be from pain as well as the infection, same with the limp body- it looks quite painful. I'm optimistic for him though to recover if you can get him treated asap- his fat pads, eyes and weight all look ok

I had a beardie with stomatitis because she ate too much fruit and soft insects which caused dental issues; she gaped a lot too but I took her to the vet quickly before it worsened and was able to treat it fully

Macklaws

Original Poster
Sadly there was nothing the vets could do for him they said he had deep set sepsis. He must of been unwell for quite some time. It's a sad day

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Macklaws":3ev2dj4p said:
Sadly there was nothing the vets could do for him they said he had deep set sepsis. He must of been unwell for quite some time. It's a sad day

Did they give you any choices ? Conservative treatment options?

Im so sorry:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom