Sick Beardie with eyes closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travisc410

Original Poster
Ok. I never knew of the 3rd eye. I have cut the red 100w heat lamp off and cut the purple 75w heat lamp on. It was 90 so that is why I switched lights. She was still laying on the bottom of the ramp where she was earlier so I assume she wanted to be warm rather than going to the dark cooler side. The only way to get it cooler is with no light at all which is what we've done as long as we had her. I mean if she wants to be cooler, can't she just go to the other side where it is 76?

Another question is, when you're quoting temps, are you looking at the tank as a whole or a specific area? Obviously, if we're measuring the perch temperature, that could be different than the tank as a whole. The cool side thermometer is halfway up on the back left side.

For the lights - I'll go to PetsMart or PetCo tomorrow for the lights you mentioned initially, assuming they have them. I'll assume I need to get a ceramic bulb tomorrow for heat at night? Any suggestions on wattage for a 40-gallon tank? I'll also get another digital thermostat.

We have a multi-mix of food that has small pellets, crickets, and mealworms. She has never liked crickets, alive or dead. She at least ate, drank, and pooped yesterday. But today she has not eaten much, if anything at all. I'm not sure how to get her to eat if she just lays there.

I/we appreciate all the help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get rid of the purple light ---- the MVB should be keeping temps to what you need them you should not need a extra heat bulb w/ a 160 watt bulb --- please take the probe of the thermometer place it under the MVB and get the temp- you should have 3 temps in the tank basking side of 105-110- middle of tank 90" s and the cool side 80's during the day -- she will go to where she needs to go -- she should be basking under the MVB for atleast 4 hrs of the day the stick on where the MVB is giving you ambient temps - you want a basking temp - take the probe place it on the spot where she sits to bask like in the pic - if she moved after you turned on that second heat lamp that should of told you it was too hot - please watch her behavior --- you do not need a CHE at nite ceramic heat emitter if your tank is 65 or above- if your tank is above 75 at nite its too hot--- you can look at your stick on for ambient temps in the morning to see what the temp is -- if its below 65 first thing in the morning you would need a CHE -- they produce heat NO light-- for a 40 gallon tank 100 watt --- but do NOT use it if the tank is 65 or above- we need to get these temps straightened out before we can move on w/ the next thing- she is not going to eat till her temps are correct- do not buy ANY COILS you will have more problems -- the Power Sun is a good bulb but it must be placed properly to get the best results --- and the first thing is we need to get the temp correct for basking but w/ all the heat bulbs you have / had going and not getting any temps your dragon is cooking -- they will die of heat stroke -- that is why she has moved to the bottom of the tank -- it was cooler down there -- when you get the temp tell me what it is -- place the probe where she was at in the pic

Travisc410

Original Poster
110828-1017038776.jpg
This is where she is at this morning. Last night I ended up cutting all of the lights off and her temperature was around 70°. This morning my daughter had already cut the lights on so I was able to get another temperature reading. I put the probe on the perch and with both lights on it was around 108°. I went ahead and cut the purple light off so only the red heat lamp and the UV lamp is on. I just went to Petsmart and they don’t have anything for 24 inch fixtures with the bulbs like I need. I’m going to try Petco but I am not sure if they will have any or not. If not maybe I can find something on Amazon. If you have any suggestions, feel free to send them. I will check temperatures again later and get a couple more probes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please shut the red light off ----- here are some links for the UVB
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture
this comes w/a 5.0 bulb please hang on to it use it as a back up if you need to distance and placement is different from this bulb you will need https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630 22" bulb ---
108 temp is good -- but I want a temp w/ out the red light on-- the red light is doing damage to the dragons eyes -- please shut it off ----
when you get the UVB please let me know so I can help you place it
you need to keep the dragon hydrated -- is she eating at all and if so what?

Travisc410

Original Poster
I can’t get temps near that high right now without a second bulb (red or purple). She didn’t eat yesterday. Hopefully we can get her something today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Something is off then w/ a 160 watt bulb it should be able to keep temps that high have you moved the probe to different spots - if you place the probe clear to the top of the shelf that she sits on what is the temp?

SPandS

Juvie Member
If you can't get the temps for whatever reason high enough with one bulb you can use another just make sure it's bright white.

Travisc410

Original Poster
So here is where we are at now. I bought an 18” light (all they had) and mounted to the top middle of the cage on the cool side. The light is mounted on the inside. It is a Reptisun 10.0 UVB. I have a digital thermometer on the left mounted half way down the glass. Temp is 78.3.

I have the white 160w Powersun UV bulb on the right overtop of her perch. The second digital thermometer has the probe at the top of the perch. The temperature varies from 100 - 105.5.

The rear ambient temperature is 80 and humidity is at 36%.

She has some spinach leaves, meal worms and moist baby bites for protein in there. However, she is not doing anything other than sitting there.

Now what? How long before I should see some kind of change? I also bought a timer to cut the lights on at 9 AM and off at 9 PM automatically.

110828-6680125603.jpg
110828-624541655.jpg
110828-6101326914.jpg
110828-8777901167.jpg
110828-9630382126.jpg
110828-9630382126.jpg
110828-4067660212.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the distance for the T 8 should be 6-8 inches over basking decor-- please take the cover off the fixture you want the bulb exposed- and please change the bulb out in 5 months-- they say 6 I recommend 5-- temps are good- I would not recommend the meal worms or spinach -- please order her some BSFL large from here http://www.symtonbsf.com do not dust them - they are a great staple feeder feed on top of her salads those will lure her to the bowl-- hand feed her those- rinse the greens before serving they will give her moisture- please get another staple feeder like crickets I recommend dubia roaches-- http://www.dubiaroaches.com order the size no bigger than the space between their eyes length wise-- dust 5 x per week w/ calcium D 3 once per feeding lightly dusted once per feeding-- vitamins w/.beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding-- you have done good :) she should start to come around now eating a little- she's going thru relocation stress- that will effect the eating but if she starts eating now that is good her appetite will/.should increase as she acclimates to her tank and surroundings- you can also order some small superworms feed 2-3 on top of her salads you want her eating her salads too do you have the nutrition website?

Travisc410

Original Poster
She has laid around a lot today. Her eyes are still closed. She will respond and move her head if she hears the doors on the cage open. She still has not eaten anything. Yesterday I was able to get a couple slivers of some wet protein bites in her mouth. But outside of that, she has not had anything. She has mainly just sat on the perch under the basking light. She likes it about halfway up. The temperature is 106° at the top currently. I’m not sure what to do about the whole not eating thing. I will order some of the stuff you mentioned.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is she active moving at all around the tank or staying in one spot? Is she pooping? Can you post a pic of her please-- can you post a pic of her poop so I can see it- try and get it right after she poops -- they will bask w/ their eyes closed -- is she opening them at all? I want to know if shes dehydrated-- not eating anything w/ no moisture will make her dehydrated -- is she eating crickets?

Travisc410

Original Poster
Today she has not moved around. She has been on that perch all day. She has not opened her eyes at all. Even if I take her out. She is not eating, she is not drinking and she is not pooping. She has not pooped in three days. She just kind of sits there. She does not appear to want to eat. Day before yesterday she would take and drink some off the tip of the spray bottle. We are still spraying her and the cage so she is getting a little bit of moisture there. She does not like crickets and never has. I moved her over under the new UV light.
110828-3612843291.jpg
110828-7453223578.jpg
110828-7777945539.jpg
110828-5876678727.jpg
110828-6848373106.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok you need to get some water into her-- take a syringe and SLOWLY feed her water--- add a little at a time and let her swollen before adding more --- she does not look good --- I am going to have some others look at her and advise

Travisc410

Original Poster
How am I supposed to feed her water. She won’t open her mouth.... Even if I try to go in from the side she won’t do it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Take a credit card put it between her lips and she will open - have someone help you --- or you can try a bath see if she will drink if she starts drinking really fast pull her you dont want her to aspirate- you can try dropping water on her nose see if she will lick -- but you do need to hydrate her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom