COCCIDIA MEDS DID NOT WORK TWICE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is excellent his beard went back to a normal color! I think that he most likely is going
to shed.
A lot of times, medications are used prematurely & will do more harm than good. If his levels
were not warranted for treatment the medications probably disrupted his GI tract & affected his
digestion which can cause intestinal distress & bloating.
Continue with the baby food to help him out right now. Can your aunt try to feed him some
while you are gone?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
Drache613":3egcnysa said:
Hello,

That is excellent his beard went back to a normal color! I think that he most likely is going
to shed.
A lot of times, medications are used prematurely & will do more harm than good. If his levels
were not warranted for treatment the medications probably disrupted his GI tract & affected his
digestion which can cause intestinal distress & bloating.
Continue with the baby food to help him out right now. Can your aunt try to feed him some
while you are gone?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
'
idk my aunt cant exactly hold reptiles so idk what to do she will def be able to deep clean the tank but i don't know about feeding hopefully we will be able to feed him a little bit of solid food by then in 10 days :| and yea you know the antibiotics we were using I don't think he has anything to need those shots I feel really bad now and def changing vets I literally knew more than her!?!? and she did not recommend any bedding for bearded dragons and I really needed help on that :oops: after we come back from our trip most likely well use pet hospital of peteniques if he's fully healed from the antibiotics

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
this is what he looks like when he's bloated and he does it for 10-20 min and he's mad bc I force-fed him 2 ml for breakfast :blob8:https:
full
and this
full

and it does not look like he's about to shed and so far he's been bloated for 2 hr :oops: and today he having a black beard all day today :banghead:

SPandS

Juvie Member
Personally I wouldn't be force feeding him, especially banana. I would used a dropper or syringe and place it on his nose and let him lick it off if he was hungry. I would also use something that is a bit more nutritious like squash until the oxbow comes. He clearly doesn't like being force fed and stressing him out isn't going to help whatever his problems may be.

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
SandP":ysihpy4n said:
Personally I wouldn't be force feeding him, especially banana. I would used a dropper or syringe and place it on his nose and let him lick it off if he was hungry. I would also use something that is a bit more nutritious like squash until the oxbow comes. He clearly doesn't like being force fed and stressing him out isn't going to help whatever his problems may be.

ok thanks, I'm using a syringe and I do have yellow squash baby food and the way I'm force-feeding him is dropping it on to his face he licks a little, and then he will not eat anymore so that's why I have to force-feed him so I don't exactly know how else to feed him the baby food considering that he will not eat that much off his lips, and I will start feeding the yellow squash today and the critical care should be coming today so I'm excited about that and also I will be mixing the oxbow with the baby food considering that I got the carnivore one because I know he needs more protein right now and it will hopefully be more appetizing. and also what do you think I should do with the force-feeding situation?

lisbetha

Technically, shouldn't need to handle to drip feed, but if is eating on its own, I'd try to make that more appetising over constant had feeding cause I could see a picky dragon getting used to that. Make sure it stays hydrated as much as possible.

Maybe try to get a second opinion on a fecal float test - any vet should be able to do it and it's inexpensive. They might have missed a worm or protozoa infestation as these things can go hand in hand. Slightly different techniques are better at uncovering different parasites and coccidia are easily spotted and might have obscured something else.

Once again, literally any vet - they can all recognise parasites - though you may need to do the collection yourself as you can't rely on them to be giving enemas. Some worms can hatch in under 2 hours so the fresher, the easier it is to pick up what's there. At least you can confirm the status on the coccidia outbreak as well.

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
lisbetha":jam1ox5z said:
Technically, shouldn't need to handle to drip feed, but if is eating on its own, I'd try to make that more appetising over constant had feeding cause I could see a picky dragon getting used to that. Make sure it stays hydrated as much as possible.

Maybe try to get a second opinion on a fecal float test - any vet should be able to do it and it's inexpensive. They might have missed a worm or protozoa infestation as these things can go hand in hand. Slightly different techniques are better at uncovering different parasites and coccidia are easily spotted and might have obscured something else.

Once again, literally any vet - they can all recognize parasites - though you may need to do the collection yourself as you can't rely on them to be giving enemas. Some worms can hatch in under 2 hours so the fresher, the easier it is to pick up what's there. At least you can confirm the status on the coccidia outbreak as well.

ok! I will get a second opinion but is it ok if we do it after our trip because it will be much easier and also all the reptile vets cost from 50 dollars to 65 for a fecal test ? i seriously think they are making us pay wayyyyyyyy too much :banghead: :puke: hopefully we will find a vet that finds an anything else and also when we did the fecals for the vet they told us to drop it off whenever so they were only 30 min old for 4 fecals (we were able to bring 2 stool samples each!) and also how do I make his food more appetizing? and also the oxbow critical care is coming at 10 pm tonight so hopefully, he can get some good protein tom! :blob8: :blob5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he is back to a black beard, something must be bothering him some then. I hope
he gets some food into him then. The squash baby food will be good, & you can get some
chicken or turkey baby food to mix with the squash.
Dropping food onto the end of his nose is perfectly fine, most of them do pretty well with
feeding them that way.
I hope that your aunt will make an effort to get food & fluid into him while you are gone, even
if it's in limited capacity, so he doesn't starve.

Tracie

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
Drache613":14n2ty0r said:
Hello,

Poor guy, he is back to a black beard, something must be bothering him some then. I hope
he gets some food into him then. The squash baby food will be good, & you can get some
chicken or turkey baby food to mix with the squash.
Dropping food onto the end of his nose is perfectly fine, most of them do pretty well with
feeding them that way.
I hope that your aunt will make an effort to get food & fluid into him while you are gone, even
if it's in limited capacity, so he doesn't starve.

Tracie

i have no clue whats going on with his black beard bc he had a normal beard in the morning then it turns black around 10:00 am then until around 4:00 pm then for the rest of the day its white so I don't know why but I think its that he poops around 10 so it might be hurting him bc of the coccidia and also she might be able too bc I don't think she will be able to force it but prob just drop it on his nose, and also his squash baby food has a lot of water added so I think she does not need to give him any more than that so I think that will be good for just a week, and he also looks like he's in pain when he poops which worries me what should I do in the meantime?

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
oxbow arrived today and he ABSOLUTELY LOVES IT I put one drop on his lip and he licked it and then IMMEDIATELY took a huge bite at the syringe and then his beard went back to white he's getting a little more than 1/2 a teaspoon mixed with 1 tsp of warm water and let it cool and it makes a good amount of food for him! and gives him a good amount of hydration he also got 2 ml of baby food this morning and also he's DESTROYING the syringe :lol: he just goes crazy for the oxbow and he also had a good amount of stool today! today his beard had the tiniest amount of grey which is wayyyyyy better than yesterday and I think we should wait a month before we take him to a different vet so he can have a good amount of time for a break of all the meds what do you think? :silent:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's really good to hear ! Sounds like he'll do just fine on the Oxbow C.C. :) And yes, hold off on the vet visit, give him a break from that stress.

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
AHBD":3mgs9803 said:
That's really good to hear ! Sounds like he'll do just fine on the Oxbow C.C. :) And yes, hold off on the vet visit, give him a break from that stress.

yep def waiting till the end of April wish chess luck!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news to hear he ended up really liking the Critical Care then, hopefully it will
really help him out.
I hope that his appetite continues to improve & that his black beard stays diminished, too!
Definitely give him time right now, to let his body get back to normal since he isn't on any
meds right now. It takes time for them to get to feeling 100% again after going through
medication rounds.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
ok! today he had a white beard with a smige of black andalso i might end up stoping the beby food altogether bc he HATES it soooo much the way I know is when he licks a lil off his lips he turns his beard black and so I think that HE HATES it so I think ill just stick onto the oxbow for now XD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope your dragon is feeling better now. If he just doesn't like the babyfood then you can
just stick with the critical care for him!
If his beard is practically back to normal then he is definitely doing better! Let us know
how he is progressing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom