Status
Not open for further replies.

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
AHBD":7ragydw5 said:
Hi there, sorry you're having such trouble ! I would definitely give him a break from the meds., he's stressed out and needs time to just be a dragon again. You can get a product called Oxbow Critical Care online or from a vet to feed him. There's also Fluker's Reptaboost from pet store, baby food like chicken and squash but must be no salt / sugar added.

Post pics of him [ full body ] as well as his tank set up. Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

I will show you pics of him and his tank tom bc he's sleeping right now and I don't want to disturb him and also I will get him the baby food tom and I will look int the Oxbow Critical Care. we are traveling for spring break (in 2 weeks) and I have a person to care for him im just worryd he needs meds of some sort then so idk what to do because I don't think she will be able to give him meds what should I do im panicking rn :blob5: thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today?
Have you stopped giving medications right now? Since his beard is still dark, I would
recommend not giving anymore medications at this point, if he is black bearding he does
need a break!
As AHBD suggested, try the critical care to help support his nutritional needs right now.
Are you able to keep him warmer overnight, using a ceramic heat emitter to help boost his
immune system right now?
Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Tracie

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
so I just woke him up and ill post pics of him in a few hrs bc I have to go and I'm in a hurry :) and weel look into the ceramic heat emitter and the critical care I was wondering about should I get the carnivore or herbivore for him he's 11 months old btw :blob5: and yes he's off meds and should I'm mixing the critical care with baby food to make it more appetizing

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
this is his tank
110756-8574166591.jpg
and this is his lighting
110756-9661090611.jpg
and this is him
110756-1550878073.jpg
and another pic of him
110756-1320390483.jpg
and here is his most recent stool I'm worried about
110756-9691017353.jpg
please tell me what you think or if you need more pics

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He needs to be able to get directly underneath the UVB-- the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or wide hole type? The screen is blocking the UVB rays or filtering them approx 30%-- the bulb is a T 5? If your screen is fine please move the UVB inside the tank distance 12-15 inches directly above a piece of basking decor-- if you need help w/ hanging it please ask I will get some stuff posted for you

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
KarrieRee":3dlda8aq said:
He needs to be able to get directly underneath the UVB-- the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or wide hole type? The screen is blocking the UVB rays or filtering them approx 30%-- the bulb is a T 5? If your screen is fine please move the UVB inside the tank distance 12-15 inches directly above a piece of basking decor-- if you need help w/ hanging it please ask I will get some stuff posted for you

sorry! its hard to tell but the UVB is strapped underneath the tank! its t5 12 percent uvb 13 inches away from the ground and the basking bulb has a huge hole underneath it so the UVA can go thru! and 6 inches away from his basking spot so he wont get hurt from it! I did a lot of research more than i needed to (because of overthinking self) :lol:

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
what do you think his bloating is from its really scaring me rn and also the oxbow criticle care is coming on Thursday I cant wait! i got the carnivore one bc I'm going to mix it with baby food so he gets a balanced diet and also he needs more protein right now so he can gain wait what do you think? :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your setup looks good. The tube bulb is mounted on the underneath side of the screen
top, is it in a light fixture with reflective backing too?
Has his beard lightened up any at all thus far? I hope he is feeling better. Hopefully the
critical care will help him out, along with the baby food addition too.
Is he getting adequate fluids into him right now? You can try getting some flavored pedialyte
& dilute it slightly to give to him daily also to help with hydration.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
and also what do you think about the bloating he will randomly bloat himself for like 30 min and stop why do you think? and I just gave him some banana baby food and he loved it he got 5 1/2ml ! and I got him to drink 3 part water and 1 part strawberry petalite and his beard dimmed down! ahh, he loved it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great he loved the baby food & the pedialyte. Does he blow himself up just a few
times a day or all of the time? Could he be getting ready to shed soon? They will often
times puff themselves out trying to stretch out their skin to prepare for shedding.
His beard is not as dark today?
The link which includes the pedialyte was fine.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
I haven't woken him up yet but yesterday he almost had a full white beard after the baby food! and yes he does not do the bloating constantly he might be shedding! but before he had constant bloating which I think could have been from coccidia but I could be wrong also what do you think about my vet why did the coccidia meds not work twice I'm very confused and upset about it because with those meds his coccidia got worse :cry: but I think in a few weeks when he's doing better we should go to a different vet to do the coccidia meds and stool sample bc Idk if I can trust avian and exotic animal hospital anymore. :| but guess what I just checked on him this morning and he doesn't have a black beard at all! so I gave him 3 ml baby food for breakfast and it's banana-flavored he loves it! we also got potato and also got yellow squash I hope he likes it (they are all organic and no sugar added) :D

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
he ate 12 ml of baby food today the oxbow critical care is coming tomorrow! so baby food will have to do now and he also had 6 ml of diluted Pedialyte! he's sooo pissed rn because I just gave him some dinner (6 ml) i had to force it because he did not want to take it :roll: but today he had no black beard in the morning then it got a little grayish but he's DEF getting better than before :D

lisbetha

Definitely keep him on soft food for a while. If he is passing blood, then his digestive lining is likely adversely affected. (Thankfully, this is one of the fastest healing areas in the body)

Coccidia can be a big threat to young animals and those which may be suffering from another underlying condition. In older animals, it shouldn't really impact their health.
Coccidia can also develop immunities to different treatments, so this may be a treatment resistant strain.
My EWD had a run in with coccidia, picked it up after having her a month after noticing her lips were a bit puffy and she had thick saliva - there was a little lethargy as well. Fecals were smelly, but normal. She was around 6 months old at the time.
At close to a year (and especially if it was sudden), I'd worry something else has allowed for this.

We lost one of our hens this last year due to a sudden severe coccidia infection, but it was suspected there was a (likely genetic) trigger that allowed for it as she was just 1 year old Typically, they develop a resistance to coccidia within a few months of initial outdoor exposure. Medicated starter feed is all about helping them grow that resistance and she had been medicated through her water from hatch.

Just be cautious - especially if the fecals change or get worse. Coccidia can really ravage the digestive tract faster than an already unwell animal can keep up with. The intestine lining can develope permanent scarring as well.

We spent around $1000 bucks on emergency ICU and care for our hen, but she did not pull through. I'd recommend staying on top of it and ensuring its 'just' coccidia that's the problem here.

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
lisbetha":275d6ylu said:
Definitely keep him on soft food for a while. If he is passing blood, then his digestive lining is likely adversely affected. (Thankfully, this is one of the fastest healing areas in the body)

Coccidia can be a big threat to young animals and those who may be suffering from another underlying condition. In older animals, it shouldn't really impact their health.
Coccidia can also develop immunities to different treatments, so this may be a treatment-resistant strain.
My EWD had a run-in with coccidia, picked it up after having her a month after noticing her lips were a bit puffy and she had thick saliva - there was a little lethargy as well. Fecals were smelly but normal. She was around 6 months old at the time.
At close to a year (and especially if it was sudden), I'd worry something else has allowed for this.

We lost one of our hens this last year due to a sudden severe coccidia infection, but it was suspected there was a (likely genetic) trigger that allowed for it as she was just 1 year old Typically, they develop a resistance to coccidia within a few months of initial outdoor exposure. Medicated starter feed is all about helping them grow that resistance and she had been medicated through her water from the hatch.

Just be cautious - especially if the fecal change or get worse. Coccidia can really ravage the digestive tract faster than an already unwell animal can keep up with. The intestine lining can develop permanent scarring as well.

We spent around $1000 bucks on emergency ICU and care for our hen, but she did not pull through. I'd recommend staying on top of it and ensuring it's 'just' coccidia that's the problem here.

thankfully the coccidia was not sudden he's had the smallest amount of blood in his stool when we first brought him home and we thought it was from stress so we waited 2 months till we took him to the vet and also the vet used two different types of meds so I don't think they can be immune to it and also I did not know how much a person can hate a parasite as much as I am rn :evil: and he's also in a week he's estimated to be a year old! so what do you recommend doing because we are going for a trip on April 3rd and my aunt will be taking care of him I don't think she can syringe feed him I'm worried :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom